Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Trading my xs650 for 50' shoebox what you guys think

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wwauto1, Jul 27, 2014.

1. wwauto1

wwauto1

IMG_4079.jpg IMG959048.jpg IMG957443.jpg Thinking about trading my 83 xs650 Bobber for this 50' shoebox. Thing looks to be in decent shape, any shoebox gurus feel free to chime in. I'll prob. Go check it out Friday so anything I need to make sure to check beyond the obvious would be awesome. Car is an old police car supposedly which is pretty cool. Let me know what y'all think. Could be a pretty sweet build. I've been wanting to do something since I worked a lot with Luke on his 51' Chieftain, you guys may know about that build on here.
    IMG957907.jpg IMG951240.jpg IMG_6853.jpg IMG_8626.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  2. wwauto1

wwauto1

Not sure if this should be in projects or not wasn't sure.

3. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Might be a good idea because when I'm out killing bugs with my face I'm not at home working on the stalled top chop on my POS in the garage.

In other words, without the 2 wheeled distraction you may actually have time for a project.

4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check for the usual rot in the frame to sill outriggers and in and outer sills . Lower pillars rear trunk floor. All the usual spots. It looks to have new exhaust and brake pipes etc
    Not sure what the bobber is worth but 4dr shoeboxes can be got at a good price normally.

5. wwauto1

wwauto1

Mashed that is true haha

I have the Bobber listed for 3k on craigslist, I've got more than that in it like anything else custom but I need/want a new project. What do they usually go for in decent condition? I haven't really looked a whole lot at shoebox's. Thanks for the replays.

6. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I wouldn't pay 3 grand for that shoebox

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I agree with ^^^ joey...

8. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

9. wwauto1

wwauto1

It does have wheels and new tires also, I failed to mention that.

What would you pay for it? That's why I posted this to see what kind of deal I'm looking at.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Maybe, but apparently you are assuming someone is willing to pay 3 grand for the Yamaha bobber.......
    and that remains to be seen. :confused:

11. wwauto1

wwauto1

I accepted an offer on the bobber for 2400 and it fell through on the buyers end. So i know i can prob get that. I'm guessing if the ford was two door it would be more valuable than the four door. I thought it was pretty clean at least from pictures. I don't necessarily want a four door but if its in as decent shape as it looks i am considering it.

12. Does it run? It seems to have been sitting at least for a while, notwithstanding the new wheels and tires.

13. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

"I don't necessarily want a four door"
    I would hold out for what you want, 2drs ,etc. Projects are not typically hard to come by and you are more likely to finish it.

14. That statement leads to failure. If the car doesn't excite you today its not going to later, probably never get finished. Keep the bobber for now and find what you really want.

15. wwauto1

wwauto1

It does run he says, has new plugs, rebuilt carb. I'm going to go check it out Saturday, I think it's worth looking at. If it's a piece I'll cruise on back to Dayton. I dig all old cars, and love fabrication it would be a nice little cruiser I think. Thanks for all the feedback

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

No. Sell the XS and look for what you really desire. If it's a 2-door that you want, then don't get a 4-door.

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

^^^^That. & 4drs are easy to buy and hard to sell. Wait for something that suits you, not for something that will just "do" because it's an old car.

18. too many doors... trade the two wheeler for a two door if that's what you want

19. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Yep. The guy probably still has the 4-door because......he couldnt sell it. Just a guess.

20. Love my more door !! But I agree they can be a hard sell . Picked mine up for $800 with a clean body no motor !! There out there cheap just matters what you value the bike at . Just rims and tires alone can be $500 for a good set-up.

21. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Four doors aren't bad. Are you planning on driving it and having fun or flipping it? When you drive a 4dr, you see in front of you the same thing someone driving a 2dr sees. I don't know how old you are, but it easier to get in and out of the back seat of a 4dr. Meaning that if you are older, then your friends are older and will appreciate the rear doors. Also you can pick up a few extra bucks doing weddings and such with 4dr cars. I know a few people with 4dr 57 chevies and they are very happy with them. One of them does a lot weddings. I've seen some 4drs with shaved rear handles and then the rear doors are not noticeable. Have fun which ever way you go.

Turnipseed likes this.
  22. Trade the organ donor machine for the car. HRP

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

too many doors It costs just as much to restore a 4dr as a 2dr but the resale value is quite a bit different.

24. Squablow

Squablow

4 door sedans can be converted to a totally stock dimension 2 door sedan with about 100 hours of work and a donor car to give up the key pieces, I've done 3 of them already, so I wouldn't rule that out. If this car runs and drives and is relatively solid underneath, it's probably worth what the XS650 is worth.

I would place customized 70's and 80's Japanese motorcycles in the same category as 4 door 50's cars, kinda neat and can be fun but not real valuable and hard to sell later, so if the Ford isn't a total pile, it's probably an equal trade.