Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Falcon facelift

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50 COUPE, Jun 9, 2013.

1. 50 COUPE

50 COUPE

Started working on my 62 Falcon and really hate the front bumper and grille on this model. My favorite is the 61 model.
    Any one know if the 61 will fit my 62? Will I need the headlight bezels as well or can I use my 62s?
    Have heard that some Comet bumpers will fit, true or not? If so, what years?
    Will Ranchero taillights work on my car?

2. Check out the huge Falcons done right thread and you might think about joining the Falcon social group,,,a welth of information. HRP

3. Bull

Bull

I don't believe the 60-61 grille fits the 62-63, but a 63 grille will fit a 62.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The grills won't interchange at all. '60 and '61 will switch back and fourth, so will '62 and '63, but not either series for the other. 'Matter of fact, all of the sheet metal from the doors forward is different between the two year groups.

I'm not so sure on the bumpers. I know the '60-'61 won't fit with the later grill, but I'm not entirely sure that you couldn't modify the brackets to make the deal work.

The Ranchero tail lights are exactly the same as Falcon, so there wouldn't be anything gained by changing them out, Except for going to s different year. On the thread HotRodPrimer mentioned, about the first ten pages in there is a Ranchero pictured with the Comet bumper change over. Kinda cool, but not my cup of tea, personally. There is also in the early pages of that thread an early Falcon wearing early Camaro blade type bumpers as well.

I would strongly suggest you pour yourself something to drink, clear the next several hours and start from the first page and work your way back!!! Don't forget, for tech questions on these cars we have a second thread called "Doing Falcons right", too. There is more tech info on these cars in that thread than you will find on most of the Falcon specific boards out there. If I can be of any help personally, let me know.
    Later, Chip

5. RetroSpeed

RetroSpeed

La Grasta's custom Falcon looks incredible with the Mercury front bumper as does Chris DP's rare '631/2 V8 4 speed Ranchero with the Valiant bumper.

Although I have yet to decide the direction for the front of my Ranchero, for the rear I selected 1960 Buick tail lights for a different look. A 4" drop, some NOS 13 inch Cragars mounted to Coker 5.20 Sportaways give the truck the Bellflower cruiser look I was after.

Attached Files:

6. TBMitchell

TBMitchell

So the hood, fenders, grille and bumper from a 60 won't bolt up to a 62 at all?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nope, the core support is a different deal. Not sure you couldn't graft one to the other, but not a bolt up. Hey TB, I'm usually the last to harp on this stuff, but take a minute and introduce yourself so you don't get into hot water with the rest of the crew around here. After that, hang out a bit - 'cause there is more Falcon knowledge on this sight than any of the dedicated sights you'll find out there...

8. TBMitchell

TBMitchell

If its just the core support I'd entertain swapping it because I really want to run the econoline bezels and make a custom center section for the grille

9. RetroSpeed

RetroSpeed

Richard's Ranchero looks sweet with the Econoline bezels and low profile.

Attached Files:

10. TBMitchell

TBMitchell

I couldn't agree more, that's exactly the direction I'm wanting to go

11. Falcondad

Falcondad
    from Tracy CA

The Econoline grill looks good. Was looking to do some custom stuff to the grill in my 60. Since everyone wants an arm and a leg for a factory grill.

ROTTEN CC Tracy Ca.

12. Personally, I think the '63 grille looks better than the '62, the horizontal bars impart a lower appearance and is less "busy".

13. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

I've got a 63 1/2 HT. Also really like the Econoline bezels in the Falcon. Do you know why they won't work in the 62's and 63's? Is it because the 60/61's look good without the front bumper? Don't know that I was going to go for the look, mostly just curious at this point.

50Coupe - From reading the Doing Falcons Right thread, I believe the bumper can be made to fit if you grab all the arms with the bumper. I haven't seen any pics or post, just thread conversation. Also the Comet bumpers do look good on the Falcons. They have a slight break or peak to them similar to the hood instead of flat so they really look nice on a 62 or 63.

14. RetroSpeed

RetroSpeed

The custom front end on this 1963 Ranchero blends Falcon and early Mustang design cues.

Custom Front.jpg

15. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

A little late, but I knew there was a reason I was saving this pic of a '62 with '61 grille, headlight doors, and bumper. Does it fit? The answer is a resounding "sort of".

Screen shot 2010-11-15 at 5.21.14 PM.png

-KK

16. loudbang

loudbang