Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That's Funny, I really like it when people goes and becomes the "TV-mechanic/know it all"-guys, but ending say thing, that shows how little they know. Especialy when the ends up eating Humble-pie.
    The usualy becomes Soooo nice to talk to after that! I see them all the time. :-D

And some people that states they got the best "crate"or 350/350 combo money can buy, like thats only engine in the world!

I met a guy at a weeding, with a beautiful impala, with a 283 with PP heads, 4bbl, mild cam and a powerglide. He wanted to install a 350/350, because guys in his club set that 350 was the only good V8.
    So Sad

I Think it has been a long time with out pictures of the almost no-more ugly bucket.
    You come a long way, and I'm looking forward to the next; this so-and-so is ugly and look I fixed it :-D.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

3. Good spotting Dana and yes, the coil over shock was on the early Jag's in the sixties and I know for sure that down here in NZ we had guys using coil overs from the early Triumph Herald and Spitfire Sports car way back in the early sixties too. Although is saying that, I do regret not going the cross spring way when I rebuild my Bucket instead of the custom coil over springs I had made special. Heck, it probably would of been cheaper but it would of meant a new fuel tank to be made to clear the extra cross member with the hump for the spring.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

one of the trickest T buckets of the early sixties, Frank Marasco's f-85 olds powered job, had coil-overs in '63.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, they were not unheard of in the sixties. I remember a story about Ohio George Montgomery having a pair on his Willys gasser and have to get a certificate from the manufacturer to get certified as automotive parts in '61 or so. still not what I would call traditional, personally. I keep holding up a '35-'40 rear spring I have to the back of the car and thinking...

falcongeorge likes this.
  6. 117harv

117harv

Do the spring ^^^^ :)

7. daddio211

daddio211

Nothing rides like two transverse leaf springs. Don't know why, but I really prefer that feel more than any other suspension setup. Just rides like a hot rod should in my book.

8. Just saw the post on Lake Bonneville.....really bummed for Gary and all the other people there. :(

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, I saw that too. Hope its an abberation, and not a portend for the future. Maybe I should get off my ass and not put that trip off much longer...:(

10. I believe it is, George. We got rain all weekend as well, and we DON'T get rain in July! This doesn't mean you should keep putting off the trip though (or me either, for that matter!) We ain't getting any younger!

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Jerry, who is enroute to the salt as we speak, sent me a weather forecast earlier today that shows almost no chance of rain from here on out. I also have been monitoring SCTA's Face book page today and they are actually measuring how much water is evaporating hourly, and it's lookin' pretty good at this point. Thing about us in the deserts, when water does fall, it doesn't hang around for too long!

So, on to the moment that absolutely nobody was waiting for!!! The pictures of the Rolled pan with louvers! I'm honestly not diggin' it. It's just what I thought it would be, too much with the louvered perch cover. I'll try making a plain cover and see what things look like then. SAM_6808.JPG SAM_6812.JPG

12. jer11ren

jer11ren

Chip, I would have originally said "no", but as has been said, you are the louver guy, so it is good advertising. Do you have dies for wider louvers? I'm thinking 3 wider ones on the perch cover and just one of the same on each side of the pan.... Maybe get the point across without so much going on? Still looks good as is, I just know your fishing for opinions so there is mine!

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I like it with the louvers on the perch cover and the rolled pan, BUT.... I do think it would look better with just the perch cover louvered. I don't think that leaving the louvered one on would take away from the car at all, and I don't think anyone would criticize it unless you asked (like on here, for instance haha). I will agree with the above comment that perhaps wider louvers would look pretty cool. Just what you wanted to do! Punch more louvers! In all seriousness though, I like where you're going with the covers. Makes the front end look slick and more finished. Keep up the good work!

14. I'd like to "chip" in here,:D I think three wide ones on the perch cover and then post a photo taken from further back. Thats when you would normally first see them not right up close.

15. Just my take on this; the front perch and crossmember looked just fine without the additions, no need to cover them.

16. missysdad1

missysdad1

I always seem to be the odd man out, but I like the louvers just as they are. Not overkill, especially since you'll be hard pressed to louver much of anything else on the car, bein's that it's 'glass and all...

And, as a self-made entrepreneur like Chip, I see the value of including "conversation starters" wherever possible on his personal ride to help stimulate interest in his business.

"Live to louver, louver to eat!"

need louvers ? likes this.
  17. Doesn't look like your the odd man out this time, I like them too! Now, that being said, I can see your point, Chip. I think eiher painting the panels, or (my favorite) a little time with a scotch brite pad to give them a nice brushed finish, would do wonders to help them blend in and look like they belong their.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. I like them too! I vote for paint though - go for that bright orange that you're shooting the rest of the car with and then add some Tommy the Greek-style striping in white and black to just the louvers - okay, maybe one of his signature teardrops or darts on both of the outboard sides of the pan and a speed line along the front.

[​IMG]
    (borrowed this pic from Google - original Gene Worth striping in Tommy's style)
    Steve

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You've got the right idea Steve! Pretty sure that's that ultra bitchin' '34 that Dave Lane did for George Poteet. Same color that is gonna be on the 'Bucket, and I have already talked at length with a good buddy that stripes as to exactly what you were saying. I LOVE the black and white stripes against the orange body work, and always have!

I just realized that's not the car I thought it was, but I think I know which one it is!

20. Just to throw something out there: You (currently) punch two different sizes, why not have both of them on there to show potential customers the difference?

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea. And it says "hi, I'm Chip, I punch excellent louvers and clutter up my car with over-the-top crap.":p:p :D

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Halibrand Steve might be right, it might be ok painted, but my gut level reaction is still "too much is too much." My guess is the louvered perch cover is gonna get just as many questions as having both, you dont have to bash 'em over the head with it...

whiplash1923T likes this.
  23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

If they were painted, I'd probably say, "Maybe." But as they are..... not feeling it. They're not quite gawdy, but what you do with the louvers will either be a HIT or a MISS. Watch your step, Grass hopper.

24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Absolutely, George, it doesn't take both to get the point across and with just louvered on one of them would make it a little less gaudy IMHO

25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I have to agree with this point, too...painted would help bring it all together

26. hahaha this reminds me of the old joke about "what is a camel?---- a horse designed by a committee....:D:D I'm not knocking it, it just struck me as funny------ I'm peculiar that way:p

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nah, they are going to stay in the roll pan. It only makes sense in the roll pan. I'll bend up another cover tomorrow, and leave it plain and I think things'll look a bit more appealing.

I have always avoided putting both sized louvers on the same car, as they don't really compliment each other's shape very well. What ever you do with both tends to look like a badly planned old fashioned sampler... A bunch of stuff to show that you know how to do it.

I went out tonight and did my photo shoot with a local photographer that is compiling a record of pictures of those that daily drive their vintage cars and hot rods. Had a great time and shot some shots myself. I'll load some of them in the next few days and post 'em up for you guys to see.

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You know, a good buddy of mine, my surrogate "pop" Ronnie Olmstead has had a quote forever that has always rung in my ears.... "Simple is hard". That's a very good one to have tucked in the back of your head. We are used as a society to thinking just a bit over the top is always better, that it is so hard to leave something alone and allow it to be simple...

29. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Well i like the pan now but not spring mount cover=makes too much as thought before;,gezz,Hay,,,how about beadrolling fins* into spring cover }front to back before bending to fit{tricker to bend but can be done. This would match up wirh headlight stand fin design.
    I made my own dies for my beadroller years back with 1/8in. flat peek and round bottom{1/4in. high ,but the 1/4in. round standard bead dose AOK and bends fairly EZ

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  30. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Chip;

Think the cover n pan will look good painted & 'striped, but I still think just one louver on each side of the pan, placed right in the middle of where there are 4 now, would be about right. Sorta subtle - maybe.

I'm now thinking that maybe 3 louvers on the cover, w/a little more spacing 'twixt them, would also look better.. Maybe punch up a small handful of single louver pieces, to move around as visual aids?

FWIW...

Marcus...