Register now to get rid of these ads!

texas license plates question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustycarr, Apr 23, 2008.

1. rustycarr

rustycarr
    from TX

Does any one know if they ran 2 plates in 1927 in Texas? I cant ever find a pair. thanks

2. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I think it was one.

3. wetrock

wetrock

Pairs started in 1926

4. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Gotta have a pair, whether they were issued as a pair or not. What does that mean? Well if the plates were only issued as a single then you cannot run vintage plates for that year model.
    This is out of the Texas transportation code.

5. 52RustRocket

52RustRocket

Maybe in the book, but not true.....
    If you register your vehicle as "antique" they only issue you one "Antique" plate. Therefore if you register your own plate/plates, your only requied to run one, on the rear.

6. rustycarr

rustycarr
    from TX

Thanks for the info guys, ill call my local DMV and see if i can get any more info.

7. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Probably less actually.

8. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

The antique plate is a single yes...yom is two plates...

9. Elrod

Elrod

To answer your question, in 1927, they ran a front and a rear plate.

And the YOM plate law says if it was issued single, you can run single. So techincally, you can't run single 1927.

Reality is that most DMV workers won't know or care.

YOM plate fact sheet by state:
    http://www.thebolthole.com/misc/yom.html

According to the info on the chart, you can put any type of 1927 plate on your vehicle, Farm Truck, Motor Bus, Commercial, etc. Plates do not have to match the type of vehicle, just the year has to match. Maybe that will help.

There was just a cool Motor Bus one that already sold on ebay.

[​IMG]

Dealer plates are another option, of which I'm a fan! :D

10. Vaya43

Vaya43

Another way to avoid running two plates is to find a dealer plate for that year of vehicle and you dont have to be a dealer to register a dealer tag. Might be kind of impossible to find one that old, though.

11. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Don't mean to hijack a thread here but who is the best source to locate older Texas license plates?

I am looking for a set of 1940 Texas plates for my Willys coupe.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gary

12. dgang26

dgang26

Well -- you are suppose to have TWO plates -- but I have been only running ONE plate on my cars for years and years and "so far" -- no problem.

I even got stopped for speeding one time (yep -- just once so far :) and they never said anything about my running the one plate (got lucky I guess)

I do always carry the second plate in my trunk -- just in case however
    Not saying this is OK to do -- just saying that I do it
    Later

13. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

just my 2 cents....I have also only run one YOM plate on my car...I have not had any problems...so far...In my experence most police officers do not know the law on antique plates..I guess what I'm saying is all it takes is ONE police officer that wants to make an example out of you..there are a few of them around..I know...be safe

14. Big Tony

Big Tony

Your right DMV people don't know and don't care... I was wonder why i only got one tag when i renewed mine last month

15. rixrex

rixrex

a twist on the Tx. license plate thing...my Studebaker came with a YOM 53 plate, I go to register them in my name and the DMV tells me the previous owner had registered the plates as "personilized" and that type is not transferable? I have to go find him and get him to sign a release? I could understand if they were the guys name or 6UL-DV8 or something clever, but a number? she wasn't too helpful as to what to do..I guess I'm gonna go get him to sign a release or POA or something..don't want to have to buy another 53 plate...

16. KATFISH

KATFISH

Not so .I run Texas 46 plate. Only one was issued during war years, they know this.

17. BBobb

BBobb

i am more confused now than i was before i starting reading this thread

18. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel
    from Lavon, Tx

For what it's worth, I tried to register my 1934 plates on tuesday. They got out their handy book and promptly denied them because they have C M between the numbers for "commercial use" and they were the wrong colors. I'm going to try to get another set at Pate this weekend.

19. Larry 34 Chevy

Larry 34 Chevy
    from Texas

2 plates where not required till 1934

20. Pairs were issued with the first series of plates in 1917 - I've got a pair. Single plates were issued in 1945 & 1946 - the only two years singles were ever issued by the State of Texas.

21. soda4u2

soda4u2

In Odessa, Tx. If you go to register say a 54 plate for your 54 truck. You must show both plates and they take a photo copy, check the paint color, then give you a small antique tab to bolt to your antique plate. If you don't have both plates they won't register it. so if you don't have two plates that match you are out of luck!!

22. BLAKE

BLAKE

It's not that hard. If the plates were issued in pairs, you have to have the good, legible pair… both plates... in order to register them. Obviously, this prevents two cars from registering the same plate number. However, once registered, you only have to run the rear plate on your vehicle. Texas Transportation Code Section 504.501 talks to Classic/Street Rod registration, and 504.502 talks to Antique registration… most folks go Antique.

Good pairs can be hard to find, so depending on the year they can be pricy. I'm not sure what years/variants were issued as singles or pairs in Texas, but I'm sure that info exists. The reg folks I've worked with usually open a big ol' book with pictures of plates by year and it tells them if they were singles or pairs.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  23. License plate Jesse in San Antonio has lots of original Texas plates.Someone will post his number.He's usually at New Braunfels,Fredricksburg(today&Sunday)probably the round-up.