Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 drag truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mat Thrasher, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Hey nice to see you got it to the track and low 10's .....HELL YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!

57tailgater likes this.
  2. nice number... i think deep 9's are well within reach once you get it dialed in

3. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Thanks guys I had a blast yesterday and I'm happy with the 10.30. But the issue of falling on its face is driving me crazy.

I'm hoping my issue is I've always had 1 accelerator pump that doesn't work. It was never an issue before so I kind of forgot about it. I'm guessing it's going lean when I slam the throttle. At least that's going to be my first plan of attack.

As always I'm open to suggestions. I'll post up a couple of crappy videos so you guys can get a better idea what it's doing.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

5. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Hey Matt ... get that stumble fixed & your in the high 9's!! Impressive. Well - even impressive in the low 10's. Nice vids - keep the progress coming.

Paco

6. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

7. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

No, large base Rochesters.

8. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

man i dont know squat about them mat.
    wish i could help yu.
    good luck, and love your pick up ..

9. Man that bog reminds me of when I was tuning my tunnel ram on the Henry J. It bogged so bad I was saying to myself what the hell did it die, about the time I got to the "did" it took off again....ha ha I put more fuel to mine with bigger shooters and accelerator pumps, so maybe more fuel.

10. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

This is what I'm thinking too. I called my engine builder last night and he's saying the same thing. He told me I'd have a tough tune putting put too much fuel to a blower motor. He said it might blow black smoke if you get too much of a shot but it won't bog.

I checked and all 6 of my pumps are working. So, I'm going to start by drilling the squirters to see if that is enough. Hopefully that does it. I read you can also shim the spring to give it some more fuel. If those don't do it, I'm going to have to get creative to increase the volume of the pumps. As far as I know no one sells a high volume accelerator pump for a 2G. But I have a few ideas on how to modify mine if I need to.

11. Saxxon

Saxxon

Same problem with my dual Holleys... put in progressively bigger shooters until the bog went away. As stated, the blower creates a situation where it's hard to put in too much fuel.

Mat Thrasher likes this.
  12. Hollow65

Hollow65

What size holleys are you running and what blower? Are you guys running fuel pressure gauges?

13. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I'm not I'm running Rochester 2Gs. But maybe the other guys can comment.

14. Hollow65

Hollow65

I should've msgd Saxon, sorry. Love the truck though! That's haulin ass. I ran an 11.2 at carlsbad when I was 19 with no cage and they flipped out on me. Circle track slicks. My mph was 122. Silly trucks are great

Mat Thrasher likes this.
  15. Saxxon

Saxxon

2 x Quickfuel 650's on an old school (Stage 1) 6-71. Underdriven 5%
    I run a pressure gauge at the distribution block as well as one in my windshield so I can monitor it down track. Be more concerned about volume than pressure. I run 9 lbs at the start and no less than 6 lbs down track. but had better results when I reduced the restrictions and made sure there was enough fuel volume getting to the bowls. I ditched the expensive cool looking stainless lines and now run individual lines to each bowl.

16. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

17. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I made it back to the track today. I only got a chance to make one pass. But I accomplished my 9 second goal! I got some work to do but I'm happy for now.

The truck went 9.85 @ 142. I still can't believe the speed in a brick like this thing! Shit I didn't even close the windshield and cowl vent. :)

The hesitation was a lot better but still slight. I had drilled the squirters on 3 carbs from .034 to .040 and increased the throw and speed of the accelerator pump on 1 carb before I went up.

So I drilled another squirter and wanted to make one more pass. But there was a ton of cars there and was taking forever. My kids we're getting restless so I had to bail.

All in all I'm happy. My ultimate goal with this thing was to have a pump gas and driven anywhere 9 second street car. So for now I'm good......

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408907187.016074.jpg

AHotRod likes this.
  18. DIXON

DIXON

Congratulations!!! That's a hard thing to achieve! And your MPH is ridiculous!!!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    Mat Thrasher likes this.
  19. NICE!!!! Lets RACE!!!!

Mat Thrasher likes this.
  20. pila38

pila38

WOW!!!!

Do you really care what I used to post this message?

Mat Thrasher likes this.
  21. GREAT!!!!
    Happy for ya man!

Mat Thrasher likes this.
  22. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

23. Saxxon

Saxxon

Very cool

Mat Thrasher likes this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

Mph a little slow for the ET you get off it in the traps or what?

25. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

That's awesome, Mat!!
    I can't wait to see what your 60' time and overall does, once you get the carbs working for you.

Mat Thrasher likes this.
  26. Damn near 1/2 second quicker, it's very satisfying to see your own hard work rewarded !

Mat Thrasher likes this.
  27. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Well I guess my hot rod season is over for this year. I dropped the truck off a Summit to sit on one of their turntables for the next month.

I have to say it's a good ending to a great season. Starting with being picked for the Dirty Dozen by the Slick Devils at the Asylum/Cleveland Autorama, going to shows almost ever weekend, countless trouble free miles and putting it in the 9's!

I can't wait to get it back in the shop to get it ready for next year!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  28. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

29. That's a prestigious platform Mat, your truck is among some rare air and very deserving. What a way end the season.

Mat Thrasher likes this.
  30. Awesome... Congrats

Mat Thrasher likes this.