Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical T-Bucket rear coilovers.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John 79, Aug 6, 2014.

1. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

2. 55willys

55willys

I am not a fan of coil overs so I would use a T-spring with about five leaves in it. weigh the back of the car, subtract the unsprung weight and that is the coil over spring size. Jim

3. Lad_RoadDevils

Lad_RoadDevils

What type are you currently running? Some coilovers have damping adjustment. There should be a knob for damping adjustment if your coilovers have that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilover

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

John, did you get your old 'bucket back? I haven't seen it in a bit. I'm in the same boat. Unknown coil value, unknown manufacturer, just way too stiff for my tastes. The sad part is when I put this chassis together for the guy I built the car for, I begged him to do an early Ford cross spring because they are so tunable!

So after lots of study and calculations, what I have figured out is something in the 125lbs range should do the trick for us. Jack the car up, measure the free length of the spring, measure the coil diameter, and hit the Speedway catalog and see what you can find, but I'm pretty sure 125lbs is where we both need to be.

5. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Yeah, i bought my old bucket back. The guy i sold it to just had it sitting four years.

[​IMG]

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

My Son is running 140 pounders on the back of his t bucket and that seems to work well, it rides and handles great. I chose the same ones for the back of my rpu because I didn't want a harsh ride (even though it weighs more) and if I need to change to heavier ones when I get it on the road I will.

I had a conversation with Mickey Luria of Total Performance one time about this subject and he said people go too stiff on coilovers. He felt 140 was about right, and I bought both sets from him.

Don

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sounds to me like I will end up putting softer coils on my RPU once it hits the road.
    The shop I bought them at insisted that I would need 250 pounders. I have the all American coil overs from TCI.
    I have a feeling they will be too stiff.