Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model T chassis with 8ba Flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fartman, Aug 6, 2014.

1. fartman

fartman
    from adelaide

Hi guys are there any threads on here where someone has put a 8ba Flathead into a 1926 Model T chassis?.I am in the middle of doing this and could use some advice,thanks Martin

2. Squablow

Squablow

I don't think I've ever seen that done. The stock T chassis is so noodle-y, you would absolutely have to box it and add a bunch of crossmembers to keep it rigid. My '26 is on an A frame with an early 24 stud Flathead and the body seems to fit on there just right. I have heard that the TT truck frames are pretty beefy and take a V8 nicely though.

Would be very curious to see pictures of a v8 in an original T car frame and hear how it was done.

3. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

I have a T frame here in Oz with an flathead and there is a couple of race cars here with the same setup,but mine is a little different in that i flipped the chassis upside down and am running a suicide axle/or rollin bones front (as they seem to call it here).so stock t front crossmember upside down.This is what i have done to strengthen it,I used a second chassis and put the rail inside the other, so it has a inner rail,it is then bolted through the horizontal flanges in the rails.the chassis rail on the inside has been drilled with lightning holes the entire length.which helps with access to bolts and reduces weight.
    Now there is a lot of debate about T frames needing to flex because of the metal they are made from/designed as part of the cars movement yarda yarda,but there is no denying they are quality metal,so i have taken the approach of stitch welding the edges together about every 4 to 5 inches with about one inch welds,so i hope i have gotten close to more then enough strength and kept a little flex for the weight of the engine .
    A friend that races his T V8 here welded tube in the shape of and to provide rigidity sideways of a belly pan.So u,s from rail to rail,as a funny note it is sheeted in alloy inside and out to fool the tech inspectors!who havnt picked it yet.I will probably do the same for leg protection mostly.
    Now all that been said i apologise as i don't know how to post pics and my car is waiting to be completed as i am finishing up my 1946 flathead ute(almost done).Johnny

4. Squablow

Squablow

^^ I'd like to see pics of that. I've heard of guys using a second set of T rails inside the first set to make a boxed frame, but I don't know if I've ever seen one. I would think it'd be plenty strong that way. Very interesting. What body does it have on it?

5. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

The rails worked out well and i was able to lineup factory bolt holes in both.It has a simple composite alloy(cowl,doors and hood) and metal body, tapered tail, i have made,same width as frame. trying for a 1920,s 30,s dirt track car. The engine is on mounts bout 5 inch tall to get good pan clearance.I need to get maybe get the app so i can simply post pics from my phone or get help.i,m really not behind the eight ball with computers act Johnny

6. fartman

fartman
    from adelaide

Thanks Guys,heres my email address if its easier for you to send some pics (Asphalt Demon) [email protected] I havnt boxed the chassis yet as i have only just welded in the motor mounts,it only just fits with no room left for the steering shaft,which means i will probably need to put a speedway style out side of the chassis steering.looking for one if any one wants to sell me one,i will try and post some pics,thanks Martin

7. fartman

fartman
    from adelaide

8. fartman

fartman
    from adelaide

the rear spring mounts will need to be moved further apart to fit the spring properly,as this rear end came out of another car. does anyone reconise the T front end as i havnt seen one like this before.

9. fartman

fartman
    from adelaide

engine mount.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 015.JPG
      015.JPG
      File size:
      817 KB
      Views:
  10. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

That is a stock T front with accessory shocks of some sought,I have seen lotsa different kinds.but am not a T man, post a thread and someone will identify them. I will try email you some pics. Is your email Australian because it would be almost impossible to register with t rails and the v8? Or is this a race car? My chassis is stepped 10inch in the rear and I am running Schroeder sprint car steering . Johnny

11. fartman

fartman
    from adelaide

Thanks for the reply Johnny,my email is Australian.i live in Adelaide.this project is my 13yr old sons car,the plan is to just get it running and i need to build a sub rails and floor for the pickup body as there is none,and run it on permits or maybe club rego?.and eventually if i come across a nice running and rolling Model A chassis then transfer the body onto that.

12. fartman

fartman
    from adelaide

do you know where i can get a Schroeder sprint car steering?.

13. 55willys

55willys

Check out fastrnu build thread 26-27 all Ford by Ford. It uses 2 T frames and is quite ridged. We are using a turbocharged 2.3 Ford in it but at one point had a flathead sitting in it. Jim Ford

14. fartman

fartman
    from adelaide

55Willys do you have a link to that thread or post,thanks Martin

15. 55willys

55willys

I don't know how to make a link but if you type in "26-7 T Modified all Ford-by Ford" in the search it will be there on the general hamb forum. If someone could tell me how to do a link I would do it. Jim Ford

16. 55willys

55willys

17. fartman

fartman
    from adelaide

thanks for the thread and reply 55Willys

keith27T likes this.
  18. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

The shroeder steering is still available brand new around $600 last time i looked. they do pop up on ebay occasionally. mine came from an old sprint car friend.
    If that is on the expensive side for you, look at alternatives like f1 boxes, a lot of early push pull boxes can be converted to cowl type steering. a friend has a hk box in his 32 he used as well as it was cheaper.search on here i,m sure theres lots of alternates.Looks like you have just enough room to run lakes headers? I am curious whats that quick change brand? photos a little blurry,but i have been considering one for my car Johnny

19. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

I will just apologise for the slow response i have been away 4 out of five weekends recently and have not forgotten about this. If you do go ahead with the boxing of the chassis if you cannot find a second one to use .The rule of thumb for thickness of boxing metal is it is only as strong as the horizontal flange of the chassis! which means it is pointless using a heavier gauge metal then that part of the chassis. Johnny

20. fartman

fartman
    from adelaide

Thanks for the reply Johnny,im not sure what to do with this,wheather to stop with the T chassis and build it on a Model A chassis.the car is for my 13 yr old son and it needs to be able to get regestered and i dont think it will pass on the T chassis,and i dont know how to put hydraulic brake onto the T spindles,the quick change is a Winters.cheers Martin