Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Sticking brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abbey, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Abbey

Abbey

Have 34 ford coupe with disk brakes all around . Brakes seem to drag until start moving then they release. Put new master on and still seems the same. Any ideas? Thanks

2. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Are there residual valves in the system that are sticking?

3. Abbey

Abbey

Just have pro portioning valve in line now master cylinder under floor,took out 2lb check valve and nothing changed

4. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Something is holding pressure on the calipers. There has to be somewhere in the line from the caliper to the Master Cylinder that is blocking fluid passage. Is this a new build or was it working and then the issue started? If new, some Master Cylinders have residual valves built in. Is the new MC the same model as the one it replaced? Might need a MC without the built in residual valves and add the 2psi ones back in. Are there any other components in the system?

5. vanislander

vanislander

I had the same problem, and mine would drag after an application, tried a bunch of stuff, and found I needed a little more free play in the pedal.

I just backed it off a turn on the adjuster, and it was golden!

6. Abbey

Abbey

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Abbey

Abbey

8. Abbey

Abbey

Was doing the same thing before replacing master cylinder ,just bought car and found this problem . Nothing else in system thanks

9. are the pins and slides clean and lubricated?

10. Of all the possibilities, the most common would be faulty, sticky calipers or human error in adjustments or travel at the pedal.

For a diagnostic test Try cracking the bleeders.

If you get fluid and the piston retracts from reliving the pressure you can rule out the calipers and look further into the system. Calipers can get sticky, hoses can collapse inside with no outward visible problems, mechanical adjustments at the pedal, internal master defects.

11. Good advice above. Does the master match the calipers if they are off a donor car application? I see the incompatiblity of components being the first line of offense with brake problem posts.

I would go with pedal free play and cracking the bleeders first. Then pulling off the calipers, check and replace hardware and use the right lube on all sliding pieces. All you need is one corner of the car being off to mess it up.

12. What power brake booster are you using? It may be sticking.

13. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

^_ Same as Vanislander, I had the smallest amount of tension on the adj rod between the pedal & cyl. I wouldn't allow the master cyl to fully bleed off the pressure. Once I took out the tension, all was fine.

14. 69supercj

69supercj

I'm having the same problem, I cracked the bleeders and they loosened up. Cracked the line at the M/C and same results. I'm gonna give 'er some more freeplay and see if that works.

15. Abbey

Abbey

Found out the master cylinder has a 10 pd residue valve in it and was told to take that out and that should fix problem , we'll see and I'll let you guys know. Thanks for all your help.c

16. Abbey

Abbey

CPP was called and they sail to ck . Master cylinder for residue valve and to take it out and that should salve problem

17. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I had a 50 Ford coupe that would drag the brakes after a few minutes of driving. One day while I was at the firehouse a fellow stopped by and told me I left the lights on in my Ford. When I checked on it just the brake lights were on. The system had developed enough pressure to activate the brake lights from just sitting there, parked.

The brake system had just been overhauled including a new master cylinder.

The culprit, there is a tiny vent hole at the bottom of the reservoir in the master cylinder that lets fluid return to the cylinder. The hole was never drilled though in the casting. drilled it clear and the problem was fixed.

I know you have a more modern system but do not overlook flaws in the master cylinder.