Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Necessity really is the Mother of Invention

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 2, 2014.

1. When I was building the '54 Ranch Wagon I needed to replace the brittle green mica that was part of the turn signals.

[​IMG]

The solution came to me when I stopped for lunch and as I was making my sandwich I noticed the lid on the plastic Tupperware turkey container was a nice translucent green.

[​IMG]

The finished product,works great and looks as good if not better than factory. HRP

[​IMG]

2. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Love that idea, have to redo the Hydramatic gate on the Olds column. Some decals and it's then done. They were OEM green and red I think OLds dash Hydro.JPG

4. The high beam indicator was also in poor shape so another lid,this time from a peanut butter jar was used. 001.JPG
    [​IMG]

5. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Didn't seem to me that the peanut butter lid had much light transmissivity.

Took a flashlight to the kitchen and was shocked to find out it does indeed.

Great tip (posted with a mouthful of peanut butter)

volvobrynk, hrm2k, Bubba1955 and 2 others like this.
  6. As often as not when you are in the building process things don't always go as planned.

My pal Dave had just finished covering the fold down back seat and as most of you know the seat folds to enlarge the cargo area..I dropped the back and the studs that hold the seat in place punched two holes in the new upholstery...needless to say the language was colorful.

I thought I was going to have to recover the seat but Dave came up with a solution before I could calm down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What you see here are my friends are two Onida salad spoons and when the seat back drops now the pins are just guided into the holes. HRP

7. seatex

seatex

So THAT'S where all the Tupperware lids go! Darn, I thought they always ran off with my right sock.................. pretty crafty there, HRP!

8. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Great thinking out of the box!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. How do you know it's the right sock? icon_lol.gif

I'm sure some of you guys have used some odd things in building hot rods,lets hear about them. HRP

10. good job....and good tips there....

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. It's got to be the right one, he has a sock on his left one foot

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

That to me is what hot rodding is about. Not everything needs to come from a catalog.
    My example is using the Home Security Magnets for my keyless entry. I carry a magnet on my key ring and touch the wired side of the security magnet to open the door alarm.jpg .

volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

We know nothing about that sock. I swear it!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

What about some "kitchen" draw pulls for a custom grill? ATT68139 (2).jpg 2013-03-03 03.48.54.jpg

15. wsdad

wsdad

That is very nice!

" The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen. -Soloman

16. Sure Dave,,you guys are notorious!

You guys use them and and abuse them,and then dump them like yesterdays fish wrappers. HRP

[​IMG]

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. Now that's thinking outside the box. HRP

18. wsdad

wsdad

Thanks, hotrodprimer. I'll tuck that away in my memory to use when I need it.

" The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen. -Soloman

19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've gone to trophy stores before to have instrument panel stuff engraved. They can do pretty much any design, including turn arrows, etc. Normally I have them use the clear plastic that has a black surface. Their engraving machined cut through the black layer, leaving a clear plastic word or image that light will shine through. If you want to do some custom panel stuff, you can backlight with different color LED's. OK, not traditional, and sounds street-rodderish, but LED's used as turn signal indicators, temp warning lights, high beam, etc are pretty damn easy to do and last a long time. I built a 40 Ford pickup way back in the early 90's, with a 2" by 2" box mounted above the rear view mirror that kept me apprised of 6 different conditions, and the current owner told me last summer that they are still working. ALT, OIL, FUEL, COLD, HOT, TRANS. Yes, COLD. 1964 Olds and some other GM cars of that era have a temp sending unit that has two connections, one that grounds until the engine is warmed up, and another that grounds when it is hot. TRANS was for transmission over temp.

Sample below.
    Label.jpg

20. Slopok

Slopok

volvobrynk, Texas57 and Bubba1955 like this.
  21. 5window

5window

Switch plates to post.JPG
    I had a similar idea-used a local "promotions" company (your name on a pencil,etc) to copy my designs. It worked great inset into a wooden dash (left plate) and on a drop down panel made form a fuel door (right photo). Total cost for both was about $20.

Bubba1955 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Back in the day, on 57 Chevies we used to use Bingo chips for the turn and hi-beam indicator lenses.

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. Is it "Tech Week"?

Many times I like the "simple" tech versus the massive tech posts and I like this thread already!

24. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I like thinking outside the box.. Good job on the turn signal indicator...

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Nice job HRP!
    Yesterday I was trying to get the axles out of a 9" rearend. My skinny ass couldn't get them to budge with a slide hammer. After looking at the situation, I figured out how to use some bolts, nuts, and spacers to press between the housing flange and the back of the axle flange. Took a little while but out they came.

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. I know that this is not a "fix" type of inventive idea, but a guy on the AACA, Chrysler forum needed to know what model his car was. The trim was missing and the holes for the trim were filled and painted over. The guy had no idea if the trim was there originally, so I told him what I would try. I told him to pour some magnet dust over the area and see where the stuff sticks. He tried it and three filled holes showed up under the paint. He was then certain what trim level/model the car was. I thought it was a silly idea, but it actually worked and the guy was thrilled to find out what model the car was just by that made up trick. He told me I should patent the idea. This may explain things better....http://forums.aaca.org/f145/1955-windsor-deluxe-question-nassau-variant-375969.html

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. daddylama

daddylama

stainless mixing bowls have a billion purposes
    aluminum or stainless camping cups make great velocity stacks
    hinges from an old stove someone was throwing away... perfect glove box hinges
    hell, bump stops cut from Vans skate shoes...

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. ice T

ice T
    from Ohio

Wanted a oval speedometer for my car so I took the guts from a jeep speedometer and had a new faceplate engraved by a trophy shop. lighting comes from around the perimeter just like the jeep. Also had them do the center of the horn button.

Attached Files:

29. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Don't have any pics but fixed an old dashboard clock in a '49 Dodge Wayfarer once with the movement from an old kitchen plate clock.
    Basically the same AA battery quartz movement is universally used in all new, cheap clocks.
    Shortened the hands and second sweep(which can be left off if desired), painted them original colors, and used the stock faceplate.
    Only way to tell the difference between it and the stock clock was the dead-nuts accuracy.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

The indicator lights I used for one project had a short, cylindrical lens with a flat surface for the light to shine through. They worked great for the turn signals but I found the high beam was too bright to have glaring at me for long periods. I had an alphabet set of black stick on letters that also had punctuation marks so I put period on the top of the lens to dim it down. Just had a nice green glow around the lens then.

Blue