Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrome Plating in Iowa

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by midnightrider78, Feb 3, 2014.

1. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I am probably going to end up rechroming the rear bumper for my '56 Chevy 150. The new one I bought doesn't fit worth a darn... like most of the other repop parts for this car.

I am hoping to take it somewhere here in central Iowa, primarily to avoid the cost of sending it somewhere. Dad used Souix Plating alot years ago. Is this my best bet or is there a better place for balance of quality/pricing?

2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sioux Plating still is the place to use.

They have a DesMoines place you can drop it off at and there truck takes to Sioux City and Back to DM.

Sioux Plating - Desmoines
    1693 NE 54th Avenue
    Des Moines, IA 50313
    515-243-6957 or
    800-532-1419

There is no other chrome place in Central Iowa to take your bumper to.

3. walter

walter

they did a lot of work for me and I am very happy. Great people!

4. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

5. alchemy

alchemy

My little brother had the bumpers from his '57 Ford done by Northstar Plating. They are in Brainerd Minnesota, but pick up parts at most major body shops. His bumpers look nice!

kabinenroller likes this.
  6. iarodder

iarodder

I've used Chrome Reflections is Des Moines and had good luck with them, and they do it right there in house! They are located on E. 14th St. Just a mile or so south of the interstate. And they do it right, copper nickel chrome they way it should be. As far as I know they are still in business, might be worth looking into if you need more chrome work done. Just my 2 cents...

7. gatz

gatz

Industrial Plating in Omaha is another place that does good work.

8. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I was wondering if that place was any good. I've got the chrome taken care of now, but thanks for the input.

9. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Sioux plating did the bumpers on my Olds, nice work done on them

10. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

I realize that this is an old thread. But if you’re looking, Sioux plating doesn’t have a shop in Des Moines anymore if they still exist at all. The old phone number still rings to a refinishing shop that is in their old building. They were no help on suggestions on who still does bumpers and pot metal trim pieces.

11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hillbilly Werewolf and 67drake like this.
  13. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I will second the comment about North Star Plating doing great work. My body shop sent the bumpers for my Cyclone to North Star, they returned in perfect condition, no marks, no waves, mirror perfect. They must have Gorillas doing the polishing because these bumpers are huge and must have been difficult to wrestle around a buffer.
    IMG_4331.jpeg
    IMG_4358.jpeg

14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Another company not that far away is Precision Plating in Quincy Ill. They've done lots of plating for me over the years. Last I knew it was still a family operation. They treated me really good and I was pleased with the quality and service. I had platers closer but they seemed uninterested in my needs. When I first went there they were down by the river but later built a new facility on high ground.

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Northstar did the bumpers on my Impala 30 years ago
    61 Impala 2008 (8).JPG 61slick.jpeg

lumpy 63 and kabinenroller like this.
  16. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

I’ve never used them, but will need them in the future. That’s where the local guys around here go.

17. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Northstar did a great job on my bumpers 23 years ago and they still look as good now as they did back then. I would not hesitate to send them some more.
    I have also had some stuff chromed about 5 years ago at The Chrome Shop in Rock Island Illinois. They were close enough that I drove over to drop off and pick up. They did nice work.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  18. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

Thanks for all the replies. I will check out Precision Plating and AIH. AIH closed at 3:30 today so I missed them, but I still drive down to Keokuk some and Quincy is just a hop and a skip from there. Do you know if either of these places will do the trunk emblem? One place told me they wouldn't touch it as it isn't steel.

19. BJR

BJR

North Star did the bumpers on my 49 Buick. That is all they do now is bumpers, no hood ornaments, grilles, or anything else, just bumpers. They also raised their prices by 80% just after I got my bumpers done, so now it's un affordable.

20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

seems like I paid 1200 bucks 30 years ago to get mine done, how much does it cost now??

21. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I've had great service from Northstar, although it's been years so I can't comment on their current pricing. Their website indicates they do things other than bumpers, this is a quote from there: "We offer chrome plating for bumpers and just about any other steel or brass part you might have. Recently we chrome plated some barbed wire for a customer who was in the business of barbed wire (see photo below). He wanted to use it to decorate his motorcycle, and we loved the idea. So get creative." It's best to call them to confirm, though.

22. BJR

BJR

North Star is over $2000 per bumper 4 years ago. When I asked about doing my grille and other chrome they told me all they do now is bumpers. They were bought out by a big corporation about 5 years ago.

Moriarity likes this.
  23. kls50

kls50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Chrome Shop in Rock Island, IL. is across the river from Davenport, IA. (Quad Cities). They have done several parts for me to include both bumpers, the front grill and other parts for my 50 Ford. They also straighten and polish stainless steel and other metals. I highly recommend them.

24. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

When I was at Precision several years ago I think they were doing die cast restoration but I might be wrong? Several of the workers were older and may have retired.