Register now to get rid of these ads!

1948 gmc patina or paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by longstory1948gmc, Jul 19, 2014.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Gotta mention this, the lettering on the door of this truck is there for the ONLY valid reason for putting lettering on the door of a truck, the guy who owned the truck also operated Geisler Construction, real company, not some dumb-ass pretentious BS made up to look "ol skool".

AntiBling likes this.
  2. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

@falcongeorge I love those trucks u aren't waisting your breath those are great but I really don't have much to paint the truck and if I did paint it I don't know if I would trust driving it in the winter with all the salt on the roads and bs

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. +1 for the CLR bath. If you don't like it then, paint it.

4. Ah, the aspirations of a 15 yr old mind .

This 600 hp 383 stroker with 6-2bbls in an s10 chassis under a 48 gmc isn't going to do you much good in the snow anyway.

5. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

No s10 chassis and no 6x2 I have realized t won't be the best for me so just a boring old 4bbl

6. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

If I paint it I want something diffrent or wild

7. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

that was the goal of my hole truck, something different that no one expects.

8. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

Also I am big into customs

falcongeorge likes this.
  9. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

Service it up, get it moving/stopping safely and give it a clr bath and call it done. Some like the survivor look, some dont. I'm one that does. There was a 54-55.1 same color as yours in one of the truck magazines this year. Very sharp truck and was cleaned patina.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  10. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

Trying to get image posted.

Attached Files:

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If you are big into customs, and own a '48-'55 chevy PU, the one I showed you and this one are the two real icons. Personally, I like the Ayala/Geisler truck better. Again, all three pics are the same truck over a couple years in the mid fifties.

Dreamtruck19582.jpg
    Dreamtruck1957.jpg
    Dreamtruck1958.jpg

Attached Files:

longstory1948gmc likes this.
  12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Cute.

13. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Man, I don't come here to see this.

Seriously, there must be another site to post this crap.

[​IMG]

X38 and falcongeorge like this.
  14. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

Crap...spell check strikes again...clr bath not clear...

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If you are planning to drive it all winter on salted roads, you DEFINATELY NEED to paint it, even if its just a maaco blitz! Unless you just plan to runit into the ground and scrap it in a year or two...
    Please protect this truck!

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well said...

17. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

I was posting it for an example of what the paint could look like after clr since it is the same color, not as an example how to build it. Not traditional build but I wasn't posting as an endorsement, just cleaned up paint. He is young and suspect limited budget like us all at that age. Run with what you have.

18. indyjps

indyjps

CLR then a heavy coat of turtle wax, or better yet johnsons paste wax-straight carnuba, then buff the hell out of it. Get it running and driving reliably and have fun, fix things as you go, don't take it off the road. If you want to paint it, do single stage non metallic and do a panel at a time, don't take it off the road.

19. please don't build another ugly duckling like this, I would rather drive the rust

Garagekulture13 likes this.
  20. 100_1231.JPG
    here is my in progress gmc, I wish I would have left the old green paint on it. Anyway after all the sand blasting and metal finishing that has been done I decided to put a fake patina paint job on it. I know ,sounds crazy, and some wont like it, but that's life. Please don't hesitate to ask for help, I have a collision class full of eager young'uns such as yourself and we will be keeping up with your progress.

21. AntiBling

AntiBling

Alright here's my two cents on the matter, the minute there's rust showing through, it's time for a paint job. You can try the CLR but I'm gonna guess there will still be rust. Now being 15 I understand money being tight and the fact that you even came here asking about paint, tells me you're not the typical young dumbass that thinks patina is so cool. Good for you. Like others have said, drivability should be your first priority. Get it running and driving well, make sure it's safe, then worry about paint down the road. Rustoleum is cheap and you can afford to practice spraying it before you start a body, and a decent cheap paint job looks better than trying to polish a turd with clear coat over rust or painting pinsrtriping or door signs over rust.

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The cool kids like a good running car.

23. slammed

slammed

IF you care to after a bath of rust removal, rub (over a few days time) layers of #7 GLAZE by that Car Crazy guy on the cable show's Barry M into the remaining PAINT. It will give a nice NON contrived (clear semi gloss or otherwise) look of respectability not fad(e) that the sheep's are grinding into passe. Stay conservative for now, if you add huge-busy pinstripes (like the size on Semi truck's) it will be way too trendy. ALL these suggestions are for you to do homework before beginning any mods. Saving you time and $ as to not have to redo or correct a spur of the moment idea. Clean and very simple for now, then photoshop more custom/Kustom ideas.

24. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Long story----Your a young Dude with a lot of history to write. My advice is make a decision about ----What do I want? A custom? a Radical truck? A survivor? In observation the truck has GREAT patina---but it is dead truck. It has to have every thing to make it a driver. Make it a driver FIRST. The engine/trans/brakes/ride height/driveability should be your first goal. ONCE THAT has been accomplished, you can sit back and be PROUD of getting it on the road. THEN if you want to do something different, you've got the experience, and most likely the REPUTATION to do another or REDO that one. Been around a wile and believe it or not, thats pretty sound advise. BILL RINALDI

25. Well said! I agree completely.

Sent from my KFAPWA using H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

Thanks all of you for your help, I am currently in the process of buying a heidts front suspension pkg, buying motor mounts, buying a rear end, and more. So I am actually going to have this on the road fairly quick. The biggest problem is I need a title...... not if pun but will be done, the truck was never stolen I know the complete history but a bonded title takes a while. I understand the consequences of the rust and the advantage of paint while in truth I am dieing inside to do a mild custom with the truck. The thing was abused it's hole life and I wanna give it a new one where it is taken care of and not sitting outside in the elements or hauling hey, logs, and driving into deep forest. The truck is my pride and joy, even my girlfriend hates the thing. Many of my friends feel it is only worth a couple hundred bucks but I see raw uncarved potential.

27. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

You guys will never know how much of a impact you made/make on me eve though it sounds cheesy it really helps me.

Thanks

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

On a serious note, you're 15 and taking on something that has older guys crying on this website. So, it isn't going to be easy. It's going to take a LOT of hard work. There will be days, when every thing goes as planned. Then, two days later, you'll find out you put something on wrong and have to start all over. This truck is going to kick your ass, before you get her handled. That's the journey and we're stupid enough, or crazy enough to enjoy it.

About the ONLY thing you have going for you now, is the internet and the HAMB. You're years ahead of 90% of the members here, by just posting a picture of it. So, what you may consider doing, is slowing down. Stop making a wish list and start READING and LOOKING at some of the builds on this website. Seriously. See what it takes to have a nice, dependable ride. This shit ain't rocket science, but it sure as hell isn't paint by numbers, either.

Your enthusiasm is a breath of fresh air, but relax for a while. We have ALL been where you are now and we F*CKED up some nice cars, by NOT listening to GOOD advice from folks who screwed up before us.

Just pay attention. There's a reason you don't see cool old cars EVERY freaking where. This shit is just plain HARD work..

29. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

Don't worry I know what is ahead of me it isn't my first build, thanks again. I have always been the odd kid out and my truck is the same way it was the odd one out due to its many options and how it was used. The truck is going to be a traditional 50s/60s custom, my dad, his friends and my neighbor will all be helping with my build and within the next year there will be some dramatic changes to the truck. and this is how I found her ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405829093.917888.jpg

30. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

rub it with boiled linseed oil and call it a day