Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods can a car be cursed??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 911 steve, Jul 18, 2014.

1. That sounds like par for the course to me. I have never had one that didn't fight me every step of the way. You must have just been very lucky so far. Like someone said, thats just what old cars do.
    But don't worry, it never ends, its always something.

2. stimpy

stimpy

had a couple , a 60's beetle that ate ignitions like they were frenchfries , (replaced everything from the switch to the plugs and still burned up stuff ),
    and Bosch stuff isn't garbage either

a O/t thunderbird that we had a rear that howled to the point of the dealer replacing the whole axle assy 9" ( drum to drum ) with a new one after rebuilding it 2 x and the noise didn't go away
    , a MG the Lord of darkness ( Lucas) haunted me on car would only run when it was damp or foggy out ( the water must have been part of the circuitry ) .. finally we rewired it with Gm components and it ran great ..
    and a ex girlfreinds car , that for some reason kept coming back to me thru people it was sold to , that car must have been a stalker ...

but my wife knows I am nuts as my truck will not let her out unless I tell it to be nice , and it won't let some people in either ( people who don't take care of there cars ) . but I never have a problem with that door .... I told her she did something to the truck and he doesn't like her because of it ( feeding him cheap gas) ... one of my ex girlfreinds borrowed it one time and left her at the home depot would not start , I showed up and it fired up no problem .. ( her truck must have told mine how many times she wrecked it ( 3 ) and wanted no part of her . )

3. AJNapierski

AJNapierski
    from G.V. CA

Some cars definitely have some extra character to them but isn't that why we like them?

4. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Mine only ate gears and cranks and knockoff hubs. I
    never had a Lucas electrical issue, which proves it was cursed.

Once I thought I had an electrical problem when everything went dead at once.

Turns out the gland nut and lower pulley had spit off miles back. It was a cold night & so it never overheated before my Lucas driving lights ran the battery flat.

5. clem

clem

OP. Welcome to the world of hot rodding.

6. clem

clem

About sums it up!

7. stimpy

stimpy

mechanically the first one I had ( 62 B ) was a good runner but if it was dry out , it had electrical issues , at that point I swore that lucas used the english Fog as part of it circuitry ..
    My 63 B after the motor swap because someone thought it was a porsche and tried to rev the piss out of it and threw the crank ( pulled/broke the bolts out of the block ) we swapped in a 327 and glide ,( shortest drive shaft my driveshaft builder has built to date ) and then lucas reared his wand , so we changed it to negative ground and rewired it with Gm components . no more problems except of a few folded up wire baskets ( wheels) I learned how to lace rims that summer . had no issues with knockoffs , had a fellow MG'r who did , the Parts store we dealt with said it was from stretched threads on the stubs or the knocks offs themselves from idiot tire mounters who didn't clean the splines and used the nut to push the tire home or just spun the KO On and didn't hammer it and the tire wobbled and screwed up the stub or just loosened , as they are supposed to be self tightening while you drive , guy replaced the KO's and never had a problem again . the guy I sold the car to changed to bolt hubs as he couldn't find a wider tire and would smoke them easily ( I had some custom 14x6 wire rims which barely fit in the back ) but I also learned to soft pedal it out of the hole .

8. So...where in Nebraska are you located and did anybody die in the car?

9. When I was a kid out hunting with my grandad in the early 80's I stumbled across a great chevy II in a field that a guy had blown his brains out in. He had been there a few days from the looks of things. His dead body was leaning on the drivers side window. My grandad grabbed me by the collar and he called the police when we got back to town. I can't see a II without thinking of that. I don't believe inanimate objects can be cursed but I don't claim to understand everything either. Ill admit I've had that strange feeling when riding in some cars.

10. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

31 Vicky: the car is black & I always loved "Black Magic Woman" by Santana

11. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

Ricks Garage: I'm in Omaha, no one died in it as far as I know. To explain the 1st incident, my brother was pulling the 2-wheel dolly with my ElCamino on it when the trans went out on a Saturday at 400pm on I70. it wouldn't shift past 2nd gear. backed the Elky off and followed him to the exit.used on-star & got a tow truck. the tow truck followed him to the chevy dealer 1 mile away. sorry nothing we can do today, come back Monday. New Suburban with 7000 miles on it. so after checking the 40 over pretty good, I drove it from St Louis to Omaha Sunday morning without any problems. the problems with it started when I got it home.

12. Well ...

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Just what I was gonna say, ALL of mine must be cursed. Maybe its me???

14. firingorder1

firingorder1

Cars are inanimate objects. They have no souls and no they cannot be cursed. Cammy Norton motorcycles have souls. The only "curse" a car can have is in your mind which means you watched "Christine" too many times.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  15. Self fulfilling prophesy involving preconceived ideas or notions.

Red cars are dangerous.
    Encountering the red car get the "prophet" excited and invokes irratic action to escape the preconceived "danger" thereby actually causing an accident. The prophesy has be fulfilled and the notion solidified in the mind.

16. This was a thread I had in August of 2008;
    I have been towing my Chevys from the barn area to my new workshop/garage on another part of the property. The first 5 went fairly smooth, then I got to number 6, a 1950 Chevy 2 dr sedan. I was jacking it up in the air, a couple feet high was all, and finished the right side,placing blocks and 4" x 4"'s under it. I moved to the left side and started to jack it up when suddenly the right side dropped and the blocks were disinagrated as if someone had just used a sledge hammer on them (very small pieces) W.T.F.? I had to do it over again. Because of missing front steering and suspension I had jacked it up so I could back the narrow flatbed hay trailer under it and chain it down. Then I had to change a back tire,okay I air up a extra tire I had until it was hard. I go to jack up the car and my floor jack won't work, W.T.F.? so I add some more oil to it,not much to speak of and then it starts working again. I change the tire and I let the car down and within a couple minutes the tire goes flat W.T.F.? so I add some more air and hurry into my truck. (note; after that it did not leak out again either) Next, the car is in neutral and I try to go but that car won't budge and my truck tires start spinning in the dirt W.T.F.? is happening now? I get out and look, who knows? (like some one was standing on the brakes) I get in the truck,try it again and now it starts to roll, then I get over by the garage area about a 100 feet or so where I want to park this car & suddenly it stops about 10 feet away from where I wanted it and it won't budge, W.T.F.? (again,like some one was standing on the brakes) I jacked it up and put a sheet of plywood under the rear tires to act as a skid, gave it another try, and the car slid along on the plywood. I stopped & I jacked it up, drove the truck and the trailer away, went back to let the car down. Some damn bees came out of now where (no,no nest in the car I checked) decided to buzz me so I left the area,a little later I went back and the now the jack won't release - I got another floor jack from the garage, I got the car down and put blocks with wood under it. I was able to trace the cars history back to a guy who bought a ranch back in the early 1960's, he said the car was left behind by the prior owner. It appears it must have belonged to the prior owners son as the car had checkered flag decals on different parts of the body & the steering wheel had been wrapped neatly with electrical tape. What ever happened to the son who had it? Nobody around or alive anymore to complete the rest of the story.
    <!-- / message -->

17. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I watched a Norton shake at idle so bad it popped itself into gear and lurched into the street. Motorcycles usually don't try to ride off by themselves, but I dunno...

18. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Just standard hot rod building stuff -- sometimes this hobby we all enjoy can be tough on us though.

19. 400 4spd.

400 4spd.

If your experience indicates being cursed, I've been damned to Hell on a few over the years.

20. Sure it can!,after I had all the distributor problems over the last few weeks,,I cursed the car a lot! icon_lol.gif HRP

21. funk 49

funk 49

Over the years I've cursed my cars enough that some times I was forced to create new curse words.

Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy likes this.