Register now to get rid of these ads!

History I need help with Little Books History

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nowaxn5, Jul 29, 2014.

1. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

I'm looking for some info on the lesser known mags. I've gone through some of my collection of mags and I'm struggling to find exactly when "Custom Rodder" began and ended in the pocket size. I'm also looking for info on "Rodding and Restyling". I believe "Car Craft" was May of '53 but if someone could confirm that would be awesome. I'm glad to see I'm missing very few Rod & Custom and only three Hop Up's.

Thanks for any info,
    Jerry

2. Here's some info from my own collection:
    Custom Rodder - May 1957 - ?
    Rodding & Restyling - April 1955 - ?
    Honk - May 1953 - (Became Car Craft) December 1953
    Car Craft - December 1953 - June 1959
    Rod & Custom - May 1953 - July 1961
    Custom Cars - September 1957 - August 1960
    Sorry I couldn't help with the end dates for Custom rodder and Rodding & Restyling but my collection of them is incomplete.

Mick

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  3. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Wow, Thanks for the help Mick!

Impressive collection you have. Mines getting there slowly but surely.
    My collection certainly isn't all mint but if there's some Custom Rodder or Rodding and Re-styling that I could fill in the gaps for you I'd be happy to trade.

Thanks again Mick,
    Jerry

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

I should list the Little Pages I have in the classified section? Question for COLLECTORS & BUYERS, would a one by one listing be better than a one lot listing by title? Right now as a seller I'd like to move the box lot. Bob

5. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Bob,
    I usually buy in lots. That's not to say that's a better way to go but just the way I buy. I'm sure there's a lot of people just looking for certain issues to complete their collections.

Got to ask... whatta ya got?

6. There were a lot of East Coast little pages.I'll have to check mine but just off the top of my head I remember:
    Rod Builder & Customizer
    Car Speed & Style
    Customs Illustrated
    Rods Illustrated
    Rodding & Restyling
    Will find more.

7. alchemy

alchemy

Bob, I used to buy in big lots, but now since I have every magazine known to hot rodders except for about a dozen odd issues, I only buy the singles. But I will sell my extras in large bundles if anybody wants them.

PS: magazines are a wintertime activity, so I won't be digging through the boxes for a few months. I might have those missing Rodding and Restylings (as well as many others) you are missing.

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

My latest Custom Rodder is Dec of 62. Rodding and Restyling became every other month in Jan/Feb of 63 and my last is sept/Oct of 63. CarCraft I have a June of 59. Then there`s Custom Craft and Rods Illustrated as well as others. My doubles and triples run in the hundreds. I hope this helps a little.

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Probably the most obscure pocket size car mag in my collection is Northwest Rods. There were only 4 issues published starting in late '57. I was lucky enough to find/buy all 4 from a magazine vendor at a car swap many years ago.
    I seem to recall SOUP-UP may have been run in small size for awhile?

10. Stanlow69 you're right, the last small Car Craft was June 1959. I edited my post.

Mick

11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I have Feb, April and June of 1960, vol 1-3 of Soup-Up. Are there any others. I even have a couple of doubles.