Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Gene Winfield Interview: His "TV & Movie Cars" Book !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

SPECIAL NOTE TO ALL HERE ON THE H.A.M.B...
    [​IMG] GENE WINFIELD HAS BEEN ONE OF the most prolific Rod & Custom Builders in the Industry for over 70 years ! BUT, what many aren't aware of, is the fact that for many years Gene also created some of the most amazing "fantasy" cars & vehicles for TV Shows, Movies, Commercials, and, Special Projects !

Our early-Sunday Morning Interview at the 34th Annual KKOA Leadsled in Salina, Kansas, focused on this GREAT book of Gene's entitled "Gene Winfield's TV & Movie Cars, Commercials and Special Projects". Written by Nicholas K. Whitlow, with a Foreword by Chip Foose.
    [​IMG]
    I wanted to know how it all started...so you'll hear Gene tell the stories of his "Blade Runner" cars, the "Cut-In-Half '67 Chevrolet, "Bewitched" TV's "The Super Car" Episode, written espcially for Gene's "Reactor"...and you'll find out how you can get your copy of this SUPERB book that Gene made sure was printed right here in the U.S.A. !

If you've followed Gene's career, and heard the Interviews we've done through the year's on Gene's R&C history, simply click-on-the-link below to listen & enjoy this Master Craftsman's history of this special part of his multi-dimensional career !
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage124.html

My best to all...ENJOY !

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    catdad49 and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I had no idea about those movie cars. When people think of movie cars, they think of Barris. Thanks for posting J.K. and I hope you are doing well.

4. Always enjoy and look forward to your next guest. Gene Winfield is amazing and a human dynamo. Keep up the good work, Jonnie.

5. I always loved the work that he did on the Mike Sparrow Corvette. 55 or 56 I think. I google that name and car just to see what ever happened to........but nothing ever comes up. Very cool custom 'vette though.

6. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Jalopy Joker...You're welcome; glad you got to hear it !

jc,
    My sentiments exactly !

A few year's back in an earlier Interview Gene touched on a couple that he'd done, but this time I was blown away by the ones I NEVER knew that he did (like the "Star Trek" portion of the book)...especially when I read the entire book !!

I am doing somewhat better...and I thank you for your kind thoughts.

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

catdad49 likes this.
  7. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

hotrod1940,

Thanks ! Yes, Gene is like the "Energizer Bunny"...he never stops.
    Also, it was interesting finding out how many times Sam Foose worked with him. I knew that he did, but I didn't realize the number of times. And, as you'll hear in the Interview, Gene ALWAYS gives credit to those who've worked with him & for him.

Gene is a true gentleman !

catdad49 likes this.
  8. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Many thanks to Tim for the eMail & yes, the part in Gene's Interview about having the book printed right here in the U.S.A. does tie-in with the upcoming Labor Day...keeping the workers on U.S. soil producing products, and, helping them and their families.

If you missed it earlier here's the Link: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage124.html

Have a great weekend !

9. This is cool, thanks for the link.

10. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

54HotRod...

You're very welcome ! Like Gene says in the Interview: "Everyday's a school day !"
    We all learn some more about his life-long talents in this book & the stories he tells in the Interview: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage124.html

Thanks again,

11. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

TO ALL MY FRIENDS HERE AT THE H.A.M.B...

THE GENE WINFIELD INTERVIEW ON HIS BUILDING "TV & MOVIE CARS"... WITH A SPECIAL FOCUS ON: "BLADE RUNNER", AND, "THE REACTOR" !
    [​IMG]
    THOUGH SOME MAY NOT KNOW IT, Gene Winfield has built some amazing cars for TV, Movies, Commercials, and, Special Projects. I have revised & revamped this Special Page and added much extra Info for you. And in this Interview done in connection with his fantastic book of the same name, written by Nicholas K. Whitlow, he tells how this part of his career began.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, Gene built the 25 futuristic-flying, and, earth-bound cars, in the Original 1982 Sci-Fi Classic "BLADE RUNNER", and our Interview focuses on that, as well as his own super-car "THE REACTOR", and how he got it into the TV Studios and made it a "star" on its own !
    [​IMG] AND, WITH THE 2017 release of the sequel, "Blade Runner: 2049" that re-booted the franchise , and the Blu-ray + DVD + Digital packages of both the sequel, as well as the Original with the "Final Cut" released in 2018...it's breathed new life into this legendary film...making Gene's 2014 Interview on building the cars for the 1982 Version a "must hear" for car fanatics & "Blade Runner" fans, all-over-the world !

TO HEAR THIS EXCLUSIVE story from one of the Ultimate, All-Time Great Builders, Gene Winfield, in his own words, documenting this unique part of his career of building one-of-a-kind "TV & Movie Cars" featured in this landmark book, just CLICK-ON-RIGHT-HERE...and you're on your way !

Enjoy...and if you've got a "Blade Runner", or, "Reactor" story, share it with us here !

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  12. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

I just got off the phone with Nick Whitlow...and he said to say "Hi" to all the Hambers, and thanks for your response to the "TV & Movie Cars" book ever since it was published.

Like myself, Nick's excited about the resurgence of "Blade Runner", and remembers all of the photos & info that he went through with Gene in creating that Section of the book...and is SO happy that, once again, Gene can get the credit he deserves for building & bringing to the screen those fantastic vehicles that were the "driving force" of "Blade Runner" !

I'm really pleased to be able to share ALL of this - World Wide - with all of you on the H.A.M.B...which is truly the "driving force" of Rod & Custom lovers everywhere ! This is the Link that will take you right to the Interview:

Thanks again...and if you have any pix of any of Gene's TV & Movie cars that you want share here bring 'em on !

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

catdad49 likes this.
  13. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

HERE'S AN UPDATE FOR ALL OF YOU HAMBER'S HEADING TO ANY OF THE REMAINING "WORLD OF WHEELS" SHOWS THIS SEASON:

ONCE AGAIN, GENE WINFIELD'S "CHOP SHOP" DEMONSTRATIONS are a fantastic Feature at these Events ! And, with the re-boot of the "Blade Runner" franchise going on right now, if you attend one of the W.O.W. Shows, it's a GREAT time to meet Gene and watch him work his magic in-person !
    [​IMG] AND, WHILE YOU'RE THERE, be sure to mention that you heard his Interview here on the H.A.M.B. about his "Blade Runner" Cars, and, the "Super Car" Episode of the "Bewitched" Series that featured his "Reactor", and talk to him about those, he'll love to share any other Info he has with you ! http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage124.html

Gene will be in Kansas City, MO. this weekend (Feb. 9-11), and in Dallas next weekend (Feb. 16-19). Stop by and say "Hi !"...Gene Winfield is one of the nicest guys out there !

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  14. raymay

raymay

We can only hope to have the same energy and motivation when we reach Gene's age. He has always been a true inspiration and a real down to earth guy. I have seen him several times over the years and he will always take the time to talk cars and share ideas. When I was building my Custom 56 Chevy ElCamino we talked at some shows about my ideas and progress. In 2016 on one of his visits to our area we met again at a local cruise night and I was honored when he offered to sign the dash in the 56.

IMG_6877.JPG IMG_6878.JPG

15. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

raymay...

You are SO right ! A friend of mine met Gene when he was here in St. Louis about 4-5 years ago. Gene was about 86 at the time, and my friend said: "Gene doesn't really look that old...and he was out here in the sun & heat all day, and I don't think he was even sweating ! I hope I can even still be able to tie my shoes by myself if I ever get to that age !"

And, raymay, thanks for the pic of Gene with your ElCamino...cool car; cool guy ! You can tell that by the excitement he puts into his "Blade Runner" story...and we were doing this Interview early on a Sunday Morning after Gene had only had about 4 - 5 hours sleep ! http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage124.html

BTW: Anyone else who has any Gene pix or stories to share...do it !

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

16. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Just a note to let you know that I got a call from Nick Whitlow, the author of Gene's book, this afternoon and he said that Gene was on his way, and flying into Kansas City today, should be there right now.

Nick, weather permitting (we're supposed to have snow & sleet in our area of Missouri on Sat. & Sun.) will be driving through Missouri and into Kansas City to join-up with Gene Saturday afternoon. That will be GREAT as you can meet both Gene & Nick at the KC Show, and take some pix, and pick-up an autographed copy of Gene's "TV & Movie Cars" book...and, the cool book they both put together on "The Reactor" !

Get some pix at the show, and share 'em with us here ! Thanks in advance...and if you haven't had a chance to hear Gene's Interview...you'll love his take on building those mind-blowing "Blade Runner" cars...and you can ask him about 'em at the show ! Here's the Link: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage124.html

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018