Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Recommend good generic ignition switch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mindheavy, Jul 22, 2014.

1. mindheavy

mindheavy
    from tulsa

I putt around in a 1967 El Camino, hopefully my kind is welcome here... for several years I have been running this ignition switch from NAPA. It's been a good switch but has developed a potentially dangerous problem. The back of it, the black plastic part, wiggles around in the housing. Today I tried to fire up the car and nothing happened, like the battery was disconnected. I reached my fingers back there and gave a few tightening pushes and sure enough, that was it. It has done this before a time or two... I really don't want that part to ever pop out and let a live wire dance around behind my dash.

[​IMG]

Can anyone recommend a good quality generic ignition switch I can replace this with? Thanks

2. There's really nothing wrong with the generic type of switch but it sounds like you might just have a loose connection. HRP

3. chopped

chopped

I've used that one before, I'd just get another one.

4. Just about any factory GM switch will fit that hole in the dash, why not use one of those? I've had NOS ones and if they're common they don't bring much on eBay.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'd use a reproduction factory switch. To my eye those look so cheap with that knurled retainer.

squirrel likes this.
  6. So-Cal sells a generic one that looks alot like that one, except the retaining nut is more attractive. Probably made in the same Chinese sweat shop.

7. Some product lines that Napa sells are just out and out crap. Look for a direct replacement made by Niehoff or Standard Ignition.

8. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

There are multiple companies that sell OEM quality repop switch assemblies.
    That to me would be your best bet, no wires to cut just plug it in and go.
    KK

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Just replace it. You said it lasted several years? Well, in this day and age of, "Made in China", you made out pretty good. If it were me, I'd be hitting the swap meets or internet for a factory replacement.

I have the same switch in my T Bucket and I HATE it. It works good, but it just looks WRONG. The key is no better. One day, when I'm bored and feel like tinkering on my car, I'm going to hunt down a gennie 50's - 60's switch and key. Details, man. It's all about the details. And nothing says, "cheap bastard", like that $10 ignition switch from the "do hickey" aisle of the local auto parts store.

10. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Had a switch go bad so off to the parts store. Nothing but Made In China stuff in the store. Seems like GM is having lots of ignition switch problems and guess where they are made. Ron Francis has a nice switch but I have not checked to see if it is made in China or not. You get what you pay for...

11. squirrel

squirrel

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Cole-Hersee makes a lot of electrical parts that are of very good quality. Many are Marine Grade.
    If you have an old school parts house in your area, they likely have a catalog.

edit: just checked.....they have a web site (imagine that!) www.colehersee.com

stimpy likes this.
  13. Cole-Herse makes the best marine grade electrical components

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

stimpy likes this.
  14. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Looks very similar to the stocker in my Rambler (and probably 10,000 other cars), one time mine took a shit and started acting weird was because it had carbon tracked inside (burned into the bakelite) anyways I scraped it clean and filled the void with epoxy. Recrimped it. That was 15 or so years ago still working. I figure it's BROKE now - why not try to take it apart check it out and recrimp - you may actually fix it - nothing lost if you can't - it's broke anyways.

15. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

I almost bought the So-Cal switch but I would have to enlarge the hole in the dash and I didn't have the needed space behind the hole. The GM works good. I have used tractor switches in a pinch too.

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep on Cole Hersee. The ignition switch and push pull switches in my 27 are over 25 years old and still work great and they have been wet a lot of times over the years. I'm in the marine business so I sell them and have never seen one come back. They are all brass and made for the tough marine environment. All of Cole Hersee's products are first rate.

Just go to some place like Westmarine.com and you will find 3 pole ignition switches and 4 pole if you want to be able to turn the switch backwards to run your radio with the ignition off. They sell for about $30 and free shipping to your door.

Don
    [​IMG]

17. stimpy

stimpy

I'll third the Cole Hersee stuff , we use it in heavy equipment that sits in the weather and on trucks that get beat to death , if your worried about hi amp in the switch use a remote relay to control the start function ( takes the big draw away from the switch ) then fuse the input side of the switch .

18. notaford1

notaford1
    from webster ny

Standard ignition #US14...looks like the pic from mindheavy

19. mindheavy

mindheavy
    from tulsa

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I'll be ordering a 3-pole from Cole Hersee

20. Using the exact same switch as you that I purchased from NAPA 7 years ago.
    Works excellent for me in my old roadster.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. I'd get anNOS off evil bay

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

They have several neutral safety switches too!