Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Apache...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Spencer, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Yea I agree, the front clip has been pickin at me the whole time lol the rack and pinion front is a major plus in my eyes. I may think about setting it up for air ride. Im sure I can sell the posies springs pretty easy if I were to go with a 4 link setup for air ride. Right now its lookin like ill keep the leaf springs tho

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Buzznut

Buzznut

Wait, what posies springs are you talking about? The stock replacement 3" drop ones?

3. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Yea I have the posies 3" drop leaf springs on the rear

4. Buzznut

Buzznut

Oh, the rear ones...ok. I'm looking for fronts. I'll just buy them new when I cross that bridge.

5. el_bole

el_bole

Beautiful! What style of Metal is that? Sorry if you already mentioned it, but where did you get it from?

Thanks

6. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

sorry I haven't been on this thread in a few weeks guys. the gauge panel is just a sheet of aluminum I got online and turned it with a cratex stick and cleared it with rattle can.

im gonna be re doing the build thread for this truck when I start the new frame this winter. i wanna condense it down and eliminate a lot of the sidetracking.

also in the meantime, i picked up a 62 bel air with a 235 and a glide in it for a daily. ill have a build on that shortly. mainly just lowering it with wheels and tires and an interior.

7. -DouG-

-DouG-

Please update this thread with the link to the new one when that time comes!? I'm sure i'm not the only one following...

Lots of good info in these threads... i'm at the parts collecting and chassis ideas stage. The project is a '57 3100 Panel that's my Dad's. I got the front fenders from Steve Almeter at Carlisle -found him because of this thread! Thanks.

8. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Will do. Im gonna re post all the pictures in the new thread and build progress so far and just eliminate the extra stuff.

Steves a great guy, super nice to deal with. His door prices and such have started to climb quick it seems. Fenders n all still arent bad. Everything he has is top notch stuff

9. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

So plans have changed slightly with this frame project upcoming. Ive really wanted a true hotrod since I was probably 15 or so. My dream would be a 30 or 31 A on deuce rails. But thats not in the cards right now. This truck build has been awesome so far. But I really want an all out hot rod, no frills, just a wicked, no bullshit rod. The entire time ive been doing this mild custom build on the truck ive thought of how id sell it when its done so i can build what I really wanted. Well ive decided to just build this truck into a real screamer. A buddy of mine wants the small block and I have a real good lead on a 454 with oval port heads and some goodies. The frame was going to be constructed out of box tubing anyway so it should be super strong when I fab it.

So basically the new plan is to build a nice bitchin frame. Swap the smallblock for a rat that ill build up in the near futrue. Nice scattershield to keep everything in check with the m20, and ill beef up the 9 inch and swap out the 3.50 open gears for a 4.11 ish posi set. Fab some bitchin ladder bars and keep the leaf springs and have a nice wide set of piecrust slicks under the ass. I still want it traditional. But it should be something out of the norm since you dont see many trucks at the track very often.

10. dew468

dew468
    from Austin, Tx

come to Tx, there are tons of trucks at the track. good luck on the new path you're going with the truck.

11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Theres only one guy up here. He has a late 70s c10 "farm truck" thats in the low tens. Everything else is diesel up here when it comes to trucks

12. dubie

dubie

how are things going with your project?

13. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Sittin as of now. Im finishing up my bel air, gotta get the air ride and paint buttoned up. But its just flat out too cold man. Temp tomorrow evening will be around 7 degrees without the wind chill lol

Anxious to start frame fab for the apache after that though

14. dubie

dubie

seems to be the story from everyone, it's been to cold. I hear that!! We sat in the deep freeze at -40 for weeks on end. It's been the coldest winter in 118 years for our area. But it was always toasty warm in the shop. We are getting to spray the first coat of black epoxy primer on Saturday. Thats' the only progress I've made all winter long

15. Sorry about the temperatures...Even though we have drought conditions looming, today was unusual 80 degrees and will be for another week. Great truck building weather....

16. yeah the Cali temps in my area been all over the board hot and cold but sounds like u guys got it bad

17. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Hey guys, the trucks been sitting while i work on my bel air. I had kicked around different directions for the build and last wanted to do a drag truck type build. After sittin on it for months and months and having recently bagged my first car ( my 62 bel air ) im going back to the daily driver type build. However a new frame will still be fabbed due to the original being thin and tweaked and also some shoddy work done by others before i could weld. The truck wont necessarily be traditional though, doing a bag setup since i had such a great experience with accuair and also swapping the 4 speed muncie for a t56. Ill be updating on here as it goes but will be doing a lot more frequent posts on instagram. My username is greengrenade32 on instagram. As i said ill be updating on here as well but wont be covering as much on here since its not necessarily traditional in many aspects. If you have a profile over there id like to follow your guys stuff as well !! Thanks fellas, keep on wrenchin!

18. mt94ss

mt94ss

Sounds like some of my projects, directions change. Love the '62. You are quite an artist. Can't wait to see how that turns out. Following you on Instagram.

Mike

19. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks man. I got a lotta stuff i wanna try out soon. Wanna build some longboards, some leather work too and im also refinishing a few guitars as well as practicing my lettering n striping. Ill be postin a lot of that over there. Just got signed up yesterday after my friends dragged me into it lol

20. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Still workin on the bel air and the trucks still sittin. I did tinker with a paint idea on the truck. All my sheetmetal is rust free from arizona, has some knicks and dents but overall very clean n straight, im playin with a patina idea. The bel air will be my last car for a while with a "nice" paint job and i honestly dont wanna worry about it with the truck if i plan to drive it daily for the most part.

Anyways i did the tailgate, stock looking vintage style colors and patina'd it. Turned out pretty good. Thoughts???

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406959300.543070.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406959309.892412.jpg

21. dubie

dubie

YEAH buddy!! that's looking great!

22. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

Buy a foot pedal at Harbour frieght and you can regulate the speed on your drill press