Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Roadster Windshield ideas

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Sprout, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Sprout

Sprout

Im collecting parts for a roadster/ coupester build. I'm looking for ideas that
    i could use. It has the original frame now, but I'm not against cutting it off.

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Kind of hard to see in these pictures, but this rpu body was once a fordor sedan and my Son cut off the original posts and grafted on Model A roadster posts and then a 32 windshield frame. It took a bunch of work to get it done, but it now looks more like a roadster than a fordor with the roof cut off.

Don
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of just the posts without the frame to give you a better idea of what is involved.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk and dana barlow like this.
  3. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Need more info, what style, and cowl ya using?

4. Hard to say without knowing what you're building, but here's what I did with my 29 roadster. Two inch chopped Speedy Bill ( RIP ) posts that I cut another two inches out of. Widened them with aluminum channel tilted them back a few degrees with a couple of pie cuts and fit the glass. I've got 7 inches of glass at the center, I like em with a hammered look.

Attached Files:

Sprout, volvobrynk and dana barlow like this.

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

using the post/frame from a inclosed car for a roadster dose look thick an off the mark. But when making it into a roadster,be sure to have your seat/steering wheel all ready worked out so you can get the hight right to see throught the windsheild vs over it!, All though a too low windsheild may look good to you,to any one that has driven a rod with what is a too low windsheild can tell you,it totaly sucks if there honist, will not look good to you after you know that. Shit that don't work well ,dose not look cool except to the stupid,

6. I've been driving mine for three years now and I look out through the windshield, not over it, as I have the top on it 90 percent of the time. I set up the seat and steering based on being able to see out the windshield. Form and function, how stupid of me.

7. Sprout

Sprout

sorry its a 31 cowl

8. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Can't believe you built something that is comfortable, and practical...... I thought all cars had to be driven from the back seat laying down, with big intakes, and even taller exhausts. Talk about marching to the beat of a different drummer.

9. mws

mws
    from Iowa

Here are some pics of my old coupester. I believe the cowel and doors were from a pickup. As you can see from the pics, I fabbed up stantions, and welded them to the top of the cowel. I also modified the piece that connects the two cowel posts and holds down the gas tank. The windshield frame is 1" 6061 aluminum bar that had a 5/16" channel milled in it, and then rolled it to fit the contour of the cowel. After everything was tig welded, I polished the aluminum. And then of course, I had to get a piece of safety glass cut to fit the frame. I hope this helps you.

Attached Files:

10. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Here's mine
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402017603.261113.jpg

Posted from Austinrod

11. Randy Radford

Randy Radford

Here's my little 26 modified I have been working on. I found a 26 or 27 hupmobile roadster cowl. The cowl was to far gone to save, but the windshield posts snd frame was in great shape.

save the salt

Attached Files: