Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banger A wont run

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gotit, Jul 19, 2014.

1. gotit

gotit

Looking for some help because I am truly stumped. I was driving my banger A one day and it just shut off like you turned the key off. I checked for spark and had none. I have since put in points, condenser, coil, cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs and an ignition switch. I have been through all the wiring and everything checks out but I still do not have spark. Everything else electrical is working and fine except the ignition.

Any ideas? I could use a little help about now.

Thank you in advance

GotIt

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  2. gotit

gotit

Where are all the banger guys

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Have you tried the screw in part of the ignition wire where it hits the dizzy? I can get corroded or the wire gets messed up where you can see it. Also the wire from the lower plate to the upper plate may not have any insulation left and is grounding.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Do you have a hot battery?

Have you check your battery cable to make sure they are not corroded? HRP

5. RussTee

RussTee

Run a earth from the battery direct to the engine?

6. gotit

gotit

The battery and cables were new in march when I installed the new mill. I then put the protective spray on them. I have 6.33 volts at all connections and I have spark at the points.

I have 6.33v at the coil but I can not get spark from the coil to a ground

HRP, what does that mean to have a hot battery? As in it is really hot to the touch?

7. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

I ran I to a intermittent ignition problem with my A.

It left me on the side of the road one night and we found it. The bolt that threads into the head and hold the distributor was stripped out. I found out that bolt was the battery positive connection to the distributor.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. gotit

gotit

Ok. I am getting somewhere I guess. If I open and close the points by hand I will get spark on occasion but I noticed when I do get spark that the spark at the points is greater also.

Mean anything to anyone?

9. gotit

gotit

Ok. I figured it out. It had been a while of tinkering when I had time and the answer was so simple. The fuel pump I had wired in to the acc. Port on the key switch and it was keeping it from sparking. Why I have no idea but it did. It worked fine for a couple months and then decided it wasn't having it but I am back up and functional.

Thank you for all the great ideas and suggestion

10. How is your coil wired? Are you using the stock armored cable to the distributor?

11. gotit

gotit

I am running the armored wire with the spring loaded end into the dizzy

12. The Model A ignition wiring is pretty strange; the ignition switch is wired in the right in the middle of the coil to points circuit, so anything else wired to the ignition switch would only drop the voltage to the points. You're going to need a separate switch for that pump.

13. gotit

gotit

I used the old ignition switch and put it in the wood floor between the seats. Works perfect. I have model a guys say it was fine to have it the way I did and it did work for quite some time. Very weird and a hard one for me to figure out. I'm glad I had the fuel lines off and was tired of the little bit of fuel spitting.