Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Buick Dynaflow Leaking. HELP!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wbonebrake, Jul 28, 2014.

1. wbonebrake

wbonebrake

OK, here's the scoop. I bought a 1956 Buick Century a while back, and it runs and drives, but the transmission leaks like a sieve. I recently dropped the old Dynaflow, and replaced the front pump seal, which I could tell was obviously screwed up once I saw it. I replaced that seal, and put everything back together, but the transmission is STILL LEAKING! Everything went back together just fine, and it still runs and drives. Unfortunately, like I mentioned earlier, it still leaks... I have attached a video for reference. Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!

2. txturbo

txturbo

Did you check the part that goes into the seal?

3. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Did you change the converter cover o-ring? Tighten up the converter drain plug?

4. wbonebrake

wbonebrake

Well, the part of the torque converter that fits into the seal seemed to be fine. I did not change the converter O-ring however, but I don't really think it is leaking from there, although I may be mistaken. As for the converter drain plug, I have no clue what you're even talking about! lol! I plan on pulling the transmission again, although I really don't want to, and putting in a "leak stop" kit for the dynaflow consisting of converter o-ring, pump seal, torque ball, etc. Hopefully this helps!

5. wbonebrake

wbonebrake

I think I may have found the problem... I haven't pulled the transmission back out yet, but after reviewing pictures of the parts that I took during the dissassembly of the torque converter, it would seem that there was not a front pump bushing installed on the transmission when I bought the car. this is possibly why the transmission leaked to begin with. Aside from a complete seal kit, I plan on purchasing a new front pump bushing, and hopefully this seals the leak. The part I seem to be missing is #32 on the diagram.I recently replaced the #29 seal.

6. robertsregal

robertsregal

Had a simular leak in ours after 1000 miles on overhaul, the bushing you are referring to had walked out and took the seal. Tech used lock tight on bushing installed with new seal at about 1100 miles ne leaks!

7. wbonebrake

wbonebrake

I am assuming that the bushing was secured to the shaft of the torque converter with loctite, correct? From what I can ascertain, the bushing is simply there to make up the difference between the seal and the torque converter without eroding the torque converter. At least that's how I understand it!