Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radir slicks taking a lot of weight...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DIXON, Jul 30, 2014.

1. DIXON

DIXON

Just got my radir slicks mounted once again, this time on some new chrome Smoothies. Took way to much weight for my liking, so glad I have nice chrome wheels covered up with weights haha. It would have taking 7 ounces if I only did weight on the inside!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Did you break the bead, rotate the tire 90 or 180 or...degrees and retry balancing ?

Mike

3. derbydad276

derbydad276

THIS !!!
    when I worked in a tire store we did this all the time sounds like who ever balanced yours was LAZY

4. I also used to split the weight evenly on the front and rear of the wheel. This was using the old Ammco bubble balancer. I would use 4 weights, 2 on each side.

But 7 oz is a ton of weight. The moving the tire around trick is the best advice. Also give the wheel a spin on the balancer to see how much it runs out.

5. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

Same as the above,try rotating the tire 180.

6. DIXON

DIXON

We spun it 180° and 90° tried pretty much every position.

7. If they were okay on the old wheels, it must be the chromies being bad. Try to spin it up less the tire. Or even turn it by hand on the balancer and use something as a guide to see if it runs out.

8. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

They only had 3/4 on one wheel and 1/2 on the other wheel when I had them mounted up....JOHN

9. DIXON

DIXON

It must be the wheels then, brand new wheel vintiques.

10. DIXON

DIXON

But the rally wheels I just had them on took a good amount as well, I've read a few threads on radirs taking quite a bit of weight.

11. If you can live with it and no vibration, you're good to go.

12. cs39ford

cs39ford

Just put a set on in march 10x15s on cragars They took hardly any weight May be the wheels?

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like you jumped through all the hoops that anyone who gets serious about balancing a tire with the least amount of weight does.
    Short of pulling the tires off the rims and spinning the rims by them selves to see if they are the issue you are probably stuck with the weights as long as you run the tires on those rims.

14. Inside tire weight, like a patch ???

Weights for Aluminum wheels, they stick to the backside of the rim ???

15. We used to balance the wheel first, without the tire mounted. Use the stick on wieghts like 31Vicky said and put them on the inside of the wheel, ( not the backside, the inside ). ( If the wheels are balanced you most likely have a tire issue ). Once the wheel is balanced mount the tires and balance the whole works. On steel painted wheels we ran a bead of weld to balance them, but of course on the chrome ones you don't want to be welding.

DIXON likes this.
  16. OldColt

OldColt

I worked in the engineering lab for the company that makes Coats brand spin balancers a few years ago and like this method best. 7oz is a gawd awful amount of weight on one side. You might want to see how they balance up on another balancer. Some tire shop balancers are way off calibration. I've cal'd a many of them that were off.

--- Steve ---

DIXON likes this.
  17. DIXON

DIXON

Thanks guys!

18. CRZNDUCK

CRZNDUCK

Find someone who will Load Force a Balance. If they ask what that is hang up and call another shop. More expensive but will solve ur problem.