Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Necessity really is the Mother of Invention

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 2, 2014.

1. seatex

seatex

I put the left one on first!

volvobrynk and falcongeorge like this.
  2. seatex

seatex

A thinking man! I haven't had to join the SF's yet, but after 33 yrs. of marriage, well, it IS a consideration!

3. tomb23

tomb23
    from Oregon

Couldn't find reproductions of the Handle Boot or The Shifter Knob 55-59 GMC
    So had to think of a way to make them!

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. tomb23

tomb23
    from Oregon

DSCF1390.JPG

5. They look great but tell us what you did. HRP

6. NOPSI

NOPSI

Tiddlywinks also work well.

7. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Love that dash and selector shot. Everything looks indestructible!

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Pretty cool stuff HRP!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. engine 006.jpg When I made the finned air cleaner for my tri-power set-up I used three old light shade bases from a ceiling fan light kit I wasn't going to use as hold down trim pieces.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

American infinity still alive in our hobby. This is how our fathers kicked Hitler's ass!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

33sporttruck and volvobrynk like this.
  11. Yeah,that is definitely using something that may have ended up in the trash,,and it looks custom made at that! HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X2, more details. I REALLY like those!

13. There are some really great ideas on this thread!!

14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Years ago I had to replace the hi beam indicator jewel on a 40 ford dash, I used the small red jewel from an old shit canned stud finder.

15. great thread subject...and some great ideas. Here's a few of mine: The outer tailight rings in my avatar pic were made from stainless steel dog dishes. The '63 lenses were about 5/8 smaller than the '57 housing.
    The chrome rings around my cowl drain tubes are plumbing floor flanges.
    My windshield wiper motor was moved to inside the cowl, I gained access via a weatherproof outdoor electrical box moulded to the cowl. Ignore the red arrows..I was using this pic to show someone the location of the infamous rubber cowl drain tubes.
    I've got a dozen more..need to find pics.

Attached Files:

• 391.JPG
      391.JPG
      File size:
      114.9 KB
      Views:
    • 424.JPG
      424.JPG
      File size:
      144.5 KB
      Views:
    • 829.JPG
      829.JPG
      File size:
      141.1 KB
      Views:
    • 614.JPG
      614.JPG
      File size:
      167.7 KB
      Views:
  16. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Needed a quick tool to align the oil pump so I could drop the distributor in........grabbed a handy piece of sched 40 sprinkler pipe, drilled and forced a brass nail thru and Bob's yer Uncle! tool.JPG

17. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

18. Tech week already?

I love the simple ones that everyone can do!

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

19. a couple more....sorry, not traditional by any means, but the "thinking outside the box" theme is there... I used stainless sink drains for the outer ring on my back seat cup holders. The cup holders themselves are chrome Bed Bath and Beyond bathroom cotton ball jars.
    The main framework for my console is from a porch swing.
    I used a gate hinge on my gas pedal. I have 3/8 padding under the carpet, so the thickness was no problem. (I needed a cable throttle control, but wanted a more traditional floor pedal...thus the "different" linkage setup) This was the trial fitting, I had not cut the pocket in the carpet and padding yet in this pic.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  20. Love this kind of stuff. It's why I never throw anything away. I can't count the number of times I've pulled some piece of 40 year old scrap out of my stash to solve the problem of the day. The heavy seat-belt floor mounts make good brackets for engine mounted stuff and they are shinny.

21. Speaking of seats...I used Unistrut from Lowe's for my seat tracks. Unistrut is a very heavy duty channel used by electricians and heat/air folks to hang heavy equiptment. All the angles, tee-nuts and hardware made for it are very heavy duty, and cheap. It's available in at least two different widths, and you could always tack weld a few together for added height if needed. I used my original oem mounting holes to mount the track, then the angle pieces to get it to match up to the seat's track.

Attached Files:

22. mike bowling

mike bowling

Made the shifter in my coupe with the original 5 spd base, a piece of metal tube I found in the parking lot at Home Depot, and part of a model A shifter that I cut and re-threaded for a 5 spd knob. I love walking around hardware stores and having the clerk ask" Can I help you find something?"and answering"No thanks; I won't know what it is till I see it." They give you really funny looks!Great thread- way to go HRP.

Attached Files:

23. letncat

letncat

X3

24. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I know that feeling well. But I start in the garage. Walking around. Looking on shelves, in drawers, boxes, etc. waiting for the solution to jump out at me.

I nothing comes of it I'll continue at the store. Figure something out every time.

25. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

What a great thread!! Thanks for starting this one HRP. And thanks to all that show their ingenuity. This ones giving us pack-rats justification for ways. LOL

26. Model T1

Model T1

Thanks everyone. Now when my wife asks why I keep all that junk I have another excuse.
    Also, ya ever notice after you throw away that crap you've been falling over for years you find something you could have used it for.:(

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. I know you traditional guys probably don't have any metric tools in your boxes, but sooner or later.... you're gonna run into trying to mate up metric engine components to sae products. I ran into that with the heater inlet/outlet from the engine. My solution came in the form of heavy duty shrink tubing..this stuff is about .02 wall thickness, adding about .04 to a tube dia.
    While your shopping the isles of Lowe's, swing by the tool dept and pick up a bottle of DuPont liquid teflon. This is a teflon powder suspended in alcohol...great for freeing up old sticky cables, like hood release cables, heater cables, w. wiper cables, ect. Just get the cable in a vertical position and drip the fluid thru it till it starts coming out the other end. After the alcohol evaporates, it leaves the teflon coating....works great.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  28. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

510.JPG A sink strainer basket made a pretty decent trim ring for the gas filler in the bed of my truck.

Texas57 likes this.
  29. This is not a household item but I found this at the upholstery supply when I was buying the material for the wagon.

I needed something to clean up the line between the vinyl on the door panel and the carpet.

This is aluminum trim for a the landau tops,but it works great for my purpose,,most people think it's factory interior trim. HRP

[​IMG]

30. This is the last of the making usable parts out of junk.

The wagon didn't have pull straps for climbing in the back seat but did have provisions to make and add them so Dave whipped up a couple of straps.

With them made and in place they really looked unfinished so I started looking for some sort of cap and I found this piece at Brads North Georgia swap meet.

006.JPG

005.JPG

Believe it or not this is 1966 VW running board trim,,well a couple of inches of each end. HRP