Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 348 powered 40 Ford sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neilswheels, Jul 31, 2014.

1. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Its been a while since I've managed to do anything on my 40, about 2 years, so I decided to farm it out, and its going well.
    Here's what i'd done up to this point, but a lot has changed
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/media/albums/my-40-sedan.30348/

My original plan was to lower it, go thru the brakes etc and drive it, then at a later date drop in the 348 and other bits. But I've bitten the bullet, and now the 348 is going in with a five speed.
    I'm happily suprised how well the big motor's going in, no firewall mods, no steering box issues, (thanks to a manifold swap, left one on right side and right on left!), oil filter good, the only thing that fowls is the mechanical petrol pump. Marco at Juarez Traditional Fabrication is handling the install.
    Here's a few pics, i'll post more as it develops.
    The car as i bought it, about 9 years ago..2005
    40 Ford 001.jpg

Below is a pic of where I got it to before I 'stalled', so that was dropped axle, pancaked rear crossmember and some floor repair work, brake lines.

Then after that pics to this month, down at Marco's shop..

The T5 is a Camaro box, shifter on the back of the tail, but it will miss the bench seat, and I cant afford an S10 unit. Bit of a shame as it would all fit under the floor with the S10, but hey, I like those crazy 55 Chevy bench seat Hurst shifters.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    gonzo, Stogy, sidewayzz69 and 9 others like this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It looks happy in there.

Stogy likes this.
  3. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

Looking good! I love the look of a good "W" motor.

Stogy likes this.
  4. 4tford

4tford

Nice 40, good combination 348/5spd.

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. Always liked those engines.

Stogy, neilswheels and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. What a great combination you guys have created. Keep updating us.

Stogy and neilswheels like this.
  7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, people are going to love what they see when you open the hood. Looks great in there.

Don

8. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I could have done this back in '06 or '08---stayed with the SBF.

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. I'm liking it.

Stogy likes this.
  10. I like the rear end set-up........................and love the W block.

11. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

A little update, on my last visit to Marco's, we decided that rather then waste time and money finishing off the crossmember I'd pancaked only to take it out to fit a model A spring for the Quickchange in it's future, we'd get the right crossmember done now.
    So I popped down to Marco's yesterday, the rear crossmember's been modified for the A spring using a combination of A and 40 crossmembers, and some clever fab work. Finished item looks like a stock ford piece, which is exactly what I wanted.

Marco's also started on the motormount. Nothing flash, just a nice clean mount, a little trimming to be done, but it's looking good.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Stogy, j-jock, The 39 guy and 2 others like this.
  12. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

The Tail shaft mount for the Trans was just ahead of the bottom of the stock chassis x member, so Marco dropped it and extended it to take the Trans mount. It now looks like a stock Ford part.
    We decided at the beginning that the TCI style front wishbone mount no longer worked with the way the car was going, so Marco made a new one, more in keeping with the 'stock' look that we were after. He used the original gearbox mount, cleaned it up, trimmed bits off, and added brackets for the wishbone tie rod ends. This will be mounted slightly further forwards than its original location, but it looks so right.
    Rear end now, because of the T5, we're going open drive, so split wishbones and a torque bar.
    this is the front mount for the wishbones, designed to look look and fit like a stock Ford chassis part, it also doubles up as a drive shaft loop and fits in the chassis just behind the tail shaft
    Next is the torque bar. Marco spent a lot of time thinking about design and function, and this is the result, I'm very happy.
    The torque bar front mount is welded to the wishbone.
    Front end, front shock mounts. used a stock ford top mount, shortened it a bit for so-cal shocks, and then the bottom mount uses a 38 (I think, its been a while since i bought them) perch bolt with a tapered shock pin that bolts into the perch bolt friction shock mount, the idea being to keep it stock looking, and I didn't like the shackle plate TCI type bottom shock mount that I originally bought.
    last, here's the rear shock mounts and torque arm bolted in. Bottom shock mounts are the ends of the rear wishbones.
    Next, exhaust and floor, and if there's any money left, a bit of plumbing :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    Stogy, MO_JUNK, The 39 guy and 4 others like this.
  13. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Marco does some nice work. Gonna be a great tudor.

neilswheels and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Very nice fab work; simple, yet elegant..

15. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Time for a little update. While the engine cleared the firewall fine with stock valve covers (early 58 on the tight side, which is why it cleared) my finned ally covers didn't, so the firewall received a light massage....
    Time to put a floor back in. I had fabbed and tacked together new rear seat and kickup panels a long time ago, Marco finish welded them for me, trimmed and fitted them, and then he made a new piece to go above the crossmember...
    There's been some other stuff going on as well, like realising I had a miss match of clutch parts, and working out what i needed, then realising that making a clutch fork work with the 40 or 39 pedal assembly is going to be a pain. This isn't resolved yet, I could use an hydraulic release bearing, but for some reason I'm not keen on that, or its a slave cylinder on the clutch fork, which is looking like my favourite compromise, I just dont want to use the generic ally master/slave cylinder combos that you get of the shelf, i'd like something a bit 'older' looking. I've read that there's a Toyota slave you can use which is cast steel, but I cant find a master cylinder alternative at the moment, a bit more web trailing is needed.

I think the 40 will be coming home soon, Marco's just about done all I asked, the rest is up to me....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

You guys are doing some really nice fab work on this sedan!

40FORDPU and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. Nice work guys. The mid mount is an excellent addition.

18. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Very nice craftsmanship!

19. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

nice car, I fell in love with a 40 Ford 2dr sedan in 1968 when I was 16. found one with a 348, in primer, no interior for $400. I had $200 & my dad wouldn't front the rest so I had to pass. 3 yrs later I bought a 40 tudor and started to work on it. joined the local rod club & saw the car I wanted to buy 3 years earlier. been turned into the nicest 40 in the area. sold mine, got out of rodding & heard later that the 1st 40 had been sold & the owner died. Never forgot that 1st 40 so in 2008 I bought another 40 tudor that I am just about done with. September 2012 I saw his widow at a show & told her the story. asked if she had any old pics of it. about passed out when she told me her son had tracked the 40 down in Colorado & bought it back. it was in a storage unit 20 miles from home. met her there the next day & took a bunch of pics, brought back a lot of memories.

20. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Does it still have the 348 in it Steve? Would like to see some pics :)

21. Neil, glad to see the progress on the 40. The 348 looks right at home. You are going to have a nice ride.

neilswheels likes this.
  22. 409ina49

409ina49
    from Ohio

Awesome fab work!!! Looks great. Keep posting pics.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

neilswheels likes this.
  23. Very nice job! If you gotta use a chevy at least it's an interesting one. Great fab work!

24. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

no, but her son has a 348 to put back in it. car is here but the son lives out of state. its ROUGH, probably hasn't run in 20 years, but still has a lot of the 70's touches. wht pearl interior, chrome rear end housing, hand painted flames like wide pinstripes. I told her if he ever wants to sell it, I'd appreciate the 1st chance but I would probably have to sell my 40 first. my wife was there, who never swears, her response: "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND, YOU WOULD SELL OUR FINISHED CAR TO BUY THIS??" yes, you never forget your 1st love. I have trouble loading pics, they are always too big & I don't know how to resize. I can e-mail them to someone that knows to resize & post for me.

The 39 guy likes this.
  25. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

VERY NICE ! glad to see this back up again. I am putting a three deuce 348 in my 40 also.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

some Sept 2012 pics of the 1st 40 in the storage unit. I fell in love with it all over again. The yellow & brown primer is the one I had in 1971-72. the blk one with flames is my current ride that was heavily inspired by the 1st 40. 001.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 007.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 016.JPG Steve1st40.jpg 2015-07-20 02.41.52.jpg 2015-03-06 20.42.37.jpg 2015-03-06 20.43.05.jpg 2015-03-06 20.44.20.jpg

27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Love those W motors, I hope the old Ford rear can hold up

28. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Wow, they cut that firewall up for the W!
    I've grabbed a bit more time in the garage, so I've been redoing the clutch slave mount. Based on the novak kit, I mocked up Marco's mid mount with a slave mount, again. First time I made it, I got the slave about 10mm too low due to not being able to get a proper 'eye' on things with it all being so tight. So heres' marco's mount with the mod
    [​IMG]
    I then transferred this to a piece of 8mm plate,used tank cutter saws, a grinder and belt sander to shape it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can see in the last pic how far out I was. I also made a little more room for the brake pedal arm
    Once happy it all worked, i welded it together
    [​IMG]
    Next, the brake pedal. It didn't fit. I looked at it for a while and decided to bend it near the base, as close as the chassis would allow, and have a long shallow bend, then tweak the top over to get the top arc vertical, then pull the pedal mount over to get it away from the column. A bit of measuring, then in the vice and setup a stop so i bend it only as far as i want. Oxy propane torch out, heat and bend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A little trial fit, all looked good, but then i spotted the clutch arm, it looked way too close to the brake pedal when the pedal was at full travel, as in 'stopping'! So re assess, and re bend. this time it all fits - just. As i haven't got the slave working yet, I dont know for sure, but I think it will work, maybe a little trimming on the end of the clutch arm
    [​IMG]
    A bit of chassis clearancing was needed on the top of the rail
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Its close on the column, but I think it will be fine
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017