Register now to get rid of these ads!

Project "No Buck$ 49"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod 49, Jan 20, 2009.

1. chubbie

chubbie

Great picture blow that sucker up BIG and frame it and hang that on the living room wall!!!

2. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Hey Brad , about that wheel coating post , here's what I did to the wheels on the shop truck . They have a slight gold cast that gives an "as cast" look . It's a ceramic by Embee Coatings.

Attached Files:

3. 802bbq

802bbq

I just spent 4 straight hrs reading this thread and just want to grab my tools and get to work! Thank you!

4. Nice work. I also just spent an evening reading this thread. This is exactly what I was after when I built my 49 F1, but went too far and made it too nice. After the loss of my roadster PU I need another truck, just like this. It will have to wait until I’ve got the LSR Roadster purring.

Skip

5. boardwalk jo

boardwalk jo
    from North West

Whew........ now that is a mother of all threads. Thanks Hodrod49 for all the info and hard work. YOU ARE D MAN!!!!

6. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Thanks for the kind words guys! Here's some more 'liner stuff for those who are wondering. Just got the front suspension and steering wrapped up, now on to the back.

[​IMG]

Tman likes this.
  7. Ah! Thanks to Chip pointing me to this awesome thread I also see that you are THAT Brad that I have been watching on landracing.com!

Thanks for the detail with your truck, my GMC is going to be done in a similar fashion. This thread reminds me of all the cool low buck tech in American Rodder Magazine!

8. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Yes Tman, I'm THAT Brad! Our pal Chip is always out causing trouble, so don't believe anything he tells you about me! :) Thanks too for the kind words!

9. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

10. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Well it's been long enough! Gonna drive the truck up to the salt in August so back to finishing up the AC for the cruise!

11. patiently waiting.....

12. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Awesome build. Nice work, down to Earth and regular hot rod thinking aplayed/out of the box thinking .

I'm gonna second big Mike, and ad;
    Inpatiently waiting.

13. cheezwiz

cheezwiz

Really Diggin the truck, I gotta give a word of warning tho on the cheapie spindles! I had one break off at the snout while pulling into someones driveway, and I was barely moving. Had it happened 30 minutes later than it did I'd have been tooling down I-70 southbound at rush hour and wouldn't be here to warn you !!

14. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Pulled the 'liner out of the shop for the first time yesterday to take it to Sage Cheshire. What a great day! [​IMG]

Tman likes this.
  15. Wow!!! What class and motor will you be running in the liner @hotrod 49 ? Looks great!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That Dragster build like like great craftmanship, but you got something backwards.
    You mismatch the buildplan and put the engine in the back.
    :rolleyes) :green)

Any progress on your truck?

17. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

It's because it's a streamliner and NOT a dragster! Lol Sorry, no good pics of the truck yet, but soon!

18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Okay, My Bad. Please insert smiley with RED ears.

This might be a dumb question, too some; What does make it a streamliner?
    I'm a little slow, because this kind of Racing is not popular around here. So I just asumed it was RED, and liner was the particual model you build.

19. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Hey Volvo! The car I'm building is pretty much for racing at the Bonneville Salt Flats (maybe El Mirage) and is an all out assault vehicle for seeing how FAST (not quick as in drag racing) you can go in your engine size/class. The course length is 5 miles (at Speedweek) and the car is designed with absolute aero and air control in mind. EVERYTHING is enclosed inside the body of the vehicle to make it the most efficient to move through the air! Hope that helps.

20. TheRookie

TheRookie
    from Sparks NV

Great build! I am glad it was brought back to the front. I am trying to get a similar truck off these folks who have 4 of them sitting on a farm.
    I really look forward to reading your streamliner build as well!

21. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

I'm glad I get you guys fired up on doing the truck stuff! I'm working away on the AC and getting excited to see how it's going to work! It's pretty much a "Frankenstein" deal as Alex likes to refer to it. I'll be posting up pics and letting everyone know how it works shortly ...

22. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Ok, here we go! There's lot's of little things, so I'll try to cover as much as I can. First off... the AC unit I scored from Alex and he'd taken it out of a mid 70's Chevy pickup as a dealer installed option. Pretty basic and simple unit. Since I had no intention of cutting holes in the dash, I decided to put it inside the glove box area and aim it toward the firewall (I'll explain later). The mount I made is very simple
    [​IMG]
    and I used existing holes in the seal area under the hood for the rear mounting bolts (10/24's are both small and strong enough) so I didn't have to drill a bunch of holes.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This is a little bit ahead but I didn't get any pics when I first mocked it up
    [​IMG]

23. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

The beat up, pee'd on and thrown across his garage Geo Metro compressor, seeing it from inside the passenger inner fender.
    [​IMG]
    All the cuts have since been rounded, but this was during initial mockup.
    [​IMG]
    The hose and fittings kit (including the dryer) was a couple hundred on Ebay. The dryer is mounted on the pinch weld/toe board area of the passenger side. Everything is hidden so nobody will know!

24. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

One area that was going to be weird was the return line (-10) back to the compressor. Since it faces the glove box, I took a 45 degree I snagged from Alex along with a 90 I had and cut and welded them up to make this
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I drilled (2) 1 1/2" holes in the little upper shelf for the hoses to drop through and 2 more inside the kickpanel to inner fender area...
    [​IMG]

25. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Here's a pic of the condenser and 1 of the brackets that hold it in place.
    [​IMG]
    I mounted it parallel with the radiator so airflow isn't interrupted. After ALL of the fittings were in place, I ran the hose as it would finally be. It was clamped where needed and left loose where both lines go to the compressor (for loosening and tightening when changing belts) THEN I cut the hoses to length. After marking the fittings and hoses (VERY IMPORTANT!)
    [​IMG]
    I took them to Hesperia Hose and for a $1 per crimp (8 bucks total) Craig handled me!
    [​IMG]

26. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

The hoses are hidden behind the sill plate (the cover with the latch) so nothing shows!
    [​IMG]

27. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

I was digging around for some scrap aluminum to make the AC switch panel and stumbled onto some stuff I did a few years back. Anyone who knows me, knows I'm seriously ADD and am ALWAYS up for pretty much any serious challenge (and I do finish what I start!) and decided I was going to take some of my lettering stuff and actually turn it into a font! I know this is a little off track, but I thought it was kinda cool.
    [​IMG]
    I brushed all my characters on these little chunks of aluminum before scanning them into my computer and converting them into vector art and making an actual font list (LOTS of hours!) and finally finishing it and having it become "Ragged Brad"! Insert absolutely shameless plug here http://www.letterheadfonts.com/fonts/raggedbrad.php ... So anyway back to the truck! I cut that up to make my AC switch panel that sits in next to the stereo hidden out of sight.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Now to drill some holes and paint it black...

daddio211 likes this.
  28. daddio211

daddio211

Way cool! I love your simple tech how to's.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dude! You created your own font? Bitchin'!!!

Love the story of the A/C compressor in it's entirety... Gotta ask Alex on that one.

So cool to see it all hidden in plain sight like that...

30. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

The AC kicks serious ass! Alex came over and helped me fine tune the charge and laughed 'cuz I couldn't stop giggling! I felt like a little kid!