Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Carb dumping too much gas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by butch27, Aug 6, 2014.

1. butch27

butch27

Still have trouble with the Edelbrock 600 on a MILD 302" Ford with headers and stock heads from 1972. I've put in smaller jets and needle valves and yet the thing just carbons up my side pipes!! Just installed Autolite 46 plugs to run hotter but no luck. I've had this thing apart 3 times. Help!

2. Do you have an electric fuel pump?? If so do you have a pressure regulator on it??
    if not put one on.

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

What Fuzzy said.

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

What Fuzzy said, plus make sure your needles, seats, and the input feed area are spotlessly clean.

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I checked Edelbrock's web-site. Their carbs like 5.5 lbs of pressure. My stock pump put out 8 lbs so I installed a regulator.

6. same setup my son-in-law has on his car and it runs ok, maybe the float valve can't hold back the fuel.

40fordtudor likes this.
  7. Do you know how much manifold vacuum it makes at idle and at cruising speed? Are you using a vacuum advance on the distributor? Maybe the timing's a bit retarded or you need a lighter spring under the power pistons.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Vacuum? What does vacuum have to do with carb function?:eek: I thought they just dumped the gas in?? At least, thats what I have always read on the HAMB....o_O;)

9. butch27

butch27

It has the stock fuel pump (nostalgia rod) and I will check the pressure and install a reg. if needed. It just seem strange to me I just rechecked the floats ,,set at 7/8" and 1 and 7/8" full drop.

10. I think the only place where gas gets DUMPED is into the gas tank. When it gets to the carburetor is where things get confusing. o_O Some folks say that vacuum SUCKS the air and fuel into the engine. Other folks say that the vacuum causes the atmospheric pressure to PUSH the air and fuel into the engine. :eek:

We may never know the truth... :rolleyes:

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Not everyone can find a way to mix a music video into a tech thread...:D

PUMPKINHEAD likes this.
  12. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

I'm not sure observing your side pipes is the best way to know what's happening in the combustion chamber. Also changing the heat range on the spark plugs does not fix a bad mixture. This site might be helpful
    http://www.wallaceracing.com/plug-reading-lm.html

13. butch27

butch27

I can read the plugs and they carbon up very quickly.

14. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

Thanks @falcongeorge ....came here to see what's causing @butch27 problem and now I'm feeling hungry for some Jamaican jerk chicken and meat pies:D

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

What year is the 302? I'm betting the PSI is around 8 or maybe 9.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

:D[/QUOTE]
    And not only is it a great tune, its also a somewhat cryptic answer to Claymarts (humourous) question...

17. BLAKE

BLAKE

I'd put everything back to 'stock' for a 600cfm performance calibration (Metering Jets - Primary .100, Secondary .095; Metering Rods - .070 x .047; Step-Up Spring - orange (5" Hg)), and then read and follow the step-by-step tuning procedures in the Edelbrock Carb Owners Manual.

Also, what's your choke doing?

18. Ought to be pretty tricky then to talk about the hydrostatic equilibrium of atmospheric pressures and explain that one :)

19. butch27

butch27

The engine is from a 1978 Ford. The fuel pump is a Jeg's and no one else in our club has had this problem. AND there is 4 Buckets wit Ford engines.

20. So how does this thing run ?
    What's your cranking compression ?
    Static compression, cam choice ?
    Pic of the plugs?

Proper plug reading -
    fresh set of plugs,
    find a free way on ramp or race track,
    WOT then shut ignition off at WOT
    Coast to side,
    Pull the plugs and see what's going on.

A low compression smog headed engine with a lumpy cam that idles and lopes around will not run right.

Carbon on your side pipes excluded please

21. You have been given a great and wonderful gift. Be sure to use it wisely... :rolleyes:

Cryptic, eh??? Guess that means I'll have to listen to it over and over until I decipher the secret meaning. o_O

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Try playing it backwards...;)

23. Hydra-mat... hydro-scop... hydro-phob... ? :oops: Ummm... What was that first part again? :mad:

31Vicky's right. We need more details about how it starts. How it idles. How it accelerates. How it goes down the road.

24. butch27

butch27

Choke is wired open- no need for it in T Bucket--The car starts in an instant and runs great except at red lights it seems to quickly idle up and I have to burp the pedal and it goes right back to nice idle . I just rebuilt another 600 today and am installing it for test this week end. This it nuts!

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Just pulling something out of my ass, I'd start by looking at the power piston spring.

26. Idle up means it's getting air too someplace

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, they just dump in fuel, unless you jet them to a smaller size.:rolleyes::confused:

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fuel is pulled into the vacuum.

Nature abhors a vacuum, and so does my wife.

Muttley likes this.
  29. Weak throttle return spring? Secondary throttle plates not closing fully? Stuck power pistons? Metering rod tips bent? Do you see fuel dripping from the main nozzles at idle?

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I agree with Vicky with a hemi. its probably sucking wind. Honestly, trying to diagnose tuning problems of this nature over the internet is like throwing darts...blindfolded.