Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Saved From The Scrapyard (dont get excited)now with video

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Don't do this either.
    20110520_6236-Small-2.jpg

2. don't worry it wont. I like the vibe of this bus but with steel bud wheels and better front track width
    [​IMG]

Merlin likes this.
  3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yeah, go for broke and drop that body on a totaled or burned C class or small A class, preferably a Diesel. If you keep the RV bathroom and kitchen, you take the family tailgating or camping in it...

4. [​IMG][​IMG]

The blue bus is made by the same manufacturer as mine, superior coach. I like it but prefer mine to have the buds on it

5. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

I commend you for taking this project on and mentoring the youth in the build. You have your hands full overseeing this project with such a high turnover in labor, but very rewarding at the smae time.

6. I helped a guy with a custom "provost " style bus several years ago. All panels were removed, the inner structure raised to just below legal height, new front and rear caps and a custom Harley carrier in the rear. This one should be a little easier.
    You are correct on the age of my help, but we successfully body dropped a truck so I have a few students with good cutting skills that will come in handy

7. That 292 will probably have a steel crank in it since its a heavy duty application.

Its worth a coupla bucks.

Oldmics

8. that's what I have been told a well as the rods. If I don't use it I may sell or save to put in my merc. I was told today about another bus in a scrap yard near by that has a y block I may go check out.

9. You've got a cool project there. It will be a righteous roller when done.

10. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek: This is going to be fun.Gonna be interesting to.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

11. photo (4).JPG
    possible donor for cowl and front. I would prefer the 51/52 fenders and grill

12. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

Check out the Isuzu / GM W series tilt cab chassis. Narrow front and rears on the liter duty ones. Straight frames with PS PB 4cyl diesel or GM 350 and geared for highway speeds.

13. Who's riding the short bus now

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. hopefully me. might even lick the windows every now and then

15. first day back at school today for teachers. We cranked the y block for the first time years. Its last tag was late 70s. Purrs like a kitten so far

16. derbydad276

derbydad276

motor home chassis is the way to go class c ford chassis are the strongest
    this would be cool powered by a V10 Triton engine with an overdrive trans
    drivability would be fantastic ! along with brakes that would safely stop this thing

17. I have been doing do measurements, may keep the frame and swap later axles under it. If the y block checks out I may freshen it up and leave in the bus. I have a tri power set up for it. I also have a NV4500 trans that I know I can adapt to the y block

18. Drew.Morris

Drew.Morris

I have a 1980 something motorhome with Chevy running gear. It's free if you want it. 40000 original miles. Its located in southeast Texas. I am keeping the 454 and t400 for another project.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I know where there's a 51-2 front cap in S. Carolina. PM if interested. I can send a pic.

20. thanks for the offer, I have looked a couple of motor home chassis. The front track width is a good bit wider than whats on the bus. I am not above winding the fenders if necessary but plan on using a straight axle on front

21. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

Very cool! Keep the y-block

22. photo (19).JPG
    picked up a set of 22.5 tubeless wheels with 4 new and 2 nearly new tires for $75 for the set, Looking for 2 19.5 6 lugs to run on the front for that hot rod rake

23. camcb

camcb

Where's the video? : (

24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Tom Mcmullen, {I think that's how you spell it, the founder of Street Rodder Magazine}, built a bus back in the 80's. IIRC, he took a long bus and shortened it, too. I've probably still got the issue showing the finished bus, again IIRC it was finished just before the plane crash that took his and his wife's life.

25. will look up
    thanks

26. [​IMG]
    found the magazine cover, would love to see more. nothing came up on a google search

27. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

28. windsurf88

windsurf88

Nice save. I like the direction.

29. unnamed.jpg
    heres the latest update. we have removed a 3 window section and are mocking up where to move the rear axle. A 2 link with bags is being planned. The rear section will meet up in a factory seem once the rear axle is moved forward. Most all cutting and planning is being made by my high school students. So far they have done an excellent job.