Register now to get rid of these ads!

I like Mac's But......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Airborne34, Apr 19, 2010.

1. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

I just ordered front shackles from them, they have about a 3/16 gap once installed, ill have to shim them with washers. I bought a brand new kingpin kit and reamed them myself. One kingpin was actually bigger around than the other and I had to dissasemble and re-ream with sandpaper and patience. Also, they sent me the wrong rebuild kit for my door springs. All this in 2 packages within a month from them. Ill start going through Dick Spadaro from now on.

2. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

I've ordered about 3 times from MACs so far for the '32 and each time it took about a week. I am fine with that.

I think it be really great if we could get them on the Alliance Vendor list... discount would be nice.

3. Mac's is great, Nice 30 minute drive. Almost every time I go I walk out with the parts I need. Recently ordered some seat spring over the phone, they don't stock them. They arranged for special shipping and ordered them for me before I even paid them. Awesome showroom, Cool as hell to walk in and see the Riley powered speedster sitting there, beautifully restored T's and A's sitting there for reference, Excellent library of tech manuals for research if needed.

4. ken1939

ken1939

Bob Drake, even more over seas parts. I quit buying from them.

If it was Speedway, you would expect it. They do, however, deliver fast on most items, and are pretty good about letting you know about back orders. They sometimes dont know when the back order will be filled though.

5. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I'm not buying any more overseas junk!!! I'm in the middle of a roadster build right now, and I'm using old parts, stuff I make, or American made parts....And Oh....if everybody did this we might get some of our jobs back!!!! BUY AMERICAN

6. metalman

metalman

I ordered some parts from Mac's last week, needed them in a hurry. They said 2 weeks, I needed them faster. They offered me "express processing" (order filling, not shipping) for $2 more. They shipped my parts the next day, with standard UPS ground I had my parts in less then a week.

7. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

I live 30 minutes from them.The counter guy is clueless.Guy from Grand Island that retired was the man.I get my stuff from the Hot rod Company or Vintage Ford(near Albany NY)Would rather wait three days than drive to Macs.Its real hard finding a US made replacement part.Look for someone with lots of NOS stuff.I wont put China crap on my cars!!

8. Glass_Packs

Glass_Packs

I gotta agree with that. When I told the counter guy that I owned a 1962 Ford Fairlane he pulled out a Galaxie catalog. I had to tell him I needed the catalog with the Torino on it. I don't expect everyone to know what a Ford Fairlane is, but when your working at a reproduction Ford parts business...

Tom - Glass_Packs

9. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Here are some guidelines to follow when ordering parts mailorder;
    ALWAYS..ALWAYS do you home work first, get part #'s then make the phone call. Do not order online if your in a hurry. Phone orders are quicker and less of a chance of getting jacked up.
    Make sure parts are in stock and ready to ship. If your in a hurry be prepaired to dig deeper into you pocket to pay for expedited shipping.
    If the parts are in stock and you pay for a 2-day shipping they WILL be there in 2 days (not counting Sat & Sun).
    These mailorder companies that sell Jap parts, if they dont have them in stock that means they are on a slow boat from China and it could be months.
    Just my opinion from my personal experiences !

10. 5window

5window

Good sentiments, but just not practical. I suspect you'll be in the "middle" of that roadster build for quite some time. There's just not enough old or NOS stuff out there for all of us to build what we want.

And not all American stuff was/is great just because it was American built. We've lost the skilled workers and a lot of workers today just don't give a damn. How about a nice 80's to 90's GM car-they're American made-you can tell by the fine build quality. I'll buy American whenever I can, but some things are honestly better done elsewhere.

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Good one. That would require about 5 million in parts inventory, about 2-3 million in tooling etc for proprietary parts, the actual space to store and market them, and the hardest things of all, a crew of knowledgable old Ford parts people to take orders and wait on the counter and an industrious group to pack those orders and get them on their way.

We used to guarantee retail shipment with 24 hours of receipt of order and usually had them out the day they were received unless it was Saturday or late Friday, and no backorders, cash refunds immediately after shipment for parts not in stock. In those days UPS had a usual delivery time of only 3-5 days from Houston to anywhere in the US except AK and HI, 24-48 hours inside TX.

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

There are actually only a handful of broadline early Ford parts suppliers that are also manufacturers and/or distributors of reproductions. These businesses supply the hundreds of retailers located throughout the States and Provinces and overseas.

And yes, a great part of all new reproduction parts inventories do come from Taiwan, Hong Kong, and China plus another country or three elsewhere mostly due to American industries decades long lack of interest making short runs of parts, that is less than 10,000 pieces per order.

And yes, most of these companies are family owned and operated. Snyder's is now in Generation #3.

13. von Dyck

von Dyck

srosa707: had the same problem with Model A kingpin kits. I called my supplier in Langley, B.C. and told him to go into his inventory with an accurate micrometer and select a pair of .812" diameter kingpins and send them. I returned the 'undersized' and 'tapered' kingpins to him! BTW not all repro stuff is made in China - some of it comes from the Czech Republic, from India, from Argentina, Mexico ........
    I'm happy with Snyders
    TiredFord makes a good point: if it is at all possible, find ways to use the best old pieces you can find to restore your components. Much of the repro stuff does not even come close to properly fitting.

14. guess i'm lucky i have old mopars!:rolleyes::D

15. BigChief

BigChief

Well said.....and can you imagine how much something as mundane and once plentiful as a Model A door handle would cost if nobody reproduced them? Off-shore or not, its hard to beat 29 dollars for something that was last made in quantity almost 80 years ago.

16. soda4u2

soda4u2

I ordered 5 items from mac's 7/8/14. 6 days later items arrived, minus one item. They were the wood mounting blocks for my 30 coupe. I called them and gave them the item number that was short. They said no problem and promptly 6 days later the wrong part arrived!! I called AGAIN on 7/21/14, told them they sent a $6.00 part. They said they would ship the blocks that day and I would have them on 7/23/14. So here it is 7/28, still no blocks!!! So No, not everyone is thrilled with their service!! I ordered a floor panel from Howells and it was setting on my porch 3 Days later. Just my 2 CENTS

17. gonzo

gonzo

I've said it before. Use Joes Antique Auto in Uxbridge MA. Same parts, lower prices and WAY better service. Plus he doesn't gaff you on the shipping! No affiliation whatsoever.
    http://www.joesantiqueauto.com/

18. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I'm pissed at Microsoft but am I ready to switch?

19. Dizzie

Dizzie

Last week I needed a couple of Model A water pumps and gasket sets for customers cars. Mac's wanted over $50 to ship to me in Wisconsin. I ended up ordering from Snyder's, $22 shipping.

20. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ordered a horn button spring and a pair of door dove tails for my '36 last September...........still haven't got them. I was going to cancel the order, but I think I'll just keep it open and see how long it takes. And yes, I have contacted them several times and they tell me they're still on back order - really ?

21. samurai mike

samurai mike

i ordered some model t parts from mac's. got everything in short order except the top kit. many calls and one year later, got the top kit last week!

22. ems customer service

ems customer service

macs buy a lot of parts from ems auto and from other suppliers, we fill a large crate every week just for there new york warehouse, they are not afraid to stock stuff, they have a lot more inventory then a few years ago, but of you buy something they just happen to be out of it takes a few days to get to them and they buy extra for stock and if the supplier is low then a bit longer. and many parts the demand run hot and cold.

23. soda4u2

soda4u2

Started order on 7/8/14. Still waiting on Mac's to get correct parts to me! Here it is 7/30/14

24. AARRGGGHHHH, Don't get me started. :(
    -Pat

25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've used Macs a few times over the years, mainly for hard to find brake parts for 40-48 Ford brakes. Some of their stuff does seem Chinese in quality though. I bought a couple of wheel cylinders and on one the threaded part where the hose screws in wasn't tapped correctly. They did replace it with another, and it worked.

Just a couple of months ago I ordered front brake shoes for my current rpu project. To simplify things, I sent my cores back first and then they shipped me the new shoes. When I got them there were deep gouges out of two of the shoes, looked like poor packaging and they banged together during transit. However, the lining was very sloppily installed, worst I have seen. They told me to send them back (I paid the shipping) and they replaced them with new ones. The new ones were better, but still not the prettiest I have seen. I was also getting a little runaround from them as to when the new ones would be shipped, they told me their technician was "hand picking me a set." (for a week)

Finally, I asked for a manager or owner and miraculously they got shipped that day. That is probably my last order from them.
    Don

26. billyt

billyt

I can't complain, I made a phone order Monday for a couple of small items and it was in my mailbox Thursday. 3 days NY to TX.

27. soda4u2

soda4u2

You're lucky. I called Mac's again today!! Started order on 7/8/14. Called last Friday, they said I would have parts Wednsday. Called Today they said parts would go out Next Monday, again. I can't figure out what's going on!! The item is in stock. I wish someone with Mac's would read this.

28. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I live dowunder and bought 4 x C4 Corvette sealed hubs via e-Bay. They arrived here in 5 days! Freight was unbelievably cheap compared to others. These units aren't light and take up some room in a box!

29. 35desoto

35desoto

While I can understand you guys frustration at some shipping and picking delays the biggest thing to come out of this is that they are still in business and haven't gone undertaking your hard earned cash with them. A few days delay is nothing compared to being ripped off and not getting anything. Maybe there are few instances where they could improve but the fact that they are there to serve you and supply obsolete parts is a great tribute. Wait till you live half a world away and see how it is to place an order with a company you know little about, watch your cash or credit card get used and then sit waiting for some thing to arrive hoping you made the right choice of company to do business with. Every time my goods arrive I am grateful and wipe my brow and say "whew they made it this time" LOL Quit your bitching and be glad your alive and life where you do with reasonable access to stuff a lot of us would be envious of. To those that have added positive comments - Good on you - we all need encouragement and faith at times. OK enough of my rant on this soap box.

30. soda4u2

soda4u2

I've called Mac's twice ( Yes during business hours ) and ask to speak to a supervisior and was told one was not available. They said they would have someone call me! They never called. All I ever wanted is for someone to just tell me what was going on?? I can live with partial shipments or lost items, It Happens to everyone. But when you call to check on your order and they tell you it will go out on Monday and you will get it on Wednsday, You call the following Friday and they tell you the same story again. Somethings wrong!! So don't tell me to chill!!! Crappy service is crappy service , no matter where you live! Ordered the parts 7/8/14 here it is 8/2/14.