Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Chev ute, it's an Australian thing.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 49CadiClubCoupe, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Hi all

Thought I would start a build thread on my new project - maybe it will help to provide some motivation to kick this along! My other Cadillac build thread is frozen in time!

So you know the drill, some day time procrastination on the computer finds you a 1950 Chev ute for sale about 1500 miles from home. Price seems good, you phone the owner and he gives you a run down on condition - work to be done however nothing too scary. Before you have even really thought about it, you say those exciting yet scary words "I'll buy it".

You make the deal over the phone, car gets shipped to you a few weeks later and two things become clear. Firstly - if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is and secondly some people are just lying scumbags.

What to do? You have this thing in your factory and you figure you may as well do something with it before it totally crumbles to rust! This baby has been sitting outside for so long that the bottoms of the rims have rusted off! The interior, which according to the seller was fine, is shredded and full of dirt, rocks and sticks. Thankfully no man killing spiders, snakes or crocodiles. Filled a bin with all the crap that came out of it. I think most of the dirt and mud on the floor was structural - time to order some new floor pans.

I have started pulling it apart to get the body off the chassis to see how rusted it is. Fingers crossed I can reuse it. The front is now off it, including the toasted grill - another item that was described by the previous owner as in good condition. I am taking this on as a project as a F YOU to the guy who sold it - I look forward to sending him a picture when done! Surprisingly, what is not rusty is pretty straight,..well thankfully really.

I am a fan of 50's era Kustoms so am planning a mild Kustom vibe. Change the grill, dechrome a little, rear wheel covers and a few other tweaks. This will be no 350 crate engine build- I have already picked up a 235 to replace the original 216. It will get a new cam, Fenton pipes, dual intake and some polished alloy pretty bits.

In case you dont know, GM here in Australia or to us Holden was originally a body builder. Before we introduced our own "ute" or pick up as our US cousins call them we had Chev send out bits which we would convert into a ute. So for this body style made from 1950 - 1954 Chev would send out a chassis and body from the back of the doors forward and Holden would build the rest to make it into a ute. I think they made about 4,000 of them over this time. Interior and front is all Chev which will make replacing some bits a lot easier!

Come along for the ride!

Attached Files:

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

THAT is going to killer!

49CadiClubCoupe likes this.
  3. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

Yours brought back a flood of memories....Sure did like'm and still do !!!!!

Attached Files:

4. Do you still have yours?? :)

5. Have you seen Josh Jardines car? Its fucking perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Yes Nick, his and the black one getting about are my inspirations. Well to be honest, reason I bought mine. I was looking at a pic of Josh's on line and started googling them to learn a bit more about them,..soon afterwards I bought mine ;) Have messaged him a few times on FB for details too which has been helpful.

7. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

I have liked the look of these cars for years . MoonEyesChristmasShow2012028.jpg

8. Looking forward to watching what you do with it. :)

9. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I knew Josh as a kid, when I wasn't much older, I used to hassle his old man checking out the hot rod in their shed! hahaha, That ute is a very nice bit of gear! look forward to seeing yours come together!

Spoggie and 49CadiClubCoupe like this.
  10. Nice lines !! JW

11. Looks like you have the makings of a nice Ute.......note that 1952 was the last Chev Ute, none were made by Holden after 1952 as the FX Holden Ute was introduced in 1951 and basically stole the Chevs thunder.....either way they are neat cars....err Utes.......lol.........same basic body style from 1949 to 1952.........those 2, the maroon and the black one are real credits to their owners and as you say, are inspirations........regards, andyd

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

13. ausbuick

ausbuick

Bloody hell Cam you better not forget about the caddy or is going to be the parts chaser..........
    Hahaha Cheers Darren

14. Kurto

Kurto

Great project! They do clean up nicely as a mild custom.

15. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I know a guy in the states that has two, one a perfect restoration, delicious vehicle.

16. BLAKE

BLAKE

That black one touched my no-no place when we were down under…

[​IMG]

17. Nice, it does not look so bad? Maybe you need detail pics to show the bad areas. Yes, 49-52 are the Chevy years for this style. Use four-door front doors.

18. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Not everyday you see a trad Ute build. Subscribed!

19. autobilly

autobilly

Looks like a fair place to start. If you're aiming for/inspired by those other two, it'll be killer.

20. Thanks for the support and tips/info everyone, yeah that black one is the one that had me googling straight away :)

Will be happy to post some more pix of the bad areas. I am not a beater, just basic experience so it will be a good learning project. :)

I feel dirty every time I walk past the Caddy Darren, and I say to myslef "it's ok baby, I will get back to you I want to do you properly - this new one is just for some quick fun"! It will be my work ute, needs to be clean but not show quality. Deciding on the timber for the tray will be fun, we are both in similar jobs btw.

Anyone who has suggestions on possible rear lights and a bumper I would be interested to hear your thoughts. Originally they had no real rear bumper bar, and the small rear lights were set on the panel below the tail gate.

ausbuick likes this.
  21. Looking forward watching the build, cool little cars/trucks

22. camerl2009

camerl2009

cool I like the looks of the 70's falcon utes as the EL Caminos and the rancheros don't look all that nice

23. Eric H

Eric H

I just fell in love with Josh's car. Congrats on the new project and keep us updated.

24. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

Sorry Mate, that photo was taken in Victoria in 1974....have NO idea where it might
    be now......But sure do miss is...

25. Looks like there was still a bit of "ghost lettering" on the door in one of your pics. How about a closer shot of that area if you get a chance? :cool:

26. Took a few quick pix of some progress and some of the worst bits of rust. Nothing as bad as I have seen saved here - just a bit scary for a novice like me. However if you want to learn, roll the sleeves up!

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and PraiseDLowrd like this.
  27. scotti32

scotti32

Love the look of those utes when mild custom. Looks like heaps to do there.

28. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

Dang!!! that thing is so cool!!!

Eric H likes this.
  29. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I think that bumper guard taillights are a perfect choice for your ute ... especially since it was originally built without fender-mounted units.

30. Eric H

Eric H

I need this.