Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford f1 door help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big fluffy, Jul 22, 2014.

1. big fluffy

big fluffy

My 49 f1 was in an accident before I got it and it shoved the a pillar and where door hinges bolt whatever's it's called about 1/4 inch back and the door will not fit. Any ideas on how to fix this? Any help is greatly appreciated. Will post pics if needed.

Thanks,Clayton

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. missysdad1

missysdad1

Blind bodywork has about the same probability of success as blind brain surgery. Pictures, please!

3. big fluffy

big fluffy

This is the best i can do with my phone but this may help.

Attached Files:

4. Can't really see the damage in your pics. Was the door opened too far, or ?
    Is the A pillar twisted or just bent at the door hinge mounts?

5. big fluffy

big fluffy

The damage was under the hood. Already fixed that but it shoved everything backwards.

6. big fluffy

big fluffy

Ill take more pics tomorrow.

7. the lights

the lights

I would say a bottle jack, and some wood to push the damage back in. assuming the door won't close. if it's the other way and the door gaps are too big, then maybe shim and see if that works. hard to tell in the pictures.

8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You may have did a Boo Boo by not squaring the cab before the repair. Hopefully when you square the cab, you won't be working against your repair.
    I'll review the body section in my Shop Manual to see if there are any useful measurements for you.

9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Well I went through my Shop Manual and a 1946 body repair book.

IMHOP there is really no good way to tell you to do this. I would try to find a real good traditional body man. Panel Alignment is an art, especially if they are damaged. I do not think the local Insurance Jobber would have the skill and even if he did, he probably will not have the interest, IE, a quote in the stratosphere...

To point you in the right direction you need to have a baseline like a undamaged cab. You'll need to take many measurements cross ways, up, down ect, ect, to get a baseline. These measurements have to be pretty precise. You may can have some luck with comparing side to side in your cab but knowing the baseline will sure help. To throw a wrench in it, These measurements may vary from cab to cab , undamaged. That's where the art comes in.

So there needs to be a great deal of thought into where to and how push. The 46 book showed very large body jacks used from side to side crossways.

But it is not just the squareness of the cab it's also the hinges and all their adjustments. the door and all it's adjustments and tweaking the door up, down side to side and out and in. Not to mention the door could be twisted.

See, this takes a Great deal of skill and brainpower coupled with some pretty heavy force...but with finesse.
    Study Up.
    Good Luck.