Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest R.I.P. James Garner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Mike

Mike

Sad news, on Saturday 7/19, James Garner passed away of natural causes at his home in Brentwood CA. He was 86.

He was a racer and racing team owner, starred in the movie Grand Prix and of course, The Rockford Files, Maverick, plus tons of other roles in TV and movies.

He was one of my faverite actors, a sensible guy, and one of the few Hollywood people that I really would have liked to meet and talk with.

Very sad.

2. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Very sad, like McQueen and Newman he was a mans man.

3. zeuglodon

zeuglodon

Really entertaining guy....he'll be missed, but at 86 he didn't get cheated.....

4. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

All real solid comments on Jim so far---can buy in to all of them.

5. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Definitely a mans man. Had heard recently he did all his own driving on the Rockford Files, sometimes to the dismay of the producers.

Who hasn't at least tried to do a "Rockford" reverse 180?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. fortynut

fortynut

When we lived in Hollywood, my wife worked for a Security Firm sourced with watching 'hot' sets on the Universal lot --- making sure no one moved anything so as to destroy continuity. One of her jobs was for Rockford Files, where she met James Garner, who was directing that particular episode, and found him to be down to earth and interested enough in her to ask what she wanted to be. Meaning that most people, who took schlock jobs like being a security guard and could get on a movie lot, were looking for an in, or a chance to meet someone and possibly make a connection. She thought about it, and then told him all she wanted was to get paid for her work, and got a laugh out him. I found that particular series fun to watch, even now. Another story, for those who are Steve McQueen fans. He lived up the hill from Garner, and would get drunk and walk to the edge of his property and piss over on the roof of the Garner house. I read this in the McQueen biography. I don't know if this came after they worked together on The Great Escape, or not. I think we can all agree, it was a damn fine movie, no matter what they thought of each other personally. I know after he really 'made it' Garner moved to better digs. So would I. We'll all miss him in my family. He was a complex man who managed to capture something of the human spirit in his characterizations that was not all about losing his cool and going ballistic; an admirable trait, when you think about it. Somehow, he always managed to turn things around on the offending party. I wonder how he got even with Steve McQueen, if he ever did? I guess now they're both gone, it doesn't really matter all that much. Both were good at what they did.

loudbang, slammed and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Great actor & from what I have read a good man. I loved Maverick when I was a kid & Rockford Files as a teen. He will be missed

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Aw, that's sad to hear. Always loved his work and every role he played. I think he is one of those guys that you could call Jim and not offend him, seemed very down to earth. RIP, Jim.

Don

9. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Have all the Rockford Files on disc and enjoy watching them with my sons. My favorite was Garner in The Great Escape -- still bugs me everytime I watch it and his plane runs out of gas.

10. motleycrue

motleycrue

yep, what a guy, loved him in everything he worked on, and he was really funny as gampy,in series called 8 simple rules, along with another genious,, david spade, and the late great john ritter,, am waiting for the re-runs of 8 simple rules to come back on,over here in england, funny as xxxk, r.i.p big guy.

loudbang likes this.
  11. one of my favorite actors. i heard he hurt his back doing a stunt and still kept doing them.
    had his message on my machine back in my bachelor days;

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sorry to hear that.

13. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

On set of The Great Escape, June 1962. James Coburn, James Garner and Steve McQueen. RIP..[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    Rustahaulic likes this.
  14. [​IMG]

James Garner strikes a comic pose for news photographers during a break in filming "Grand Prix" on the Monza race track north of Milan, Italy in 1966.

Classy guy and a pretty fair race car driver. HRP

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  15. slammed

slammed

The guy really could drive, ride a horse and portray believable character's w/ease. Saw so much change in time, places and people. Traveled. Met such a diverse number of people. Part Native American (the ORIGINAL 'mericans) from Oklahoma. He earned his place in life and now can rest.

Attached Files:

16. Eric H

Eric H

Very sad news. Watching him as Jim Rockford as a kid helped me in some ways become the man I Am today. He was a solid role model.

17. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

Man.. I forgot the message machine!... As a kid, was amazed at his driving "stunt" tricks.. Truly will be Missed. R.I.P. Jim!

18. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

R.I.P Jim

From Austinrod

19. Be careful, my James Garner thread got cancelled last week for HAMB drama..just a warning..

20. X-Farmboy

X-Farmboy

"Be careful, my James Garner thread got cancelled last week for HAMB drama..just a warning.."

No way!! Deleted or closed for comments? Got a link?

21. Hi primeisnotacrime,

Your thread titled James Garner has been deleted.

The reason is:
    Sorry man, turned into a drama thread.

gwhite.

(This was last Sunday at 7:31 pm.)

22. My guess is it got political. Nuff said.

23. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. RIP Rockfish!

Drove like Jim back in the 70's... I did "Rockfords" in all my cars and even had a Firebird for a short period of time!

It got so I couldn't afford the tickets and repairs so I had to settle down!

25. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Though Garner may be gone a new book is out on his Motoring life. A very compelling read which is expected when Matt Stone is the author.

[​IMG]

26. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

as my yiddish uncle said, he was a mensch. he could have been a "superstar," which may have been short and sweet, but he pursued a "lower" road and was loved by all for his entire lifetime. and how many guys beat bruce lee in a fight?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  27. Mike

Mike

I'll need to keep my eyes peeled lookin' for this one.