Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford Flathead Harrell Intake/Pushrod Problem

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Archie31, Jul 13, 2014.

1. So I just changed my intake on my flathead from an Edmunds to a 2 pot Harrell hi rise intake. I am using the 8.87" long Push Rod which is the longest you can get. Anyone else running a Harrell intake or have had this problems with any other intake. Any help with the length of the pushrod with a Harrell intake or modification? Thank you HAMBERS

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You have two threads going on the same topic.

3. Yeah and flatheads don't have push rods:D

4. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

He,s talking about the fuel pump pushrod.
    So yes,Flatheads do have pushrods

5. Sorry I meant the fuel pump pushrod

6. Yikes, tough crowd.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. 42merc

42merc

If the pushrod you have is short, I'm guessing you're using an 8BA fuel pump stand instead of a '34-'48 stand.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

As '42 says...and note that you have not said what year or type of flathead early or late manifold, type of pump and stand, etc.
    "Flathead" covers a LOT of variations on all parts over 20+ years...

9. Yes they do, look in an old manual. The "lifters" are refered to as "push rods". Just saying. ;)

10. I know all this as I have 2 flatties.Just injecting a little levity:cool:.

11. 48-760

48-760
    from OH

The Harrell intake is much taller than the Ford around the mounting for the fuel pump adaptor so you need an extended fuel pump push rod. The original Ford rods were hard faced at both the cam and the fuel pump ends. Stay with the original Ford Diameter. Have another rod made, or contact [email protected] see if they have the rod available or can give you the Spec. Can also contact http://www.lakeheaders.com/Home.html

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  12. clem

clem

From memory, 8ba push rod is 256 mm, or 10 1/16 inches. I made mine by extending a old one and I made it adjustable. You should be able to work out what you need from measuring/comparing old intake to new. Push rod travel 4 -6 mm. <1/4 inch max

13. 48-760

48-760
    from OH

The original 35 aluminum intake manifold fuel pump adaptor surface is 1.311 to 1.312" tall. This manifold takes the Ford short fuel pump push rod 7.872" long.

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

To carry on...the long rod early manifolds should be 1" over 48-760's dimension. The '49-53 is longer still, but will not fit early pushrod hole. Early pushrod bushing can be pushed into '49 type hole to adapt an 8BA for early rod use.

15. It is a 40 ford flathead and I am using 32-48 flathead fuel pump pushrod. Any ideas on lengthening it? It is about a half inch too short.

16. clem

clem

I drilled and tapped a 5/16" ? UNC thread, in top end, put a bolt in with a lock nut, makes it adjustable. Works great . May have rounded bolt head a little to fit inside lever mechanism.