Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The First Dick Courtney '29 Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Aug 6, 2014.

1. @Ryan, great post...these 1940's rods always get the shaft, but to me they are the essence of Hot Rodding ~ drivers that combined speed and refinement. Good stuff!!

Hope @SUHRsc chimes in here...he's thumbed through hundreds of period pics of Hallock-equipped cars.

2. Some killer Hallock-equiped '29's I've never seen....I love this thread!

3. Fabrik8

Fabrik8

We know they borrowed the windshield to make a sandcast mold, but we don't know how they went about it. We're just assuming that they made the mold directly from the frame, but I doubt that's what they actually did. With something as long as a windshield, linear shrinkage is going to be a decent amount and would really screw up the proportions so I have to imagine they did something more complex than patterning directly to sand.

You can't really make a single piece sandcast mold with a curved/folded piece like that (it can't be poured open-faced like an ingot), so you need to make two mold halves to join together and you need to remove the original piece.
    The common method for something like a school foundry is to make a replica out of wood or something like that (easy enough with a simple windshield geometry) that has been scaled-up for shrinkage. That replica is mounted onto plywood or whatever to make cope and drag patterns for the actual sand mold; the plywood makes a nice controlled surface that the other mold half matches and mates to, and may create the parting line.

If they wanted to do something really simple and didn't care about shrinkage, they could have folded a piece of metal to make a plane matching the contour of the windshield, then used that as the joining plane for the two sandcast mold halves.

4. The two later Dick Courtney roadsters are in the collection of Ross & Beth Myers 3dog garage.

The Hallock story is on the R&C website
    http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/thehistoryof/1131rc_hallock_windshield_history/

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/thehistoryof/1131rc_hallock_windshield_history/photo_01.html

The original Courtney roadster has likely changed so much it is unrecognisable or the owner has it tucked away.
    Long term ownership does happen, Frank Currie's first Hot Rod survives, built in '47. The current owner has had it since '57.

The Bean/Tobin roadster is still around but as a street rod. Richard Campos who has owned it since the early 50s rebuilt in the 90s, that rebuilt version was in Street Rodder in 1999-2000. In Ryan's article he mentions Dick Roseberry owned the Courtney roadster in the late 50s, Dick current roadster has the original Hallock that was on the Bean/Tobin car.

HEMI32 likes this.
  5. flamingokid

flamingokid

I've cast items like bullets,lead soldiers,plastic radio knobs,and other small items.The fitment shouldn't be an issue,especially on a custom.

6. jroberts

jroberts

WOW! What a great looking '29. This thread follows up with some other really cool stuff. I love 'em.
    Ryan, thanks for starting all of this.

7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

FYI;
    Jerauld's Speed Shop was in National City, Ca., just south of San Diego. Being that close to LA could prove the car was the Junior Tucker car as mentioned or at least a connection.

As for accurate sand castings, we have to recall that post war LA was a hot bed of Aircraft plants and foundries would have been plentiful. Fun to wonder if the Hallock plug would have been accurately done by a small foundry as a small job/labor swap or could have even been done as a "side door" job by a friend or club member that worked swing shift at a plant or foundry.

Has the original #1 car (with only 3 photos) been accounted for or "lost"/possibly Street Rodded over time?...

8. ruralrod

ruralrod

Dain Gingerelli took that picture of my roadster (on top) at the LA roadster show in 2011. I had just finished it 2 days prior. It bugs the shit out of me that the headlights were wacky. That was a bolt on and go. I'll never forget that trip.
    [​IMG]

9. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I still think yours is one of the best in recent times - canted headlights or not. You have a good eye for the profile of a 29 on Deuce rails.

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I took tons of picts of your that year too, ruralrod!

11. This thread is Hamb at its best. Thanks

12. In the event that I may one day contribute to this forum as a real deal period rodder....instead of the slobbering troll that I currently am....I would love to have a Hallock or Duvall inspired channeled rod like these, featured on this thread. I just spent an hour getting lost on related HAMB threads. Man, did they build 'em back in the day. I just don't see the bitchin' sheet in todays stuff....well of course, anything can be bought...but, that is not my point.

13. ruralrod

ruralrod

Thanks boys. It's a lot of fun. Driving to Bonneville in the a.m. if the weather holds up.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Kidcampbell, send me a message and I'll shoot some pictures of a channeled '29 with a hand made Hallock type windshield that I re did for a client and couple of years ago. It's O/T here, so I won't post on the main board.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. Not a "V" windshield, but you could imagine it; Keith Landrigan's channeled deuce was on the cover of Hot Rod's second issue in 1948;
    Keith-landrigan-1932-ford.jpg

Pat Leighton took his channeled roadster for a spin at the lakes in 1949 and turned 117 mph;
    I'm totally not into postwar hot rods, but this one is BEGGING to be recreated!
    Pat-leighton-1932-ford.jpg

Will see if I can dig up more...

16. Sorry for the thread hijack!

Eddie Dye's channeled, track nosed, and belly-panned '29;
    dye.jpg
    dye2.jpg

17. i have a sick feeling that, either Dick did'nt fully build the car initially or this is falsley nammed as the Bottema Bro's roadster. i really hope i'm wrong but look at that hood!

the chrome running gear on the bottema roadster would be a give away, but if you look at the Courtney roadster it seems the body is finished along with the hood and grill, but it is on a primered to be finished chassis?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. It's funny how many people have different patterns on the glass placements. Seen some curved down to the posts, while others are slash cut to the posts. Think that's what always made me look the other way initially....the slash cut just seemed too rakish. Digging the curve to the posts on this car. Nice. Gawd, I have to delete this website from the work computer....can't put it down for the life of me.

19. ruralrod

ruralrod

I've thought about changing my glass at times. I like the slightly curved glass too.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I did a slightly more curved shape on the home made Hallock on endlessearth's car, and it made all the difference in the world. So much less wind trying to blow you glasses off!

21. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are those wheel covers louvered? That strikes me as neat. I've had the first b&w pic (with the goofy hood sides) saved as the back ground on my phone for a while too. Even though those sides sort of drive me nuts, I also sort of dig them. They just make a strange kind of sense in the olden days context.

Attached Files:

22. VStanford

VStanford

This photo was taken in front of Ken Vorce's home on 11th Street in Buena Park, California. The home in the background is still there although it has some newer additions now. I knew Dick Courtney very well. He gave me a ride in this roadster when I was a young kid in the early 1950's Dick worked with my dad in my dad's asphalt paving company, Stanford Truck and Paving, in Buena Park, CA from the early 1950's to the 1960's . I last saw Dick in 1992 at my dad's funeral. At that time Dick was suffering from lung cancer and he passed shortly after my dad. I did talk to Dick, maybe in the 1980's, when he was building the second two roadsters. I never did find out where he was building them, maybe at Frank Currier's or Ken Vorce's. Dick and Frank were high school friends and Dick would often bring Frank buy my parents home back in the 1950's. Frank Currie later owned Currie Enterprises.

Runnin shine and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  24. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

This is so Kool!!!!! I'm going to show this pic to Doc and see what he can tell me. He lived @ Jerauld's. I wish that I could get him to just chime in here, but he's really not a computer type........ IMG_6338.JPG IMG_6336.JPG IMG_5296.PNG IMG_5889.JPG
    Not real sure about this one, but perhaps Doc Knows about it.???????? IMG_0516.PNG
    Showed it to Doc, he said that the guy in the drivers seat looked as he remembered Jerauld.
    He said that Clem most likely lettered that car as they were all Road Ramblers, then I enlarged the pic and just to the right of the guy that is on the passenger side, there's a guy that looks an awful lot like Clem,kinda way down-so much so, that Doc said it was when I sent it to him...... IMG_0526.PNG IMG_0517.PNG Still don't know about the car, but all of those guys helped each other out when building them so perhaps that's why they look so similar down SD way.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Runnin shine and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Here is a photo of Dick Courtneys second roadster for comparison...... Dick Courtney# 2 005.JPG

26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

hfh, LOU WELLS and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I know these are not Dick's cars but oh where would they be with out him?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Back to the "D.C. Specials" I took this picture about 86-87 @ The All Ford Picnic at La Palma Park I believe it's plate was MUROC A. At this time it was owned by Joe Scanlon of Long Beach. This I think it is the #2 build????? IMG_0527.JPG This shot has never been published while in my torn up photo album of cars that I loved at that time in the late 80's my tastes have pretty much stayed the same;).

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  29. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I believe that is the # 2 roadster roadster that was owened by Jack Chard and then Kirk White....

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  30. roadster pu 002.JPG I'm pretty partial to the look of a Hallock style windscreen myself. I like how my glass shape turned out. It was a bitch to fit it up. Lots of work but worth it. Someday I'm going to paint this rpu and it will be nice like some of the others posted here on this thread.

LOU WELLS likes this.