Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Lousiville Streetrod Nationals.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tierod, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Can someone tell me what is the gray round part on that sbc. I can't remember ever seeing that.

2. With 147 photos it would help to know which photo you are asking about. HRP

3. Sorry that would be pictures 89 and 90

4. It's a blower...Oberhausen.

Electric centrifigal superchargers run by an electric starter motor. The supercharger adapted to any and all cars, and it could be used with the stock carburetor. Put on a stock 283 cu. in Chevy engine, Oberhausen advertised that the supercharger would give a 65% boost, and a 107 horsepower increase.

Oberhausen superchargers were produced by Oberhausen Engineering Corp in Atlanta, Georgia.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. zjerry

zjerry

Nice pic.. I was a member of St.Louis Street Rod Association..
    Mike's 1941 Chevy still looks good..
    [​IMG]

6. I have now learned some thing today, so much cool stuff to learn and getting to see all the pictures that people posted I see so many different things, Thanks.

7. I've see that before.

Yeah,,found the photo,this belongs to a fellow Hamber. HRP

[​IMG]

chriseakin likes this.
  8. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Damn it.... I forgot all about it being this weekend....

9. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

I enjoyed the show and being local it was a good long day. I got to see a chevy chevette, now that qualifies as a hot rod. I spent a lot more time outside than inside this year. Might be me but the inside stuff is a little stale.

10. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Tierod - you ALWAYS take the best pictures - thanks.

11. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Thanks for the pics. I was on the fence as to go or stay home. Friday afternoon I decided not to go this year. It looked like excellent weather and a good turnout. I was in Salina last week-HAMB drags the 16th and then the Frogfollies. Things just got to jammed up for me at the end of Summer. I appreciate your post.

12. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I went for the first time and had a blast. I drove my '40 coupe and Youngrodder drove in his '38 sedan. We ran into Bob K and some of the local guys I met when I was on the Bourbon Run. There were some really nice cars there. I was impressed with the facility and how well the event was ran. Good swap meet and every vendor you could think of. I have a few pictures I'll post later.

13. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

The tents you referred to are a fairly recent institution. Clubs used to bring their own tents (for sun shelter - try spending 4 days of bright sun and usually 95+ temp) but following wind storm damage to vehicles, it was decided that the Fairgrounds would provide tents on a sign-up basis and of course collect rent. You should feel free to "browse the tents" as you like but I share your feelings of walking into someone else's turf. The height of self confidence would be to walk into a tent, open the cooler, select a beverage and then pull up a chair and introduce yourself. Re prices, the Louisville NATS doubles as the nation's largest automotive fishing expedition. One older participant told me his offer of $42,500 was accepted by the owner of a glass bodied '34 three window with an asking price of $59,900. If the vehicle you're interested in is still there Sunday PM, it can often be bought really right. Great pix, thanks for posting.

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

Lucas, what ever gave you the impression the tents are rented by the NSRA? That couldn't be further from the truth. Where on earth did you come up with your incredulous tent story? They are NOT a recent addition. We've been renting tents at the NSRA Nats in Louisville for the last 12-15 years.
    FYI, trust me the tents are NOT rented by the NSRA. They are rented by the event participants, clubs, individuals,etc. We rent one from a tent company every year. If I were you, I wouldn't drive or "browse" into someone's tent and start drinking their beverages and eating their food. It might be hazardous to your health.
    I wish it was that easy to rent a tent from the NSRA.
    We get up early on Wednesday, stake out an area, call the tent company by cell phone and tell them where we want the tent set up. The cost is usually around $450. The good news is come Sunday you just drive away from it.

BTW, who would pay $42,500 for a glass 34 three window? Or drop their asking price by $16,500?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I've always wondered about tent rental. But I can't imagine having to stake out your spot. I wonder why the tent folks don't take reservations in advance? Or just put up as many tents as they can and then rent the spot(s) to car owners as they arrive. How many cars can fit under a single $450 tent? Gary

16. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I was curious about the tents too so I walked up to somebody in one and asked about it. They told me they got there VERY early on Wednesday (before sunrise) and sat there holding their spot until the tent company got around to them. Which he said was about 12 hours later. He said it cost them about 150.00 per person for this particular tent which was one of the larger tents.

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

The tent companies do take reservations for the rentals in advance. It's imperative you have reservations way in advance. We reserve ours about six months in advance. The problem is the Louisville Fairgrounds does not allow tents to be erected until Wednesday the day before the Nats begin on Thursday. Its up to those renting the tents to choose the location. Its first come first serve on the location. The more coveted locations are those close to the air conditioned exhibit halls and indoor rest rooms. Tents are not erected that quickly. It takes almost the whole day before they are all set up.
    We don't park our cars under our tent, thats for our chairs and to keep us out of the sun. We park our cars around the tent perimeter. If you did want to park under a $450 tent you could fit at least eight cars.
    BTW its just not one company that supplies the tents its many. I doubt there's any one rental company that would have that many tents.
    Renting a tent sure beats having to park in the north forty black top parking lot that has no shade.
    Gary

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  18. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

That's interesting on the tents. I'm local and retired. If anybody wants me to show early next year to stake a claim send me a PM and I will do it for parking my lawn chair and beverage cooler in the tent. I've been doing the nationals the hard way a long time. Not sure if my truck will be ready next year or not.

19. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

We have played the tent rental game for years. Wednesday is the set up day. The gates open around 5:00 am and it is a land rush, first come first serve. Some guys take getting their favorite spot real serious as in ass kicking serious. We just get out in the middle of the lot and laugh at them. Just have fun and roll with it.

20. Ass whoopin, I'd get there early just to watch that Joe

21. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

we may take you up on that! we will keep you in mind,and you do the same for us!

22. __________________________________________________________________________________________
    You are 100% correct. I got the blower from GMCBubba about 6-7 years ago. We just acquired the correct car (the orange 31 roadster) to put it on this past November. I tried to get the car for 15 years. The car has been a local hotrod since 1955 and our friend we got it off of had owned it since 1962.

Since the blower was only produced from 1957-1959 it was a natural fit. Tom Culbertson was instrumental in getting it going and sorting out the bugs. It runs surprisingly well and could not be happier with the set up.
    The blower puts out a lot of air when activated on the work bench. With no boost gage, no pop off valve and an electric motor that seems to have no top end, I have not pressed the button yet. Trying to keep several old cars at our place in top running condition is a job within itself...lol. Not to mention I have no desire to put a new motor in the roadster during prime cruise weather in Indiana.

23. Thanks for bringing that roadster. We spent a bunch of time studying that blower and also browsing your pictures. Its really really cool.

24. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

25. Great pics...... thank you

26. phantompjcoupe

phantompjcoupe
    from chicago

Thanks for all the great pics! I miss going to The Nats. Your pics shove it home a bit more. I will have to make it a priority to start going back there next year.
    :)

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Come on guys, start a proper 2015 thread! Gary

lurker mick and phantompjcoupe like this.
  28. No jokin', lets get current,this thread is so last year! HRP

29. wicarnut

wicarnut

Great Pic's, Thanks !

30. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

tierod are you driving your "new" shoebox down this weekend???