Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Places You'll Go

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Jul 25, 2014.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

The Places You'll Go

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I'd like to drive in as many local parades as I can. You know, fourth of July, homecoming, Christmas and so on.
    Of course I'd have as many young babes in it as I can fit.

3. After a "BIG" challenge to spend a year and a half or so getting a car to driveability anywhere is a thrill!!! I'm livin it. Tim

4. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Shit, it seems like the only place i drive my old cars is work.... But i guess thats par for the course when your newest car is a '65

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    need louvers ? likes this.

5. mgbtc

mgbtc

I know I am already on the west coast but this year Hot August Nights and then across to highway 49 and tour the " Gold Rush" area is the plan. The Ranchero is ready!

WillyKJr likes this.
  6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

This is a well timed post, Joey...
    My ultimate road trip after a long project thrash was taking my roadster to Bonneville Speed Week two years ago.

Just a couple weeks from now we'll be arriving at Bonneville Speed Week again, then on to the HAMB Drags in Joplin a few days later.
    Here's our approximate route....
    7-25-2014 10-23-42 AM.jpg

And from the first road trip two years ago-
    [​IMG]

HEMI32, AnimalAin and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. flamingokid

flamingokid

My '63 made it to Dodge street in Omaha,Sunset Strip and Van Nuys in California,and Woodward Ave all in the same calendar year.And I pulled that off when I was 19 :) I got an early start on my bucket list.

Malcolm likes this.
  8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I absolutely DO NOT believe in building a car then petting it in the garage or at a car show...I drive my cars, always have, always will (that is until they pull my license...!!!).

Last year, my bro and I took our Cadillacs and did the Western Canada Power Cruise from Denver, ColoRODo, to Regina, Canada, joined some Canadians there then drove Trans Canada Highway One all the way to British Columbia and then down into Washington to GoodGuy's event in Puyallup...we killed 4,552 miles in a little over two weeks...oh here, read the article for yourself:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=823789&highlight=events 4552 miles two weeks three days

This year, August, we're doing the WCPC again, only this time we're going to end up in Spokane for the GG's event there and IF we can find a "local" rod run the weekend AFTER Spokane, we'll attend that while we're doing some sight-seeing around the area (I've never been to Glacier National Park...!!!).

The whole point is: build your car correctly, don't cut corners or skimp on quality and DO NOT be afraid to take it on a long distance trip...the road always looks better thru the windshield of a kustom...or a rod...!!!

R-

HEMI32 and Malcolm like this.
  9. lakesmod

lakesmod

#1 on the bucket list.
    Taylor Bay Wa to Spokane, turn south on 395 to Calif hiway 10,then to Malibu and the Rock Store.
    Take PCH 1 and 101 to Astoria Or,then the back way home.

10. I've been building old cars most of my adult life and have driven each car or truck to different distant destinations,some close to home and some thousands of miles away.

Having finished up the "Ranch Wagon" last year,we are going on a short trip next month to Novi,Michigan to participate in the '54 Ford Club of America convention & Woodard Dream Cruise.

It's just about 1,530 miles round trip if we don't get sidetracked.

I like building but most of all I like driving my cars and not have them sitting in a garage and being a static piece of art. HRP

11. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

40 Stude Dude, theres a couple of events that are open to all the weekend after Spokane good Guys, E-mail me if you like and I'll fill you in . [email protected].

12. Joey (@J.Ukrop) -

Great post!

Over the years, our coupe has been through every state west of the Mississippi (except Hawaii & Alaska) ... and a dozen or so states east of the Mississippi ... ... Hot Rods (& Customs) are for DRIVING!!!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The easier question for my '48 Plym is where HAVEN'T I driven it! When that is your only car and you are in sales all over the country, that's what you drive.

As for the 'Bucket, it's already been on some local long distance runs. In a city this big, that's a daily occurrence. But this next weekend it's going to take me up Sunset point, and across to Prescott Valley and the Watson Lake Swap Meet and Antique Engine Fire Up. Finally after months of dicking around, the last few bugs that have kept it from being a long distance "reacher" have been worked enough that it feels good out on our ridiculously fast moving free ways... And so it begins.

14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

No bout adoubt it, he has done that...but it's hard to beat a professionally prepared car (and prolly a support vehicle behind him altho I don't know for certain about that), but I think J.Ukrop meant everyday drivers: "But at the end of the day, each of us wants to drive our project somewhere when the dust settles and the plates are bolted on."
    I've been driving my "custom" cars and hot rods all over the U.S. since 1977 (my first trip in my very first '57 Chevy was from mid Iowa to Boulder, ColoRODo with a GF in 1962)...not bragging, but I'd bet over the years I've put on a million miles on my cars traveling the back roads of this country...seeing the sights of this great country...one of these days I'm going to add up all the miles I've driven, I keep every trip in a log book.

R-

15. birdman1

birdman1

i been waiting 50 years to go to Bonneville, wanted to take my 1939 Ford deluxe coupe to Bonneville this year(to watch) but it wwill not be done in time .So I am gonna drive my Ford super Duty instead. i have waited long enough!

16. My loose plan for my RPU has always been a Route 66 trip - from home I would head up to Chicago and start as near the beginning as you can and go all the way to Santa Barbara, taking as much of the original 2 lane as I can and eating at all the good greasy spoons and seeing the sights along the way. Then head North some distance and come back East a different route - again seeing as much as I can along the way.

I envision having a tear drop camper in tow, and a girl on the seat beside me - but that is where my hot rod project will take me. Open road here I come!

17. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

First stop- the surf spot! A loop around the parking lot... AhOOOga! Sigh, someday.

18. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

40 Stude Dude, any chance you can get a copy of the INCCC schedule of events? It lists EVERYTHING in the NW< but if your in CO that's too far East. Here's what I have (1)Post Falls Police Pre OpenHouse cruise nite o Aug 22. Check WWW.postfallspolice.com /call 509-496-9539. (2) Pontiac Posse Open Show / Swap Meet, Templin Resort, 10;00 AM Aug 23 Post Falls,POC is [email protected] . 509-891-2071 / 509-892-3962. Aug 23, Post Falls Police Cop n Kids & Rodders, same contacts as the Cruise Nite. See you @ GoodGuy's, we'll be the only 57 Pontiac Starchief Convertible there. Don &Sue.

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx Don, appreciate the help...have no idea what the INCCC is, find it strange that if they list events why they don't have a website...

Yep, there will be a pair of ColoRODo Cadillacs cruising into the Spokane fairgrounds on Friday afternoon...with or without getting a wash job first...see you then...

R-

20. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

For the longest time, my 1940 Ford coupe was my only transportation. It and my roadster have been more than a few places. To my way of thinking, the going and returning is always right up there with the destination in fun and importance. Besides, most of your bragging rights come from some part of the traveling adventure.

Malcolm likes this.
  21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Probably the coolest drive I've had, so far, was shortly after completing my T Bucket, I took a cruise up and down Westheimer Rd. here in Houston. It's not the main cruise like it was when I was in my teens and twenties, but it still gets a large number of cool cars rolling around.

I did everything I would have done as a teen, except get in trouble. Did a nice burn out at a stop light. Some teenagers used their phone to take pics. Got pulled over doing 60 in a 45 and the cop gave me a warning. Old folks get a break, sometimes.

Jungle Jalopy likes this.
  22. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

No particular place to go

23. I love to drive my cars ,my gasser has been around this Island more times that I could count. The truck I am building now well get shipped to the mainland after some trails here. I plan on spending about 6months over their. I put a gear vendors over/under drive in it for hiway cruzen.

24. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I wanna drive to texas and drink lone star beer and eat bbq.

25. b-bop

b-bop

Hey RogerStudeDude. Here are a couple links for NW events. If you wanna come back across the border there is a show in Waterton which is the north side of Glacier. If you go to Glacier, you cannot miss the Going to the Sun Road.

http://www.mystarcollectorcar.com/2...-us-about-your-club-events-and-car-shows.html

http://members.shaw.ca/calgarycc/

http://oldcarjunkie.wordpress.com/2014/01/03/car-related-events-in-southern-alberta-for-2014/

http://www.autoeventlist.com/

Here is the INCCC website, calendar is a pdf download. http://www.incarclubcouncil.org/calendar.php

If you love rollercoasters, you might want to stick around for a couple weeks for this one, http://www.silverwood4fun.com/events-deals/classic-car-show-event.php

Maybe see you in Spokane on the way back from the salt

26. b-bop

b-bop

This years adventure takes me back to the salt for a couple days via HWY 93. Coming back up 55, 96, and 195 to Spokane to catch the GG show. Nothing beats looking out a chopped windshield while rolling though prairies, and mountain passes. I tow my bed, so I stop where ever and when ever I please.

27. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Retirement is about 3 years out and then I'm going to take a lot of trips. Last year we went to Salina and Nashville. This year, health issuers killed all my travel plans.mim going to see if I can make up for it next year. One day, a west coast tour is definitely on the agenda.

28. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

I've been driving to work, short weekend cruises through the mountains. Try to do at least 100 miles or so. Going to breakfast soon. Time won't allow for much more than that.

40StudeDude, it is no secret you guys drive ALL over the place, ALL of the time!

29. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx b-bop, I'd seen a TV program about Glacier and the "Going to the Sun Road" and that's the main reason we want to go there...don't know exactly where we'll end up the week after, but Waterton sounds good too. Must be a small town, it's not shown on my atlas...and maybe see you in Spokane as well...

LSR 2909, thanx for the kudos...we're looking forward to the trip...

R-

30. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

Inland Northwest Car Club Council, www.incarclubcouncil.org. Also a gathering at Paul Bunyon (burger joint) in Hayden every Mon nite and in Rathdrum on Wed. nite.