Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Vintage headlight half shields??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57MoreDoor, Aug 5, 2014.

1. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

I was wonder exactly how old these are? I've tried researching but no luck. The cool thing about these is they don't have the two holes to clear those headlight points. I'll have to grind those points down but does anyone know the era of these half shields?

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407249149.088226.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407249188.045979.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407249198.465712.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. They were a cool item I know in the 50's and 60's. Can't speak for any earlier than that.

3. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

I can remember having them in '59. Tom..

4. On my Aunts '53 Ford circa 1961. Yes that's a 10 yr. old me. Note that the shields, (we called them cat's eyes) were canted. 08052014.jpg

FlynBrian likes this.

5. They were widely available through mail order catalogs like Honest Charley and J. C. Whitney back in the day.

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They were supposed to cut glare. I would say they came out about 1960 and were popular for 2 or 3 years. Auto parts stores and auto dealership parts departments that sold accessories had them.

There was an earlier version that looked like the peak on a baseball cap. They came out about 1950.

7. Not to de-rail this post but, does anyone (particularly from the South) remember the two-tone round cushions that were popular about the same time as these shields? They were maybe 12-15 inches in diameter and the colors were stitched in a pie shape on them. You displayed them in the corners of your package tray and they were available in colors to match your car. If you had a Black & White '56 Ford you had B&W cushions, if you had a Red and White '55 Chevy you had R&W cushions, etc.

8. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

I have a set on the 57 right now but they're newer, cheap chrome plated steel, with the two holes. I'll put these vintage ones on soon.

Does anyone know about the brand/company?
    Schwartz-Light, Chicago Illinois

9. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

Sounds interesting, wouldn't mind seeing what you're talking about

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. .............................I've searched on the net to no avail. I think it was one of those short-lived trends and may have been only popular in the South.

11. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

My dad had him on his '34 coupe in 1954 in Portland Oregon.

12. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

What did they look like exactly and what was their purpose?

13. The headlight thingy was to reduce glare in fog or rain, the cushion was for your girlfriends knees or head, your preference! The headlight thingies were around a lot more that a few years, I've seen them on the rectangle lights of the 80s and newer
    BTW I've never seen or heard of the cushions so they either before the mid sixties, or didn't catch on here in Wisconsin.

14. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

I got side tracked from my own topic and thought Mad034 was talking about those cushions. Yeah I'm familiar with the purpose for the shields, and supposedly you can run your high beams. If these are truly from 50s or 60s that's cool. I never liked how most have those two holes cut into them

15. .......................................................Sorry. My fault for even bringing those cushions into the discussion.........................Don.