Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Thought I'd finally start a build thread.. 1957 Ford Ranch Wagon, Gene Winfield DONE!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goldtele, Aug 20, 2013.

1. crob1

crob1
    from Colorado

Wow! What an awesome job you've done. This thing is so sweet.

2. goldtele

goldtele

Thanks, Guys!!

Color Sanding and buffing is Complete!!! Now I really can't believe all of the colors and depth of the paint job!! I got all of my stainless back from the polisher (OUCH!) and got the windshield in. Starting to look like a car again. When I get all the glass in & the sun comes back I'll push it outside for a better pic.
    [​IMG]

3. "I was wondering if anyone ever filled in the cowling before. I asked the guys at 57 fordsforever and got a mix of comments. Well folks, here one is. I may do my ranchero. may as well, it serves no purpose now , that i'm adding a/c."

When I had a '57 Fairlane 500 the front footwells always got wet when I left the car out in the rain. So I will be filling the front cowl on my '58 Ranchero for sure and as seen in this Ranch Wagon thread it looks fantastic as well!

4. philo426

philo426

iAre the cowl vents needed for ventilation?I am sure Ford put the slots in the cowl for a reason other than as a styling exercise.

5. The Wagon building bar just keeps getting set higher & higher with the quality builds you younger guys are doing. :) HRP

6. Yes, on 57 & 58 Fords, fresh air for the heater and the air vents came in thru the cowl. Also, on a 57, the cowl needs to be removed to gain acess for the biazare wiper cables and pulley system. Since the poster has gotten rid of both the heater assembly, and all wiper stuff, the cowl no longer served function, although not having working wipers up here can net you a ticket and repair order. Gotta say I am curious how he is going to installed the headlight assemblies with the headlight rings welded on. My dad used to have a 58 Ford 2 door Ranch Wagon, and I have owned 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliverys, so I will be following this build.

7. goldtele

goldtele

Thanks, For all of the positive comments!! On the headlight assemblies I welded the tabs on the backside and modified the buckets to bolt in from the back. Actually wiring the wagon up as we speak so the headlights are already in or I'd post some pics.

8. goldtele

goldtele

Thanks, HRP!

9. djfordmanjack

djfordmanjack
    from Austria

WOW !!! Awesome detailwork on one of the most beautiful 2dr wagons ever ! I just love how Mr. Winfield's trademark dark rocker fades and double white pearl center fadeaway work with the 57's body lines, especially the peak in the hood. we need to see this car out at the Pacific shore in the Cali springtime sun !;)

10. goldtele

goldtele

Sorry for the build thread delay but I recruited my buddy to help me redo the suspension. I wasn't happy with the way it was done before and learning that you can;t hire people to do stuff for you is a costly lesson. I wanted to go with bigger tires and bags so we decided to make everything we needed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gotta love the craigslist powder coating kitchen oven. Thing actually does a killer job with the Summit Powder Coating Kit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. goldtele

goldtele

Front End looks Killer now on to the back!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. goldtele

goldtele

We were able to lay it out and still retain the original folding rear seats and fit the Firestone G70 tires under it. Getting close!! Now gotta get her wired then off the the upholstery shop.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  13. crob1

crob1
    from Colorado

Unbelievably gorgeous!

14. goldtele

goldtele

Thanks!

15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Hell yeah -- you've done some nice work and it's looking great!

Malcolm

16. racer_dave

racer_dave

17. Frankenstein57

Frankenstein57

Love your build, the attention to detail is awesome. You have mad skills, I like how well your body lines and seams fit, not easy on these cars. Its a bit late for this car, but the 58 wipers can be substituted in, you need a 58 donor, small section of windshield cowl, wiper arm linkage, and an electric motor kit which mounts the motor up under the dash. I'm building another ranchero, 57, but I'd love to do a long roof!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  18. goldtele

goldtele

Thanks! At first I shaved the Cowl and left the wiper holes but just wanted to smooth it all out. Great info on the 58 and post some pics of the ranchero!

19. goldtele

goldtele

Going for some custom taillights......

Attached Files:

20. goldtele

goldtele

Attached Files:

21. toml24

toml24

Our family's 1957 red & white 4-door Country Squire Station Wagon. It would soon be used to haul 4 baby boomer kids around. The wagon lasted 12 years in Southern California. 1957 ford country squire station wagon.jpg

22. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

23. This car is awesome!
    Those taillights are neat. What have you used for the red lens? It looks like that red acrylic sheet but with reflective pyramids already cut into it? where do you get that stuff from?

24. goldtele

goldtele

It's clear plastic then a piece of red acrylic film and the pyramids are from the plastic from overhead lighting in a drop down ceiling like in an office type building. 3 pieces that are all bolted together via the bolt in the bullet. Ala' Tony Gomes

25. Very clever, do the pyramids reflect well at night? sorry to be bugging you with questions.

26. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Sweet project!

27. goldtele

goldtele

Sorry it's been a while since I've updates but I was trying to get this wagon done for Gambino's Sit Down. Well it's finally DONE!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. goldtele

goldtele

29. goldtele

goldtele

30. Very nice! Love all the colors