Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1959 impala sedan door trim (also 1960, and pontiac/buick /olds)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jonzcustomshop, Jul 18, 2014.

1. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

how do you remove the door trim (surrounding the windows) that is on the high end '59/'60 sedans, I have seen this trim on the impalas, the starchief, the 98, and the buicks...
    it looks like it was snapped, or bent in place at the factory, I tried to start removing a piece, but stopped when it looked like I might destroy it.....
    maybe someone knows how, or maybe instructions from a shop manual?

I want to install a set on my 59 Biscayne, I just like the look.

2. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

There are usually small clips holding it on...those clips are the type that are Y shaped...when slipped into the hole the Y moves in then snaps back out once past the sheet metal...in order to remove the trim, you must close the Y and push (or pull) it out...not the easiest thing to do in tight confines like window trim. Hope that helps...

R-

4. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

5I15L75F33Ed3K93Lbc9pe6abb5e97c18197d.jpg ..............................................................................................................................................................................................................thanks 40 stude, I think that is how the beltline trim is on, the pieces I need to remove are the ones that are on the window frame... I really didn't see any sign of a clip at all...

5. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

come on hamb.. is this the question that there is no answer for????
    have I stumped this whole message board?

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I'd be willing to venture in 1959/1960, plastic clips were yet to be invented and used...therefore, metal clips of all kinds and sizes were used...including small 'pins' attached to a long strip of metal that perhaps could be slipped into the chrome trim, then popped into place on the door which already held small round 'holders" (have no idea what the real name of them is)...

The example you show is a '60 Buick...If you're after the lower piece, remove the door panel and the window and stick your hand up under there and feel around...there HAS to be clips holding it on...they didn't use glue either...!!!

IF you're after the upper pieces, around the door frame, those are held on by screws, remove the inside door molding and dig around-use a flashlight to find 'em, they're small Phillips head screws ...!!!

R-

7. They could be clips on the door. The mldg then is pressed either up then down are down then in up to fasten. Could be no clip at all. Could be the mldg was pulled over the door top and pressed on the door then snapped under into the window channel. Look into the window channel and see if the mldg has a lip turned under into the channel. Does the mldg have a screw at the outer end of the door?

8. belair

belair

Most likely the clips are nutted on from the back. Often there is a small screw on both or one end. Remove the screw(s) and (depending on the clip) they can be pried off with a screwdriver.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  9. papajohn

papajohn

On the upper door frames? I think there may be small clips behind the weatherstrip.

10. Swap out the doors?

11. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

this might be the best option... I was hoping to pull the set off my 60 starchief before I sell it, but I might just have to look around for some 59 impala doors
    the only thing it has is a little metal tab that folded over on the rear corner, the little lower belt molding under the vent window covers the bottom, and came off easy with a screw. I am thinking maybe it was pushed down from the top, and then snapped on around the window... I can pry it away around the window just a little bit, but then I get worried that it will bend before it releases...

12. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Theres a tool for remoing this kind of trim.... looks like a V on the end of a straight piece of metal... Do it slow or you will create little dents in the trim, no worries if you do a few of them they are pretty easy to fix...

13. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I thank you all that took the time to reply, I got a message on chevy talk that helped explain it:

"That trim snaps over the door post. The factory put some dumdum under it in spots too, and sometimes it can be VERY sticky yet making it hard to remove those. Its best to use a small flat blade screwdriver on the bottom side (next to the glass. You need to remove the window channels to get better access to this lip. Just start at one end and slowly work it over the edge. it helps to hold pressure away from the door while working it with the screwdriver. Make sure to work a wide area because it will bend and distort easily if you try to pry it off to quickly. the vertical post chrome should come off the same way, the top piece also helps hold it in place. The piece that goes over the triangle quarter window is held on by screws from the backside. You will need to remove the interior trim to find these."

so now all I have to do is try!!