Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Turbocharging a flathead 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Our 55 is alive!!, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Our 55 is alive!!

Our 55 is alive!!

I'm installing a turbo to my flathead 6. I'm wanting know how I can use a pair of Rochester 1 barrels. Can I use them as a draw thru or do I need to use them as blow thru? Thanks.

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Either way will work. I don't know why you want to use 2 1barrels instead of a 2 barrel. Draw through is easier.

Blow through you have to worry about air leaks from the float bowl and throttle shaft, jetting and tuning. Draw through, they tune like a normal carb.

If you go with the blow through you only need one carb. The pressure makes them flow more air. Then you need to add extra gas to go with it.

On the whole, draw through would be the best and easiest.

Of course EFI would be even better.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

One problem with hi perf flatheads including Dodge, is overheating and cracking of the exhaust valve seat. Cracked blocks in this area are common on hot Fords.

Therefore, it would pay to keep the pressure on the low side. Say, 5 PSI. This should not create any more heat than the stock exhaust system 0r at least not much.

Put the turbo right on the manifold or as close as you can get it. Use a large free flowing exhaust pipe and open turbo muffler. You might even get away with no muffler, a turbo has a muffler effect of its own.

4. daddylama

daddylama

I'd go with draw through as well. tuning is easier, no dealing with fuel pressure (need a rising rate fuel pressure regulator with blow through, to keep fuel flowing into the bowl while at positive/boost pressures)...

draw through can have it's own issues: carb icing in cold weather, startability...

draw through will also practically require carbon seals in the turbo, to cope with fuel in the charge air.

I've built both draw through and blow through (as well as various types of injection) turbos... one thing to keep in mind: BOOST IS ADDICTIVE!

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Search "Salt To Salt" here or Google for lots of info on turbocharged Studebaker six. I had a turbo GMC six. One carb. Two turbos. Ran good.

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Turbo power is good. PT Cruiser...non-turbo is 150 hp, Turbo in 03 is 215hp. wakes up a sleepy little car in a big way. That will do the same to your Dodge!

7. jlhelm

jlhelm
    from Minnesota

I was part of the Salt to Salt team back in 03 through 07. Drove it to a 127.001 record in XF/BGC. It went 135 on the first pass and on the record run it blew the radiator hose off the motor and coasted to a 119 pass. I think that motor dyno,d at about 250 hp.
    Greg Meyers is the Stude guru that still has the motor in a new streetable three wheeler. I saw him in St Paul at Back to the 50's.
    Good memories.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Joe

8. jlhelm

jlhelm
    from Minnesota

BTW, 189 cubic inch Studebaker flathead six draw through with a single four barrel.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Joe