Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1952 CHEVY VIN HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thecrazed(k)666, Jul 17, 2014.

1. thecrazed(k)666

thecrazed(k)666

need help locating the vin on the frame of a 52 Chevy i picked up yesterday.....the vin id guy just left was lazy and didnt want to search for it ...on the othe cars in past ive had hasnt been a problem but i cant find the fucking thing please someone whos owned a 52 and gone thru this please help out here, car is in paint and cant afford to start tearing it apart to find the dam thing ....PLEASE ANY INFO ASAP

2. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

On my truck there is no number on the frame.- just a serial number on the door post and an engine number
    which was what it was registered by. If you know what number your car was registered under in the past
    check to see if it corresponds to an engine number or serial number, there are many sites to look up these
    numbers. Good luck!

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

as far as I know the vin is only in the door jamb on the drivers side windshield post on a little rectangular riveted on piece..

4. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

My 1950 I believe had it on the passenger side behind the front wheel.
    My 57 has it on top of the frame behind the rear end. (driver side)

I know that doesn't nail it down but gives you a couple places to look.

5. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

passenger car VIN is on the drivers side A pillar. I believe the truck has a plate somewhere on the drivers side door post

6. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Found this through a Google search.
    Good luck. Titles are a pain in the ass and getting worse every day.

Attached Files:

7. squirrel

squirrel

the 1980s frame pictured above isn't going to help much with a 1952...they didn't stamp them

8. SimonSez

SimonSez

You didn't say whether it is a car or truck, but this info applies to cars ...

The serial number is supposed to be on a tag on the drivers side pillar - see this page for a picture:
    http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/models/

It is most likely not stamped on the frame - the guys in the 49-54 forum over at Chevy Talk seem to agree that the earliest stamped numbers show up is on 53-54 convertibles.

But, there is a thread over there that shows a stamped number on a frame that is under a 1952 4-door, but who knows if it is the original frame or stamping.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/289138/post/2285706

9. thecrazed(k)666

thecrazed(k)666

thanx for the replys...ya the A pillar is there, they were looking for a second vin, talked to CHP he told me Chevy didnt stamp frames until 54 or 55....so i gota go thru them so theres no question at DMV...

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

probably should have mentioned the vin was right there in the idiots face in your original post.

11. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Body serial # stamped on tag on drivers side A pillar..
    Beware... Most Chevys titled before 1955 are titled under the engine serial number, not the body #... I found this out the hard way recently.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Mine had the original frame and is definitely stamped. That's the only way I was able to obtain the title.
    There is a number on your frame somewhere.
    If I'm not mistaken they started stamping the frames in the late 30's.

13. Babyearl

Babyearl

14. squirrel

squirrel

Don't count on it.

15. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

Us GM truck guys run into the same problem
    No frame stamps (50 in my case)
    I suspect cars are the same way for that era

Best to look at the number on the title.
    You might be able to determine if it looks like an engine number, or S/N from door post or body.
    or maybe an assigned number from an state agency.

Most people advise not to invest in a project untill you get it registered or at least a vin verification.

16. SimonSez

SimonSez

Just curious - what year is yours and where was it stamped?

17. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

It's a 1950 fleetline and I'll have to look again.
    The inspector just found out about a month ago. If I'm not mistaken it is on the passenger side front.

18. My 52 Styleline does not have a serial number stamped on the frame.

19. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

You guys have me questioning it since I didn't actually see the officer go under the car. Only going on what he told me. Did find another thread mentioning this issue and showing a frame number on a 52 Chevy.
    http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/305448/
    If I get time this weekend I'll try to locate the number on the 50 and post a pic also.

20. squirrel

squirrel

Starting in 1955, the fame was stamped with the VIN. So was the tag spot welded to the windshield pillar. They match on all the old Chevys I've looked at.

Neither one of these is the Fisher Body number, that's a whole different thing.

They had the technology, they just didn't do it in the early 50s. Except on a few cars? but we've never seen pictures of that, so who knows if it's real or not.

21. squirrel

squirrel

The frame stamp had to be done before the body was installed, since it's covered by the floor (there are two stamps, one under the floor, the other under the hood)

I think the tag was spot welded on after paint. It's a stainless tag, welded to the steel pillar with two small spot welds, and I don't think it was backed up, since the pillar is a tube.

22. squirrel

squirrel

btw thanks for the input! I think this is the first time I've ever heard from anyone who worked on a car line, on the internet.

23. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

Many states used the engine no. as the "vin" - that's the way my '53 truck is. If your vin starts with the letters "KA-----" then that is the engine number. Problem is - the original engine is probably long gone by now. If this fits your situation, you need to make really good friends with someone at DMV!