Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ignition problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman62, Jul 22, 2014.

1. birdman62

birdman62
    from mass

I recently within a few months installed a new ignition system on my falcon which has a 302. Blaster 2 coil, msd wires, new plugs, and a msd cap a dapt which basically makes it a HEI. EVER since I installed this my car doesn't start without giving it gas. Once warm it's not bad but cold it's terrible it will not start on its own. I had the blaster 2 on my other setup and it didn't cause a issue but once I put that cap on it was game over. I thought it was my carb, wrong I cleaned the carb and dialed it in and still runs the same. Once my idle is up it drives great no spits or sputters or misfires. It's simply at idle. I didn't touch my timing when I changed the cap and I believe the original distributor was the stock ford one. I have a big trip coming up with my car and I would love to figure this out.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. I had the same problem but it was due to lack of fuel.

Pull the line off your fuel pump and crank it over and see if you are getting gas. HRP

3. birdman62

birdman62
    from mass

I can double check but I get fuel fine at higher rpms. I have a glass fuel filter too and it seems to have fuel. If it means anything too I have an elec fuel pump. Just starting doesn't seem to have fuel or its flooded out. Actually it seems more flooded out then anything

4. 32viper

32viper

I have a 289 in a 32 ford. I thought I had a problem with the spark plugs being too hot. I switched to a colder plug and created the problem you describe.

5. birdman62

birdman62
    from mass

Well I changed my plugs last and drove it with the original plugs and had the issue still. I wasn't sure if the cap with the plug wire spacing being further away that it may not be in tune and the cap it's self may be doing it because when the rpm comes up there is no issue

6. birdman62

birdman62
    from mass

I will buy new plugs and give it a try tho. I'm almost about to buy a new carb and distributer just because I'm soo fed up with it and frusterated

7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

On the surface, you've added / done nothing that would lessen the engines performance.
    MSD coil
    MSD cap and rotor
    MSD plug wires
    New spark plugs

Don't know, nothing here suggests any problems.

Cap adapter on correctly/completely ?
    The piece of carbon in the cap vs. the "tang" on the rotor making good contact ?
    Plug wires built and installed properly.
    Didn't bump/loosen any wiring anywhere ?
    Etc., etc.

Mike

8. Did you replace the ignition parts because there was a problem with the original ignition system?

Does the carb have a choke? Manual or automatic? Is it adjusted and working properly? If it's got an electric choke thermostat did something get unplugged while swapping the ignition parts?

You say you installed an "adapt-a-cap"... does that also require some kind of a special "adapt-a-rotor"?

9. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

Sounds like a fuel issue to me and I would check the choke system, symtoms sound like choke.