Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Seattle Apple Orchard Survivor '32 5W

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ELpolacko, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Thank you guys!

When the car came in, it had a 35-40 style spring jammed into the 32 rear crossmember. I did cut out the center section and replace it with a straight fabricated section.

2. The project is starting to pick up steam since Bob gave us the go-ahead to get the car a driver by summer.

I have finally built some front split wish bone mounts, bolt in of course. These will also be included in our full X-member bolt in kit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was building reinforcement brackets for the dash and steering box. We determined the dash is from a 1933-4 Cadillac V16. And NeilinCA says the steering gear is Nash LaFayette, not going to argue with him on that. Dr Marvelus straightened out the pittman arm and drag link, did a bit of repair on the the tapers on both the spindles and pittman arm and did a bit of assembly. Bob supplied the SoCal headlight/shock mounts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just waiting on another cash infusion to pick up some of the missing parts.

3. Isn't it already Summer there? Great work.

4. F-head

F-head

wow great work
    B

5. alchemy

alchemy

Quick question about the bolt-in wishbone mount: Do you think the top bolt, since it goes through the body which is cushioned by welting, will have a bit of give and might wiggle? Would this allow it to egg out the hole? Maybe allow the bottom bolts of the bracket to flex the frame's lower flange?

All the rest of your work seems thoroughly thought-out and absolutely top notch.

6. The three bolts on the bottom do most of the locating, the top is more of a steady. There is not that much lateral movement on the wishbone, mostly for and aft. Braking loads mostly. Being that the distance from the lower flange to the tie rod end is much shorter than the flange to the body the for/aft movement is further minimized.

That and the body bolt should be pretty snug.

7. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Should be driving this thing in a few weeks!

8. Searcher

Searcher

Nice work..... I'd like to see the Cadillac dash..... There's a 1936 V16 Cadi at the Nethrcutt museum not far from me. Talk about a long hood... it's a rare car.

9. Wow. Yes, seconding cash infusions.....infuse away ! This is gonna' be bad, uh? It was the headbands that gave it away....for me. Do it every time. Awesome work.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow what a great save on that one. Keep those updates coming.

11. jerry

jerry

Really like the spring/shock mount, nice integration. Nice work!

jerry

12. Yip the steering box is 37 Nash, basically a 37 Hudson box with a different mount. I picked a complete chassis including the box up a while back for cheap, really different and cool box..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Subscribed. Another build to eagerly watch

14. Wow! Just like that its ready to go!!! Very fun to watch the progress. Tim

15. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

16. brady1929

brady1929

Looks great. You guys do great work.

17. Love this car it has so much history and now it's back on the streets

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool '32, nice work!