Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 Rambler American Gasser!??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CrusinBen, Jul 21, 2014.

1. CrusinBen

CrusinBen

I've got a good solid drivable 1960 rambler american. I'm thinking of making it into a gasser. I was wanting some opinions on this. The car is solid and runs and drives but needs brake work and an overall going over to be road worthy. It also needs some body and paint work. I'm not sure which direction to go, any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

2. I like it! Maybe go with an all American Motors running gear, huge 401.

3. Gasser styled street driven car or a Gasser drag car? HRP

[​IMG]

4. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

If it's solid and only needs some work why not fix it and make a mild custom? Lowered. paint, wheels, etc. Not many early 60's Ramblers left, I am sure it would be worth something rather than being cut up.

5. squirrel

squirrel

If you don't have a burning desire to do something specific with the car, maybe you should sell it and get a car you are really into? I finally figured out that building the car I want works out much better than building whatever car I happen to have.

Gremlinguy, Joliet Jake and kiwijeff like this.
  6. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Squirrel makes sense.

7. CrusinBen

CrusinBen

I have actually thought about goin this direction. The car is in such nice shape I hate to cut it up to build a gasser. I think that it would make a killer gasser though! I am leaning towards a custom and maybe try finding another car for a gasser, maybe a falcon?

8. CrusinBen

CrusinBen

I love the little car! Gasser style is what I first wanted to do but the car is just to good to cut up.

9. greybeard360

greybeard360

Buy my hostile little AMC 360 motor and trans and stuff in it..... be a lot of fun to drive!!! I have looked for something to put it in but the ones I see are rust buckets or don't have a title and they want top dollar. I don't play that game.

10. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

I built a straight axle gasser/ afx car outta a 65 Rambler, it was lots of fun, I wish had kept it, people thought I was nuts for building it instead of a Nova or Falcon, but I didn't care, just make Yourself happy. Von Doc

11. tomic

tomic

it totally depends on what you want to get out of it. the particular chassis you have is actually an earlier Nash design (Nash's Rambler model) that got re-badged after the Nash/Hudson merger. i think i can give you a somewhat impartial rundown on it, having just hacked one into a roadster.

the good news is, it's incredibly designed and well-made -- for it's design goals. quality of construction is not a problem here -- spare, clean, light, far stiffer chassis than you'd imagine. overbuilt, in fact. when they made a convertible model, they didn't cheap out -- they re-designed the chassis pan with a huge X that's stupidly stiff and yet still light. it was a total pleasure to work on. front suspension is a classic double-wishbone with handling capabilities that far outstrip the delivered package. don't late haters convince you that front suspension is "bad".

the bad news is, the engine compartment is 22" wide, limited by that same front suspension. if you can't think of an engine that's not a V8 then you'll need to do a lot of chopping, but watch stiffness, since this is a true monococque (unibody) car.

the chassis literally has the same dimensions as the 68-71 AMC AMX, and takes the same rear shocks. AMC20 rear axles bolt in. you can make V8s fit. but you will fabricate everything else -- treat it like a rod, as i did, and you'll be OK.

but this has to be a work of love, as no one else will love you for it.

12. tomic

tomic

young man, you are on the right path when everyone thinks you are nuts and you know you are not. rambler or otherwise. LOL.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

14. tomic

tomic

OH! lol, small world, huh! i followed yr project here btw.

15. sell it. then buy a 55 Chev to make a Gasser if you must.

16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Back in the day, all gasser was old heaps and jalopys, but driveable. Why should you choise a POS for a gasser, when you have something that is driveable.
    Beats me.

Its about get going, and If you wants to run a gasser, get going!
    If you want a custom, get at it.
    If you want a another car get at it.
    If you want a fast street car, make it happen.

There is no reason not have fun with your Rambler!

There is more then one way to make it a fast gasser!
    You could run a straight six, maybe push the bounderys of traditional and install a run a turbocharger.
    But a 292 Chevy or a 302 Jimmy would be awesome powerplants.

And If you are full of drive/talented you could do something with the stock powerplants, and build the worlds fastes American. :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I can dig the gasser idea but it would be a lot of work, most of it pretty technical. Unless you have a lot of experience in building chassis and hot rods, you might want to start off with a simpler project. In other words don't over match yourself in your first fight.

Suggest if you like the car, fix the brakes etc, drive it and enjoy it. If it isn't to your taste, might as well sell it and get something that is.

18. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

1970 Rambler digger! 1419468636675.jpg