Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405828322.317890.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405828349.603862.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405828366.486869.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405828382.188775.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405828398.104890.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405828415.141755.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405828431.041885.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405828458.676595.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405828474.979498.jpg

Some pics from today

WACCUSTOMS.COM
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. powrshftr

powrshftr

Wrenchbender:
    It's been great hanging out with you guys all weekend,and Saltflats,it was cool to finally meet you today...

Wrenchbender,are you gonna tell em about the match race I got called out for at the end of the night,or should I....? :D

Scott

3. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Aww now powrshftr I don't want to steal the show here you are the hero here not I so please post away

4. powrshftr

powrshftr

Hahahaa!

Thanks Jackson,it did feel pretty good the way it went down.

So anyway,any of you guys who have followed the 'Gasser must haves and can't haves' thread,the one with steady contributions from the great Don Nowell,will REALLY dig this:

I'm sitting in the lanes waiting for all the fast cars to get I the last pass of the night,so that me and the only other SuperStock car in the lanes can make one more hit before the sun goes down.....

So a bunch of cars run,we fire up to pull ahead,and this dude in a pretty neat looking '56 Chevy gasser is looking at me and pointing frantically,again and again.
    He then sends the Lady staging the cars over to tell me he is calling me out!I knew I recognized that car.....

.....It was our old buddy 'Moonrocket'...lol!

So after the very dramatic call out,I roll the Shaker into the water box,do my customary first gear burn out/dry hop/whack the throttle to clear it out routine,pre stage quickly......

......He pre stages,I stage instantly,then a couple seconds later he stages,just as I'm bringing the rpms up to 5000....

The tree comes down and BOOM!

He red lights trying to put a hole shot on me,but in ever noticed,as I was tunnel vision on launching!

Out of the hole HARD,pulling a fender length on the Chevy as the front end settles in and BANG!Slam second gear at 6600!
    It hooks hard and pulls right back to my 6600rpm shift point as the Chevy slowly loses a car length and BANG!
    Grab a fistful of Hurst cueball and punch hard toward the dash for 3rd gear!

The Chevy was fading fast by time the 289 worked its magic up to 6000rpm,where I short shifted to 4th,and crossed the stripe a bus length ahead of the 'rocket',a victory that was pretty sweet,and a good way to bury the hatchet.

He followed me to our pits after the run and introduced himself,but I think he was a little disappointed when I already knew who he was,and I was just happy to hang out with my Dad after making the best pass of my life with the first car I ever owned,at the greatest event we've ever attended,put on by the greatest guys we've ever had the pleasure of meeting.:)

But I have to admit.....It sure was fun giving him a good look at this:
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405832331.172213.jpg

Scott

5. Excellent event!!!!

Saw your runs and next year... I just might have something in my possession for me to call you out!

6. powrshftr

powrshftr

Did you buy something at the show/swap meet?:)
    And did we meet yet?Im having a brain cramp here....Met so many great people this weekend I can't keep them all straight in my head!:)

Scott

7. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

I'm sitting in the RV sipping on my first cup of coffee. Waiting for the heavy dew to burn off. And everyone to start moving around at my first Melt Down. At this point all I can say is. Great event well ran friendly people clean grounds great weather. Fantastic event. I'll be back. Ron

8. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Excuse me for dragging quotes in my post not use to the format on my I phone. I also have pictures and videos to post later. Ron

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ron or anyone else on here:

PLEASE let me know if you got some video of my last run of the day as the sun was going down...It was the black Eastgate Ford "Lakeshore Shaker" vs a black 56 Chevy.

Thanks Guys

Scott

10. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Sorry Scott I don't , wish I did looked for you several times to say hi to you and your Dad. But I'm old and slow and you guys must be moving fast.
    Can't say enough about how well thing are being ran. Thanks to everyone involved. Ron

11. powrshftr

powrshftr

^x2!!!!

Ron,we are over beside the racers entrance,just look for the black Eastgate Ford car,we should be there in about an hour if you're around!:)

Scott

12. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Great time so far and getting ready to head there for day 3 !

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

Come by and say hi!

And in case anybody is still looking for them,we still have two Hemi cranks and two sets of Hemi heads.....One was ported by some guy.....I think his name was Mondello...?:D

Text me if you want something!
    519-466-8O76

Scott

14. Deadbird

Deadbird

This is an awesome event. Really cool cars and very well run. We'll be back next year for sure.

91whitestang likes this.
  15. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

will they be making any video as I would buy a dvd. I would love to see it. next year my son and I will try to be there.

16. cs39ford

cs39ford

17. Yup, my pal Randy. They are on their way home and had a killer time!

18. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I enjoyed reading that Scott..good stuff. Bet you don't see him looking you up today.
    Go find the Okiedoker and see if he wants to line 'em up! :)

19. Nitrosquid

Nitrosquid

Was able to go for the first time yesterday, what an incredible event! I got to introduce my two year old Daughter to drag racing, and she loved it! When we had to leave she was bawling for "MORE RACE CARS!" So there I was consoling and assuring her that there will be plenty of trips to the dragstrip, grinning from ear to ear. Thanks to everyone involved for a great day!

20. OldColt

OldColt

Congrats to the Southeastern Gassers for winning the North vs. South Gasser shootout. I'm a southern boy (Tennessee) ... sorry you northern guys ... y'all just need some faster cars next year LOL ... I'm sure y'all had a lot of fun trying though.

--- Steve ---

91whitestang and cptn60 like this.
  21. bigslim55

bigslim55

SCOTT A, THANKS for turning me onto GARY the carb guy!!! (You & your dad were awesome to meet!!!) 55' FORD Has never ran so well!!! I ran a 16.26, Gary worked his magic & ran 15.48, 1st run! 2nd didnt turn out so well as the gas pedal snapped in half inside car on 2nd run! LOL, I told 2 other Ford guys you knocked 1.5 sec off your previous best time! Next thing you no there beating on Gary's door! Gary & his wife were a pleasure to meet! Thanks to the MELTDOWN CREW for putting a CLASS EVENT!!! It was nice to escape from 2014 & step back to 1966 for couple days & not care about what's going on in the outside world!!! I'll be back next year! So much to see & do at the Meltdown! Hope everyone has a safe trip home & see ya next year!!! Jim...

30dodgeboy, loudbang and beebee78 like this.
  22. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

another great meltdown! really enjoyed the n versus south match up, the south has spoken! those guys were on the gas! really enjoyed talking to quain and gene. gene you really looked good out there! hope you guys will make the trip out next year. I know it was along weekend for everybody, but it was great. the meltdown group did a great job, with over 500 cars to deal with!

23. Saltflats - I happened to video you on Friday evening. Youtube search "salt flats meltdown". Not sure how to post it here??

saltflats likes this.
  24. Some cars...... image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

25. And more... image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

30dodgeboy, loudbang and enloe like this.
  26. Got more? Yes..... image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg