Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 59 impala 1 pc bumper disassembly?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Camino Kid, Jul 17, 2014.

1. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

Do any of you guys know how the main support for a 1959 1 pc bumper comes out of the bumper so the bumper can be rechromed. The ends are cupped where the bumper wraps around and the support is so long you cant get it out. My friend cut his support to get it out and just made a plate bracket to bolt it back together to make things easier. He also said the chrome shop would do it if we just dropped off the bumper with the support in it, but Im like a dog with a bone. I like to understand how everything works. I need to know how the factory removed and installed these. There are some notches on the bottom edge of the bumper that Im guessing are key to this and you have to roll the support out somehow, kinda like the ring trick magicians do.

2. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

nobody knows how to do this?

3. squirrel

squirrel

portapower? How much is it lacking?

4. You could porta power it open, make brackets that bolt in to the bumper bolt holes, and use a come along, to pull it closed. I'm curious myself, how others do it.

5. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

The factory had to of had some way they did this, I dont think they bent the bumpers to get the brace in. I could be wrong, but that dosent seem like how they typically did things...

6. squirrel

squirrel

Too bad most of us don't have one to play with. If you have one to play with, you could post a bunch of pictures, and we could give you lousy ideas that you probably already tried.

Drunk Man and Torkwrench like this.
  7. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

lol!!! I was going to post a pic of the bumper and brace but still havent got the new hamb figured out yet.

8. squirrel

squirrel

Looks like the closest you'll get is if one end of the bar is in the corner, and the other end goes in the notch? Pictures of it disassembled would help, too. And you could measure how long the bar is, and how short the opening is, so we could get an idea of how much bending it might need.

9. It definitely has to be bent. Pushing the support in one corner, while trying to get it out at the end, didn't come close.

10. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

Weren't the original bumpers 3 piece?..when I bought my car years ago the bumper was rechromed and separate from the brace...I jacked the bumper open to fit the brace..but the bumper isn't completely straight. .it has a slight curve to it..I've lived w/ it over the years. .I think im going to do like your buddy did and cut it in half, trim it, and make a bracket to bolt it together. .

11. squirrel

squirrel

There were different styles of bumpers on Chevys from the 50s-60s. One piece or 3 piece. Depends on where the car was made, etc.

12. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

Thanks for posting up the pics Jay. Cutting it is going to be the easiest, it just seems strange that the factory would bend a nice new bumper to put the brace in. When we tried pushing the support corner to corner I got it to just barely start to go into the notch, maybe the bumper is just slightly bent enough to stop it from being able to twist or roll it out? Jay was that plate on the center of the bracket already there? Squirrel is right too, the calif. factory I believe made the one piece bumpers so they are stock. For 59 impala Ive seen 1, 2 and 3piece bumpers. (El KaMiNo KiD, looks like you beat me to that name by only 2 mos. dang it. sorry.)

13. squirrel

squirrel

That is very likely

14. I made plates for both sides of the support. Front and back, plus I welded on more steel to mate up against the whole supports surface, since it's not flat.

15. 60´s might be a three pc bumper, but 9´s are two pc. They split right down the center

16. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

Oh, I could be confusing 59 with 60. I thought I had seen 3 pc 59s on epay when I was still looking for the 1 pc 59 bumper.

17. 100809996-2.jpg

You can see the split in the center. 60's are made up of 3pcs

mario711 and stillrunners like this.
  18. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

3 piece rear bumpers on '59's if the car was from the Midwest, one piece from west coast.

19. How about a Sunday idk bump

20. I expected more

21. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

I thought some body would come up with one of those answers where Id be saying to myself , why didnt I think of that? I cant be the first to ask this question. somebodys got know the secret. Maybe someone who worked in 59' at the factory.

22. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Oh the old 59 Chevy front bumper! I remember sitting there stumped when I took mine off. It took 2 of us each with a prybar to get the cross piece off, sent the bumper to chrome, and then we taped padding on the end of the fresh chrome bumper to and then used prybar again to get the cross piece back in. My chrome was fine after install and didn't crack from the prying.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. 59Elkys

59Elkys

Assembly manual sect. 14 sheet 3 note 4 "spring one piece face bar open at outer ends to allow assembly of mounting bar". I used port a power to spread and it mostly sprung back. I used ratcheting cargo strap to draw it back the rest of the way to where I could install the bolts.

squirrel likes this.
  24. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Thanks for posting. BUT the thread is 7 yrs old.

25. Thanks for bringing it back up - have a 1 piece on my sedan delivery out of Cali which appears to be a re-chrome from those Bumper Boys and will need to come off.

loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  26. Jesus Diaz

Jesus Diaz

Hello After scouring the internet for this answer, I could not find the answer on how to remove or install the center support on a front bumper for 1959 impala, my bumper is a one piece so its very difficult, What I did was I took to truck with tow packages and backed them up with the length of the bumper between them then I used a tow strap in each corner too ratch it them apart, I used the truck tow hitches as my hooks to strap the tow straps enough to get the center bar in hope this helps I have no pics but should work

27. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

When I assembled my 3 piece 59 bumper I put it together as a sub assembly with all the bumper bracket installed and then installed it to the frame .

28. Just ran into this issue today with a one piece bumper. I'm going to cut the brace in half and make a backing plate and bolt it back together. The bonus is that way everything will fit in my blaster. Will have to admit it is a head scratcher.

El Camino Kid likes this.