Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Crank case ventilation with an o.g. edelbrock valve cover

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by diegochero, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Hello to all in HAMB land,
    I would like to pick the brains of some our older/wiser members. Redid my wagons exterior, and now I am focusing on the engine compartment. I scored one of the cast finned Edelbrock valve covers for fords 170-200 six. These are a little on the rare side and that is where my issue stems from.

I need to find a way to allow my little six to vent / breath, but I don't have the heart to drill this valve cover for a PCV valve. The engine is a 1965 200 with a large log 250 head, a non traditional carb of the Italian variety, Isky cam ect. I drive this car everywhere with my family in it, so bullet proof is a must.

I have had a few ideas thrown at me, so input on each would be nice. Here they are...
    -Fit the engine with a draft tube like the 170's had
    -run two breather's like an aluminum moon and a chrome push in on the fill tube (drilling required)
    -Don't be such a pussy drill it and run a PCV valve
    -Weld another fill tube to the back and run another round breather

2. derpr

derpr

3. stimpy

stimpy

drill the back end of it or the side and hide the pcv grommit and fitting back there and get a inline Pcv valve ( honda , late model cars ) and mount that near the carb, this way the cover will get the cross draft it needs

4. Find a way into the crankcase that you can attach a vacuum hose to and connect it to the carb base/intake manifold.
    Perhaps tap into a timeing cover or the like.

5. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

No need to violate your vintage cover : Check 'yards' for sealed oil caps with attached hose to air cleaner or carb base : add inline PCV & run hose either to intake manifold port or aircleaner. These were used on many Ford products in the 60s & 70s, so you'll be able to stay 'brand-correct'.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Ford Six, at-least in the early generations, has a boss at the front of the block, by the distributor, for a road draft tube:

[​IMG]
    It is that black tube that comes out of the block between the water pump outlet, and the distributor cap, continuing down past the oil filter, towards the ground.

In later years, this tube disappeared, and was replaced with a freeze plug. I believe the hole was closed on even later models.

If you have a freeze plug there, you can take it out, drill the plug for a grommet, and put your PVC valve there. The passage that it is connected to leads directly to the crankcase, in a reasonably baffled fashion.

That is where mine is, on my 144, which is the parent of the parent of the 170, grandparent of the 200, and great-grandparent of the 250.

7. Thanks fellas! A lot of good info to chew on. I will post pics when I get a chance to tinker, but for now I have to get to work. Thanks again!

8. squirrel

squirrel

See if you can put the PCV valve on the block, where the road draft tube went, and a chrome version of the original style push in breather cap on the valve cover.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope he can. That is what I did. It wasn't hard.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. 51custom

51custom

I ran a Offy 90 degree breather right off of the oil pan...I found the best place for it and never had a vent problem on my Flatty..

11. xrwagon

xrwagon
    from australia

How did you go with this rocker cover? did you find a solution to your problem? I am after this exazct rocker cover, message me if you have one.

12. Dapetruz

Dapetruz

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but i'm hunting to try to find this valve cover. As diegochero stated its rare! lol. If you know anyone pass the word along! I'm hunting for one haha.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep an eye out on that auction site shall remain nameless. Also, look at the early Bronco sites. They come up there from time-to-time.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you ever get this done?

15. Man sorry to be a H.A.M.B flake ! LOL! I forgot all about this thread, (it's older than my son, I guess life does get in the way!) I just did what squirrel and Gimpyshotrods suggested. BTW thanks guys! I knocked out the freeze plug, sanded the pcv grommet to fit the block, pushed the valve in and ran a hose to the carb. I don't think I have even 4 bucks in making this happen, and I can report I have been running this way for quite a while now with good results!

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  16. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

I have an MGB with the same problem. The previous owner put on a solid aluminum finned valve cover. He then removed all the 1970 smog equipment and put a rubber hose on the tappet cover in an attempt to duplicate the earlier versions draft tube to poor effect. It blows valve cover gaskets and fouls the spark plugs. I have recently upgraded to newer carburetors that have ports for PCV. The other mod is to have a vented oil cap on the finned valve cover, so the port on the tappet cover receives slight vacuum from the carburetor ports getting air into the engine thru the oil cap. I will know soon enough if it works.

17. OK H.A.M.B. land here are the the pics. Only two years after the fact LOL!

Attached Files: