Register now to get rid of these ads!

stock 32 flathead motor mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zgears, Feb 13, 2009.

1. zgears

zgears

anybody repoping stock 32 flathead motor mounts, making a suitable replacement or have some dimensional drawings? the L-arm type that bolts to the block.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

Don't know of any repops. I may know a guy that will sell some originals.

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

They pop up on Ebay about twice a month. Don't remember the going rate but remember they seemed cheap compared to a lot of '32 parts.

Frank

4. Rem

Rem

$300 or more I think? Not what I'd call cheap, but then in the realms of $300 trunk lid handles and Pines grille inserts that don't reach reserve at $6800, nothing is cheap if the description includes the words 'original' or 'genuine' along with '32 Ford.

5. Rem

Rem

Oh, and I'm looking for some '33-'34 ones if anyone has any spare. I hear they are much cheaper than '32 ones.

6. Fogger

Fogger

The original '32 Ford V8 front motor mounts were forged steel. All of the repops I've seen are cast iron. For what originals are selling for I'd think a fabricated set out of 1018 cold roll would be better than the cast ones. It's common to use the originals to mount a sbc in a '32 frame when using a '39 Ford transmission. It's quite interesting how it all lines up. The FOGGER

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yes, flathead and SBC both all have very similar pairs of holes beside the timing area; in both cases the holes were kept, sometimes used and sometimes unused for other purposes, long after their use as mounts. There are other notable similarities in archittecture. too.
    For fabrication, you can reduce the problem to a flat strip with holes for mount and block and another strip cut as the vertical flange and welded on...all work would then be single plane bending

8. Rem

Rem

These are '34 ones, and I assume '33 are the same, although I understand there are slight differences in the front crossmembers? Obviously the big difference between these and '32 ones is the water outlet (inlet?) being integral with the mount.

[​IMG]

Were there ever problems with the '32 ones fatiguing the crossmember, being much closer together than all the later flathead mounts?

9. BillM

BillM
    Member Emeritus

Here's a picture of ones I made.

And a PDF of a partial drawing. The drawing dosen't show the gussets in the corners of the vertical and horizontal pieces or the details of the cutouts necessary to clear the water pumps. The 12 inch dimension is the distance between the mounts on the crossmember and the 9 1/8 inch is the distance between the holes on the front of the block. I didn't have originals to copy but these mount the block so that the crank center lines up with the hole in the grill on my '32; and the rear of the block clears the stock firewall.

Attached Files:

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

This guy used to make them. If he still does it will be top drawer. I'd call the number. This site is old and unchanged.

[​IMG]

Some old hot rodder made these almost 40 years ago. Yes it holds a Chevy but a flathead would be very similar and very easy to make.

11. xix32

xix32

made my own out of 1/4" cold rolled steel, 3 pcs welded together.
    [​IMG]

bct likes this.
  12. Southfork

Southfork

Nice fab, XIX32!
    Do you recall any of the key measurements and angles? For example, do you know the angle separating the vertical bolt-hole plane and the horizontal member? How about the distance on the horizontal leg from the center of the bolt hole to the outside corner where it meets the block? Any clues would be helpful.

13. Southfork

Southfork

Bill: Are you running an original ford 3-speed transmission in your 32, and did you keep the stock K-member? If so, with your home-made motor mounts, does the tranny and tranny mount fit right with the stock K-member?

14. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

15. xix32

xix32

for angles and dimensions, it's best to bolt the engine and trans up to the "K" member. then raise up the engine so the crank aligns with the crank hole guide. then fabricate the pieces to fit. here is a sketch of the pieces.
    [​IMG]

16. BillM

BillM
    Member Emeritus

The stock K member was removed eons ago; I first used a '37 Buick Roadmaster trans, then replaced that with a T10, and now am in the process of putting in a T-5 (S-10 version). So no guarantees with anything fitting correctly with a stock K member with the dimensions on my drawing.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  17. zgears

zgears

Finally got some made. Thanks to Don at D & D Engineering.
    [​IMG]

18. Here's some I fabbed up a while ago for my 8BA

Attached Files:

19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The '33-4 confusion above: EARLY only '33's used separate forged mounts with a matching different-than-late crossmember. The mounts were made much the same way as '32's but were much shorter, in closer to block, and I think wider at the frame holes than '32. The mounts shown above are on later '33's and are similar in general to the way all '33-36 were handled.

20. PeteVS FP NJ

PeteVS FP NJ

First time posting on the new HAMB, so I'm feeling my way. I'm trying to show an out of focus picture of the side of the '32 mount, showing the profile of the "stiffening rib" and the nub that goes up under the block. (Thanks Bruce!) 32 motor mounts 10sm.jpg

Posted better pictures on FordBarn. See link below in post #28...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  21. swifty

swifty

22. pete, not too long.
    Al.

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

On that stiffening rib Pete mentions...scope that out thoroughly before you finish everything and paint it.
    That rib has to be slightly relieved when used with '37-48 pumps, which spread out the fanbelt more than '32-36 pumps. On the stocker the relief can be pretty subtle, but if you are following tradition most '32 mounts have a really excessive gouge ground out because the perp was too lazy to walk from grinder to car to sneak up on the minimum.
    Also check out the fit between your outer edges and the '37-48 pumps. Original mounts generally need a bit of clearancing here. If worried about value, pumps are a lot cheaper than '32 mounts...

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Bruce...Love your avatar, recall it being in a news magazine in my youth.

I mentioned it to one of the nuns at my school, and she said sternly: "Michael, there will never be robots to replace our librarians." Well! LOL

25. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I do not know where avatar came from...probably a standard government one that's part of the ongoing NSA labeling program.
    Check yours when it appears...I understand that if it features a camel or a turban of any sort, you should start collecting travel brochures on Guantanamo.
    Bell Helmet is probably OK, as American as apple pie or fried Twinkies...

26. Try MEC (330) 644-3450, modelengineeringco.com or Drake http://www.bobdrake.com/ for repros. I can't vouch for the quality of either source.

Charlie Stephens

27. PeteVS FP NJ

PeteVS FP NJ