Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Flames on a custom ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Hemi j, Sep 28, 2013.

1. hey if no one notices the crappy quality of a paint job because the job itself is so kool, YOU DONE GOOD. if your ever feeling generous, i need someone to help me lay down some kool on my truck this summer.

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Flames are awesome. Shitty flames suck. I'm not letting street rods and minitrucks take flames away from us. Just like black paint with red wheels, they're OURS! You can argue whether or not you like em, but not whether it was done. It was done.

This is mid to late 60's style but I love the flames on the Hollingsworth nomad. And the reverse licks on Lee Pratt's KILL me (pic stolen from my buddy Matt). It's the coolest thing ever. If you wanna armwrestle over it, I'm game :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I like Pie, and about a third of the flamed cars on this thread.

4. wicarnut

wicarnut

"Different Strokes for Different Folks". If we all liked the same thing, it would get awful boring, Agree?. Individuality was and is the car Hobby. John

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

True, but people like 30" rimmz and chameleon paint. Individuality and innovation has it's place and is important, but too often they're ignorant of preservation and history. When someone takes the time to appreciate and understand that stuff, that's when truly inspiring creation happens.

6. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Regarding the origin of flames, I recall reading it started with a lakes racer who always went fast, only to grenade his each time he ran. One day he showed up with flames painted on the hood and cowl of his car as a tongue-in-cheek reference to his usual outcome. BTW the Mercedes 300 SL gull-wing coupe belonged to Earl Bruce who had his brand new 1940 Ford coupe chopped and customized (rear quarter windows blanked) when it was brand new. He had it flamed to avoid an expensive repaint required by stone chips. And also to thumb his nose at conventional behavior, that is, "not only do I have a Mercedes 300 SL, but it's the ONLY one in existence that's flamed."

7. Slopok

Slopok

I think if done properly they can really set off a mild custom. Here's mine. IMG_3090.JPG

8. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sonny's Flamed 50
    2010-08-03-177.jpg

9. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. Slopok

Slopok

You'll notice I said mild! Those are wild!

11. 64ranchero

64ranchero
    from Peoria, Az

I think flames are bitchin' on Kustoms. This is my friends merc, my dad laid the flames down on the car for him.

Attached Files:

12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

That '58 Pontiac was done by Larry Watson and featured in the July 1959 issue of Car Speed and Style magazine. In the article, the paint job was referred to as an "all out" paint job.

13. birdman1

birdman1

Really? agruing about flames?? To each his own is my opinion. So there!

14. lurch13

lurch13

my old 60 cad at the first round-up Picture 119.jpg

15. The opinions of others is irrelevant.

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

When the topic is about customs. There is always somebody to voice there opinion that they don`t like it. Be it flames, bumpers, grille treatment or some other reason. I respect the early style flame jobs contrary to what some(most) people think.

Surfcityrocker likes this.