Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering Wheel ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by King Callie, Jul 22, 2014.

1. King Callie

King Callie
    from Virginia

I have a 53-56 f-100 column to use on my model a project (32 rails) and am curious as to wether or not I can use a 40 ford style re pop wheel? Ant adapters needed? Where are the adapters? (20 questions right) Thanks in advance!

2. Not sure which steering shaft your using but the '40 wheel (stock) is tapered and keyed and the f100 is splined. You can probably buy the re-pop wheel splined however. Just a thought...Tim

3. alchemy

alchemy

I'll bet the F-100 column is too long in the Model A and will need to be cut down. When you are going to do that, disassemble the worm and shaft out of the column and have a friend with a lathe cut it to the proper length and turn the taper on it instead of the original F-100 splines. Then have a keyway cut in there too after you find the proper centerline for it (don't want your steering wheel to be crooked).

4. Try " Limeworks "

5. Many years ago a friend of mine did mine and his columns. He cut the the 56 and the A and spliced them. He put a sleeve over the splice and pinned also welded. They worked great. His had the spark lever. Mine that was left off cause of the Pinto motor. Both used the repop A steering wheels.

6. Ronniej

Ronniej

Drill and thread both ends of a solid shaft. Using a stud, align and screw the two pieces together. Welding at the joint will make a really clean joint. It will have the strength of the sleeve and pins with good looks. You do need a lathe to do it justice. With the right skills, you could cut a stud on one end and thread the other, doing the same thing without a stud. Just another mousetrap.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    I spiced an early shaft from a worn out box to the F100 shaft and kept the steering lock feature. You can see the weld about 4" below the lock collar.

King Callie likes this.
  8. tim troutman

tim troutman

I bought a 40 style wheel with no taper or splines in the center that was drilled for a grant adapter put it on a70s f100 column