Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Any TRICKS removing old HARD tires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HemiRambler, Jul 26, 2014.

1. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I've got to remove some VERY hard tires (mega old) from some old magnesium wheels (15" x 4") The last time I did this was LONG ago and the only thing I remember was struggling. I really DO NOT want to take these anywhere - call it alack of trust on my part.

Any TIPS, TRICKS?? 4" grinder, bolt cutters ????

TIA

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

sometimes i use a reciprcating saw

3. daddylama

daddylama

sawzall with a demo blade and ATF to lubricate the cut... pop the bead off the lip and cut with gnarly cutters (i just use old wire cutters)

4. daddylama

daddylama

oh... once the tire is cut from bead to bead (sidewall, tread, sidewall), i drive the bead off the lip with a piece of wood and a big ass hammer. works every time.

i just pulled 3 ancient tires off of rims today this way... quick and easy.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

2X on the Saws-All around the sidewalls then beat the remaining rings off as stated above. Bob

6. x3 on the saws all

7. stimpy

stimpy

I use a circular saw with a carbide blade , set it for 1/4 depth to go across the tread then cut the sidewalls with a sawzall . to break the bead we used to use a 2x12 about 36" long with a shallow ( about 3" to the mid) v cut in the end and set the v against the bead then drive a car on it slowly sometimes you have to make some soap/gas mix to soften the bond at the bead . remember to pull the valve stem first before doing anything to get all the pressure out .

8. I have laid the wheels on the ground and actually drove my truck over the edge of the tire to break the tire loose from the wheel.

This is a two man job as you need someone standing on the opposite side of the tire to hold it on the ground and to guide you over the edge of the tire.

I've done this several times over the years and it's always worked for me. HRP

9. cryobug

cryobug

Put s little air in the tire to support the sidewall as you run the bead breaker down.

10. Bias ply tires?
    Just use a utility knife with a new blade.
    Cut parallel to the rim on both sides, through the thinnest area of the sidewall. Use atf, diesel, or other lube on the beads and drive down with a wide chisel or similar blade. Get them in the drop center and they will peel right off from the narrow side.

bob giles likes this.
  11. rooman

rooman

If the beads are still too stiff to roll off the rim just use a "death wheel" to cut them once you get them into the well section of the rim. In extreme cases such as the bead being stuck you can also carefully cut it diagonally, again with the death wheel while being careful not to nick the wheel itself.

Roo

12. Ive got a really old coats iron tireman machine with the phneumatic bead breaker. It will break down most tires. If I get a stubborn one I set it outside in the sun lying flat and soak the beads with diesel or used engine oil. one of those bead breaking spoons that you beat on with a hammer works good also. ive never had to cut the beads on any tire. however if you can cut the beads without damaging the wheel that certainly will work.

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

Set em by the wood stove in the shop for a while to soften em up.Thats what we do with our ice racing tires up here.Otherwise,with the inner liner,they are too rigid to get on or off the rim,and I actually broke my cousins tire machine with a cold set once!

A little heat goes a long way toward making them pliable enough to work with.

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

14. fortynut

fortynut

Diesel or kerosene mixed with dish-wash and/or clothes liquid poured into the area near the bead often does the trick. Especially if allowed to soak for several days in the sun, repeating doses of the sauce as needed. Turn over and repeat. Like many do-it-your-selfers, for those stuck on impossible, I use a beater vehicle's tire driven over the bead next to the rim, to break down the stubborn sons-of-bitches that have lain self-vulcanizing rubber to metal over the years. I use tire-tools approximate to those used in the fifties before tire machines, and hate doing this job, as you might expect. But, because it works, and is necessary to get old tires off desirable rims, I have developed a variation on the carrot and stick method, by substituting beer for the carrot. One badass mother a day is the limit of my endurance. Unless, I'm bucks up and can afford to take it to a friend with a tire machine who does it for a reasonable fee. I give him the beer, or its equivalent: a tip. Its amazing what newer tire machines can do when used by an experienced operator. As for marring the rim, unless precautions are taken, shite happens. Layers of duct tape on the outer surfaces 'take the fear out of being close'. Sacrificial surfaces more than once has kept a nice part nice. Good luck on yours. You need all you can get in this godforsaken racket of saving old stuff, for better days.

15. I used to use a bumper jack to break beads on tires. Changed many a tire ( even big assed meats) in my driveway with a couple of old spoons and bumper jack bead breaker.

That said if you want to peel the tire off the wheel without cutting it up you may try WD-40 it will soften the hell out of the rubber. Otherwise a sawzall or a hack saw blade with some double friction tape wrapped around it works well for cutting the beads. The rest can be done with a pocket knife dipped in water if you want to quit sawing.

On a side note for you wannabe hoodlums, it is way easier to cut someone's tires if you dip your knife in water. :D

16. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sawzall, cutting disk (for the bead) & a knife..When they turn in to Rocks..
    [​IMG]

17. Not yet rated

Not yet rated

I replaced the two rear retreads on my '57 ford tractor with new tires. Drained water out of 'em over nite so I could lift them into my truck and take to tire shop next day. Shop cut them off the rims with sawzall. New tires were filled with air, not water. Otherwise, I could not have handled them myself for mounting back onto tractor. The videos online I viewed showing tire guys busting tires off tractor wheels with a sledge hammer and various spoons only apply when tires are not rusted to wheels.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

A tire cut into four pieces isn't a tire, and fits in a black plastic garbage bag. It saves on the recycling fee....................not that I would do something like that. Bob [​IMG]

19. k9racer

k9racer

----------------------------------------------
    Marvel mystery oil will do the trick.

20. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I waited a couple of years...(for them to get harder) I probably could of just crushed them with a sledge hammer.
    I took the "Rocks" to the Dump...with some other stuff.

21. stimpy

stimpy

some of the tire companys around here will take them off your hands for free ( because they get paid by the pound for them) and take them to the power companies to burn with coal for fuel ..