Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Sorry to hear about that, was reading about you running and testing that Dominator and "thought" man his car runs good.......Al

2. 65COMET

65COMET

Merritt;what broke?Terminal Injury?What are you replacing it with? ROY.

3. SLCK64

SLCK64

This was on my FB feed.....gooooo Dale!

Attached Files:

zombie289 likes this.
  4. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Yes Merritt, I will be there. Flying back on thursday. Steve and I are putting our two cars and his Ramp truck in a display at the York Fairgrounds, and then race on Sunday.

5. 65COMET

65COMET

SLCK64;Dale's Comet runs a slush box,says he is going to beat my 65,not even close!!! ROY.

6. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Roy
    Any idea when the "Rocket" will be back home? In time for CHRR I hope.....Mike

7. Merritt

Merritt

8. Merritt

Merritt

Al, Thanks for asking about that carb thing, the Dominator I borrowed was an older 9375, I don't remember how to describe it but it doesn't have the idle circuit the newer ones have. Had some low speed drive-ability issues, but worked on the track. The ET was about the same as with the regular 750 I use but it picked up 2 MPH. I was pleased with that. For the sake of consistancy I don't plan to run it but might try it again at the end of the year. I hope to have the Comet back on the track by Labor Day.

9. Merritt

Merritt

Hi Roy, The short version is I put a new crank in over the winter, on the first run in April number 8 rod broke, this was obviously an installer error. The old/new crank was repairable, 5 or 6 rods will be usable, the block will be repairable, pistons probably will not be usable. AFR heads suffered a little damage but will be reusable. All this will go into a spare motor. I felt bad for Ken when his Comet was down so long for a broken engine, now I understand. We are building an all new motor, hope to have it ready to go by Labor Day.

10. I talked to Roy today who is racing in Washington. He made it into the "quick 8" for nostalgia super stock running a 10.34 and a 10.36! Go Roy!

I have a feeling "The Rocket" will not see USA soil for a long time...and will have to learn to speak the Queens English...just a guess though

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. loudbang

loudbang

12. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken looks like he is day dreaming!!! Like Mike said,I made the Quick 8 in N/SS,made it to the Final only to go RED by .011!!My weekend ended on my first pass Sunday as I broke the 3-4 shift finger again,I thought I had it figured out but I guess I did not!!!Long three day tow[both ways] for 6 and 3/4 passes!! There were a bunch of Comets there,two 64s,five 65s and one 66,one 64 made the final in N/SS against a 68 Cougar,gave up too much stripe and lost!! ROY.

13. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Great Job on Quick 8 Roy, but Tree was to fast, how did Randys Tbolt run? I heard fast but not an ET. Sorry to hear of the breakage.....Later Al

14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Do you run a Jericho? Some stick racers on CLASSRACER were having the same problem a while back. Seems like they were searching for old ones because the new ones were breaking?

15. 65COMET

65COMET

tommyd;yes,I run a DR4 Jerico,this is the second time in three weeks!!! I talked to quite a few racers running Jerico Transmissions,the discussion on CLASSRACER was brought up,I need to check it out.As far as I know the 3-4 finger was an original,obviously the latest one was new!!I'm going to call Jerico tomorrow and pick their brains and order another finger!! It sucks because you need to blow the car apart,pull the trans apart to replace the finger,then put everything back together!! ROY.

16. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;I'm terrible with names,if Randy has a yellow 64 T-Bolt then it was running very well,mid 9s if I remember correctly!! I knew I had to hit the tree hard to stand a chance,guess I hit it too hard!!! ROY.

17. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Thanks Roy yes he has a yellow T-Bolt

18. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;then yes,his Fairlane was haulin the mail!!!Randy was pitted right across from me,they tried to pit all of the N/SS A/FX cars together,I believe there were three lanes of us!!A lot of FE powered cars there,hell,a lot of FORDS,two stick shift Mercurys in the final,Thor's FE powered Cougar and Jamie's 347 64 Comet,Thor's Cougar won!! ROY.

19. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Sounds like a great race. Jamies Comet runs 347 @1020s? or close it must be a high rev. sweetheart......Al

20. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;Jamie uses a Big Bore,4.125",Dart Block,he has a 3.27" [I think] stroke crank which gives a much better rod ratio! It is a screamer,runs very good,Edelbrock Super Victor intake with a tall tapered spacer,AFR 205s with a lot of work,he was dialed in at 10.10 for the finals!! I think Thor and Randy are friends,may have helped each other on their FEs!! ROY.

21. ec164

ec164
    from MI

That's the same block I just sold finally, it was 4.125 but could go much larger for 363, at least 4.165 safely. Very impressive his car must be 3000 lbs or less, hope to accomplish that myself.......Al

22. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;Jamie's 64 is all steel except the teardrop hood.It still has stock type front suspension and rear leafs with Cal-Tracs,I did not ask him about the weight of his Comet,mine is 3050 without my fat ass in it!! ROY.

23. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Roy LOL ....Guess I figured these cars were lighter, I never weighed mine before tearing it apart......Al

24. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;certain people state that originals were a lot lighter!! Mine has glass fenders,bumper and hood,lightened steel doors[weigh less than glass],lexan side windows,steel firewall,aluminum tunnel and floors,aluminum trunk,fuel cell,seats are aluminum,aluminum interior panels,small block FORD with aluminum heads and intake,aluminum radiator,aluminum and magesium trans,mild steel 10 point cage,still weighs more than what the 65 Comets weighed back then!!!All weights were taken on certified scales during National meets!!! ROY.

25. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Thanks Roy, I've worked hard at lightening mine, but not anymore than yourself, in fact I have factory tunnel and floors, steel fenders,doors and trunk floor, but glass hood deck lid and bumpers time will tell. Seems like Ken said,"his is around 3200 with him". Oh well is what it is. Good Luck with your trans......Al

26. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;I ordered the part [again] from Jerico,asked them if others were having this issue,he said no,but that most owners never contact them to let them know of an ongoing issue!I think I will try to build a set of shifter stops so I won't be 'over shifting' and putting pressure on that small keyway! On the weight issue,when I ran in 'STOCK' Eliminator my Comet had to weigh 2985 which it did,and it was weighed [and inspected] every time I won class!! ROY

27. ec164

ec164
    from MI

I don't doubt you at all Roy, comets are not as short as a Falcon. Hope the stops work would hate to see you start thinking C4......LOL.........Al

28. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;bite your tongue!!! Stick Shift FOREVER!!!!! ROY.

29. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

The car has been put on the back burner again. I am reducing projects around here but the Cyclone is STAYING. That has freed up a 428CJ short block/Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum heads and intake engine though! Crites engine swap kit may be in the future!

65COMET likes this.
  30. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Wow, it seems like EVERYONE has been on one type of road trip or another!! Hit US soil on Friday night, after 10 days of British dry wit and sarcasim , along with waaay too many late nights , but it was all worth it !! The day I landed, on the 8th, we went straight over to prep the car for the weekend of non-stop racing, and darned near burned it to the ground! The leaker Chinese carb did not seem to fair the journey too well, and after a fuel sill and numerous tweaks, off it went and the tried and true 750 double pumper I bought from Roy went on. Then I was told I was not allowed to run race gas in the class I was running, so my friends whisked my car up to their local chassis dyno guy, out in the middle of the English countryside. for a re-tune and dyno pulls. A few tweaks here and there and she was singing the tune of 401 rear-wheel H.P. , 34 degreees timing and 98 octane pump gas they sell at their stations!All outta the little 750!!
    We never really got rained out the entire weekend ! There were four '64 Comets, including Jon Websters old white '64, and that new copper colored car that is the buzz of the Comet community, and is seen a few pages back doing a wheelie. Jon is one HELLUVA nice guy and promises more pictures of the car!! It is flat amazing!! I also met up with Laurent Levi, from France, who runs the flip front end Hayden Proffit '64. Super nice guy, a real competitor! We actually got to match race each other as one of the final races of the event, end we put on a real show for the crowds!!

zombie289 likes this.