Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP ... Jack Stewart

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Aug 8, 2014.

1. 24 Dodge

24 Dodge
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did not know Jack but from what I have heard he was a hell of a guy. RIP Jack

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

When I started doing this hot rod thing in the late 50's Jack's name seemed to be in most of the magazines of the time so i was sure he was one of the 'good guys". I'm sorry I never got to meet him..........my loss. Rest in Peace Jack.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. My best Jack story was the time we were all on Tex Smith's canoe trip in Tulsa 1976. At noon we stopped at a bend in the river for lunch and me and another guy carried Jack (the Devil) and Bob Barnes' (the Dwarf) canoe over the ridge out of sight. When lunch was done everyone jumped into their canoes and headed down stream leaving Jack and Bob scratching their heads - to the amusement of all. Condolences to Sally and Jack's family and friends and especially to Bob who was like a brother/son to Jack.
    R.I.P. Jack

HEMI32 likes this.
  4. zep058

zep058

Sad news for sure. RIP Jack

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. I haven't talked to Jack for about a year, last time was at the old spires in cerritos. he was sure to let me know how fat i have gotten. Those of you who knew Jack knew that he had a fond appreciation of pinstriping and had a pretty vast collection of panels. I was quite honored to have him tell me that the piece i gave him was one of his favorites and that he gave it a special place in his gallery. I would love to have that piece back to hang in my gallery... Jack was a cool cat with a mind like a steel trap, always had something nice to say, loved this little thing of ours and was a GREAT ambassador. He will be sorely missed.

HEMI32 likes this.
  6. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

As Altered Pilot stated , Jack was a friend and collector of several pinstripers and their art . I'm proud to say that I too have a piece hanging in his gallery . My condolences to Sally for her loss , they were a great couple . RIP

HEMI32 likes this.
  7. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, he will be missed by us all!----Jack came into the LAR club 7 card numbers (151) after me with card # 144.
    For the previous question asked----The "Deacon" was Neal East---The "Dwarf" was Bob Barnes---& the "Devil" was Jack Stewart.
    Rest in peace Jack.

8. Lil32

Lil32

This years LARS mag told us to stop in and say hello to Mr Stewart in booth N2B. Sadly I missed him. R.I.P. Mr Stewart

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

The man accomplished stuff and had a long life, A celebration of life, not death...

10. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

We met him and his wife sally last year. boy, he sure told us all about his 41 Ford and stories from past road trips and lots of stories about the ladies.. he seemed to know them all at the LA Roadster show. All around great gearhead.
    God speed.
    [​IMG]LA Roadster Show 2013_173 by PrimerPodcast, on Flickr

11. Curious if there was a memorial service for Jack? ... or did Sally chose a private funeral service (for just family & close friends)?

12. Thanks, for the info.

HEMI32 likes this.
  13. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Jack drove me around in a golf cart at LARS several times while I was there taking pics for
    hotrodhotline.com . Seemed like everyone knew him and stopped to talk to him while we were touring the show. He certainly will be missed by everyone who knew him.

14. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Glad to see that Sally is doing this for Jack, Man, what a Great guy! Really going to miss him, he was to me the LAR's! Forever a lifetime member.

HEMI32 likes this.
  15. barqsnut

barqsnut
    from Pearl, MS

I was privileged to get out of my small town Mississippi life and spend summers in L.A. in the 70's. My brother was into the still relatively small street rodding scene and also went to church with Neal East-what a contrast of characters who worked very well together. It was always fun to meet up with Jack at events because both he and my brother were jokesters and there was never a dull moment. I still have a particular non-p.c. button Jack gave me because I was from Mississippi. One of the true icons of automotive enjoyment will surely be missed.

16. A few pics from Saturday's memorial:

Jack Stewart Memorial (by Herb Martinez).jpg
    Jack Stewart Memorial (by Bruce Bartlett).jpg
    Sally and Jack\'s family (by Herb Martinez).jpg
    images by Bruce Bartlett & Herb Martinez